PDA

View Full Version : 1917 gibson f-2

pezdork
Feb-12-2016, 8:20am
https://youtu.be/zXtv9GHZ0GA

Apologies for the crappy playing. The quality. I work with what I have ill post a comparison with my washburn.

multidon
Feb-12-2016, 8:55am
Do you really expect it to even be a close contest between the F2 and the Washburn? Seriously?

Yours has a lovely tone, very typical. In spite of the popularity of the F5, there are many for whom the F2/4 is the ideal mandolin. Many also consider it the most beautiful mandolin ever made visually. Enjoy it.

Are you going to trim those strings down at the headstock? That would drive me nuts! :) To each his own, I guess.

Have you had it to a luthier yet to address the issues you noted earlier? I would be worried about having it strung up to tension until the loose brace was addressed.

pezdork
Feb-12-2016, 6:02pm
Its not a loose brace in so much as there is no movement it just looks like your could fit a piece of paper like maybe s a quarter inch. Call me wreckless but ill be visiting my luthier on sunday...til then she will get played...I just can't resist.

Dont knock my washburn. I happen to think its great sounding and highly underrated...but its not even close to this thing lol.

Gop
Feb-13-2016, 10:05am
Always a pleasure to hear an F2, especially pre 20's. Your 1917 instrument is a gem, thank the gods - and a clever luthier. By the way, what string and gauge did you use.

pezdork
Feb-13-2016, 3:10pm
Are you going to trim those strings down at the headstock? That would drive me nuts! :) To each his own, I guess.

I forgot to mention. Thats an old habit that I usually reserve for my guitars. I kinda like how much it annoys people (the contrarian in me). But I will be trimming them for some reason annoys me on my mandolins too. In this case im a cheap skate and intend to keep this set of strings (new set or martin mandolin strings) as a back up.