PDA

View Full Version : Neoclassical Tailpiece Cover Removal

BlueMt.
Feb-09-2016, 7:24pm
I thought I should ask before I break something. I just acquired a used Phoenix Neoclassical which has an ebony cover on the tailpiece; does the cover simply slide off like a metal one? If it does, it's on there really tight.

Thanks.

Eric F.
Feb-09-2016, 7:29pm
I'd ask Rolfe. Man, I've wanted one of those for ages. ...

Don Grieser
Feb-09-2016, 9:27pm
If it's like the one I had, the tailpiece has exposed hooks on the underside on the bridge side for the strings. The ebony is just a decorative piece. It's a 1-piece tailpiece designed by Rigel I think. There is no cover to slide off.

BlueMt.
Feb-09-2016, 9:34pm
If it's like the one I had, the tailpiece has exposed hooks on the underside on the bridge side for the strings. The ebony is just a decorative piece. It's a 1-piece tailpiece designed by Rigel I think. There is no cover to slide off.

Well, no wonder I couldn't get it off! :redface: Thanks! Don.

Don Grieser
Feb-09-2016, 10:09pm
You're welcome! That ebony is stuck on with some super double-sided tape. If it ever comes off, get in touch with Rolfe or Jenny. They'll get you fixed up. Sounds like yours is stuck on really good.

Bob Clark
Feb-09-2016, 10:11pm
Don is right. But if you ever have a reason to get it off, ask Rolfe. I asked him about one I was looking at a while ago in which the cover was crooked and he told me how to get it off. I ended up passing on that one and buying a new one anyway (timing just wasn't right).

I have never felt as comfortable with any instrument before. These are truly remarkable mandolins. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Best wishes,

Bob

BlueMt.
Feb-10-2016, 11:04am
Fortunately, I asked before making a real effort to remove it. I bought it because of issues with my hands related to age and overuse; I'm hoping it will let me continue to play for years to come. Thanks, for the info and well wishes.