PDA

View Full Version : Music is a language: Victor Wooten

Don Grieser
Feb-09-2016, 11:48am
Worth giving a listen.

2zvjW9arAZ0

Randi Gormley
Feb-09-2016, 12:21pm
Interesting. I like the idea of instilling music as if it were language, but I think you still need to be able to play an instrument before you can get much music out of it -- and, as a parent, I certainly corrected my childrens' pronunciation and grammar as they were learning to speak and that didn't seem to in any way hinder their freedoms -- either of speech or opinion. Perhaps with an instrument where the notes are easily found by touching -- drum, harp, piano/keyboard or guitar/bass -- and even mandolin -- you can find music before you know anything about the instrument. I don't see that working as easily with, say, flute or oboe or trumpet (regardless of what Harold Hill said!). I do think he's right when he says that people segregate music from life too much and I really liked the analogy of having beginner speakers mixing immediately with experts and the beginners rising up to meet them. all in all, some good talking points.

bingoccc
Feb-09-2016, 12:52pm
I saw that video a while back and it was wonderful. I grew up in a house where no one else played music and I feel I missed so much.

bigskygirl
Feb-09-2016, 7:08pm
He discussed this point in his book "The Music Lesson" which I read recently and enjoyed very much.

Dan Krhla
Feb-09-2016, 8:40pm
+1 to "The Music Lesson". What a wonderful book for anyone who plays an instrument.