PDA

View Full Version : Samick Mini Guitar

softshell
May-07-2005, 7:20am
I just bought a Samick mini guitar, put on some heavy strings and tuned it mandola style (I guess).
F,C,G,D,A
I took the high string off but I suppose I could have left it on.
With the humbucker pickup and a great sounding tube amp it has a killer sound. I might change the pickup, who knows.
Sure beats paying a couple thousand for a dedicated 5-string electric, especially if you are playing the instrument just for kicks.

mandocrucian
May-07-2005, 10:16am
What's the scale on it? 19"? #Why not tune it G-D-A-E-a? That way, you are down an octave in the electric guitar register and don't have to transpose in your head so much. The extra bit of fretboard where the 6th string 'was' will let you push bend on the low G string. (The 4th interval on top will come in handy when you get used to it.)

I usually respace the strings a little bit at the nut. Cut a new slot between slots 6 & 5 for the low G, and move the others over a bit. #Just gives you a little more space between the strings which is convenient if you are doing a lot of bending.

Beats me why folks want to rush out and pay $500 and up for the first single string e-mando they've played, when for $100-$150 you can do a conversion (which is primarily changing the tuning) and be in a lower register where the instrument is functionally a whole lot more versatile. If you gotta have the short scale, slap on a capo.

For a hundred bucks, take off the neck and hardware and put it on another body, and spend $65 for a better quality pickup. #Where you gonna find a finished fretted neck for that price?

Uncle Scrooge McCrucian

mad dawg
May-07-2005, 4:27pm
I was thinking of doing a similar conversion on one of Epi's Mini-V short-scale guitars. (I don't know when I'll get around to trying that, though.)

billkilpatrick
May-07-2005, 6:23pm
which samick mini did you get? the mini avion in black looks terrific. can we see a photo of yours?

altogether different but i have a classical guitar made by samick and it's wonderful - sturdily built in moody looking, laminate mahogany but with a great tone. they don't seem to enjoy a good reputation, however, which i think is unfair.

curious - bill

delsbrother
May-08-2005, 1:37am
I like the mini-Fenders better than the mini-Epis - the scale's a little longer and the neck and fretwork are much nicer. If you squint at them they actually look like Strats - the Epis look like what they are: a plank of wood with a short neck and a cheap pickup.. Lots of both were on sale last Christmas; I'm hoping they'll show up even cheaper at flea markets or the 'bay.

Brad Weiss
Jun-06-2005, 6:49pm
This sounds cool! What gauge strings do you use for a GDAEb conversion? Could make a cool OM, no- ! #Anybody convert an electric bass- seems more straightforward for a 4 string