PDA

View Full Version : Hateful 8

banjoboy
Feb-07-2016, 12:24pm
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this. I was disappointed to hear about the destruction of the vintage guitar while shooting the movie. But my question is why in the world would Martin think it was a good idea to lend a priceless vintage guitar out to a movie production company? Why couldn't an everyday cheap guitar have been used? I'm sure they could have distressed it to look authentic.

Whoops, never mind. I now see there is another thread.

Marvino
Feb-07-2016, 1:56pm
In my opinion it was all planned for publicity, which seems to have worked. There would have been several fail safes put in place if it was as priceless as they say, let alone if it was as priceless as they say, it probably would not have been on a movie set in a normal situation. But the publicity being received for Martin and the movie, I would assume far out ways the value of the guitar.

multidon
Feb-07-2016, 2:02pm
There is already a thread that has been ongoing on this subject:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?121667-Be-careful-to-whom-you-loan-your-instruments

Maybe the moderators can merge them?

G7MOF
Feb-10-2016, 5:09am
Thankfully this wasn't a priceless mandolin, It is funny though!!!

https://youtu.be/YKiAhTbpL4Y

Sorry I don't know how to embed videos.

Al Trujillo
Feb-10-2016, 3:23pm
Banjo's on the other hand......��

mrmando
Feb-10-2016, 3:47pm
In my opinion it was all planned for publicity.
Ridiculous. Please explain how (a) making themselves look foolish by loaning an antique guitar and (b) straight-faced lying about the destruction of said guitar is a winning publicity move for Martin. As for the film, please explain how a story meant to generate publicity for the film somehow doesn't hit the news until five weeks after the film's release, when it has already dropped to No. 18 in weekly box-office receipts.

Marvino
Feb-10-2016, 11:38pm
Ridiculous. Please explain how (a) making themselves look foolish by loaning an antique guitar and (b) straight-faced lying about the destruction of said guitar is a winning publicity move for Martin. As for the film, please explain how a story meant to generate publicity for the film somehow doesn't hit the news until five weeks after the film's release, when it has already dropped to No. 18 in weekly box-office receipts.

No

Petrus
Feb-11-2016, 2:45am
Interesting how fast conspiracy theories start being spun. Maybe someone could contact the Martin museum directly for confirmation.

BTW, I haven't seen the film, just the clip in question. I may check out the movie when it's available at the library. I'm not giving any more money to Tarantino (not because of the guitar fiasco specifically, my feelings go back prior to this incident.)

Bertram Henze
Feb-11-2016, 3:04am
I'd sure trust Mr Tarantino to invent facts, for that matter. He once invented the non-existing Big Kahuna Burger* and a heavily modified version of the existing Ezekiel 25:17 passage in one single scene.

* later, recipes for that turned up on the web, as if for posterity. Life seems to be just a merchandise. Maybe Mr Tarantino invented the Martin Guitar Company, too... :whistling:

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-11-2016, 3:11am
From what i've read in the original thread on this topic - it is true. An irreplaceable Martin guitar was loaned for filming the scene where it would be played. However,it was to be replaced by a cheap replica for when it was smashed. Somehow things didn't go to plan & the 'real' guitar got trashed - big time !!. If none of this is actually true,then Martin are going to be seen & fools & liars if the truth comes out. I don't think that's going to happen. Martin made a grave error of judgement in making the loan in the first place,lying about it's destruction could only make them seem totally ludicrous,
Ivan;)

Bertram Henze
Feb-11-2016, 3:29am
...how the movie should have continued:

Russel (smashing guitar): music time is over.
Leigh (wide-eyed): whoa! whoa! that was a real historic Martin guitar you just smashed! have you no sense of history?
Russel (dragging Tutankhamun's mummy from a chest in one corner, ripping off one leg and starting to gnaw on it): No.

...I mean: would it make the scene more absurdly tarantinoid than it already is? I think not. :cool: