PDA

View Full Version : Nava: quilted maple and walnut

GarY Nava
Feb-07-2016, 1:03pm
What a tense week it’s been. Last Sunday we packed this mandolin ready for its 6000 mile trip to Japan and off it went with UPS on Monday. Being able to track packages is both marvellous and nerve wracking. From us to East Midlands Airport to Cologne, Germany to Hong Kong and finally Tokyo!
You can imagine our relief when we received an email from a very happy Youhei in Japan.
Here are a few choice photos of his mandolin; quilted maple back and side, walnut neck, head overlay and binding, European spruce soundboard.
Cheers Gary.

Jill McAuley
Feb-07-2016, 2:04pm
Wow, that is gorgeous! The new owner is very lucky indeed!

Eric F.
Feb-07-2016, 2:42pm
That is a work of art, Gary. Truly beautiful.

Shelagh Moore
Feb-07-2016, 2:59pm
Beautiful work as always Gary!

Ron McMillan
Feb-07-2016, 10:54pm
As everyone else rightly said, this is lovely. Now for the boring equipment question: are those Rubner tuners?

ron

Denman John
Feb-08-2016, 12:28am
Gary makes some of the most beautiful mandolins being made today. One day when my ship comes in ...

Tavy
Feb-08-2016, 4:35am
Very nice indeed!

And yes, those round-about-routes that overseas shipping sometimes follow can be nerve racking indeed... sometimes I think we'd be better off without the constant tracking!

GarY Nava
Feb-08-2016, 11:23am
As everyone else rightly said, this is lovely. Now for the boring equipment question: are those Rubner tuners?

ron

Thanks Guys for all the positive comments!

Ron, the tuners are Schallers on this one. Their quality seems (to me) to have improved recently. I'm generally happy using either Schallers or Gotoh M40. I've yet to try Rubner- but I have a client who's having a set of Robsons, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on those!
Cheers Gary

billhay4
Feb-08-2016, 12:09pm
Lovely work, Gary.
Bill

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-09-2016, 2:06am
Glorious work yet again Gary. The wood combination is as good as i've ever seen - awesome !. I'd tend to agree re.the Schallers & Gotoh tuners. I have both on my mandolins & both work superbly well. I believe that a friend on mine & fellow UK Cafe member Ray(T),has a set of Robson tuners on one of his mandolins, & he speaks very highly indeed of them,
Ivan;)

Russ Donahue
Feb-14-2016, 8:28am
Envy.

Francis J
Feb-14-2016, 8:58am
That is a beautiful piece of work Gary, stunning wood, impeccable workmanship.

Ron McMillan
Feb-14-2016, 9:24am
Thanks Guys for all the positive comments!

Ron, the tuners are Schallers on this one. Their quality seems (to me) to have improved recently. I'm generally happy using either Schallers or Gotoh M40. I've yet to try Rubner- but I have a client who's having a set of Robsons, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on those!
Cheers Gary

I'm extremely happy with the quality of the Robsons I now have on my A4, so I expect you'll be delighted with them too.

ron