PDA

View Full Version : Missing my Breedlove - Might buy a Chinese one

colorado_al
Feb-05-2016, 10:01pm
Sold my upgraded Breedlove Quartz KF mandolin and Taylor 410E guitar in order to build up my collection. I bought an Eastman MD505, Eastman MD805D, Kentucky KM675, and a Martin 3/4 LX1E guitar, and a 40 watt acoustic amp. I'm pretty happy that I parleyed 2 nice instruments into 4 nice instruments and an amp. I'm really enjoying playing the Eastmans especially. Both have great tone, each different than the other, and also all very different than my Breedlove.
That being said, I miss the Breedlove and wished I could have kept it instead of selling to facilitate the other purchases.

Anyhow, I'm eyeing the new Breedlove 2016 Crossover FF. Looks like it will have a street price of $700. About $1700 less than the Leagacy/Quartz FF.

http://breedlovemusic.com/mandolins/ff-sb

Certainly looks like a step up from the early 2014 Crossover and the 2015 Crossover.
Has a truss rod & 1 piece tailpiece.
Might check it out when available in early March.
Edit- Actually looks like they will start shipping by 2/9/16

Anyone seen/played one yet?

pheffernan
Feb-06-2016, 7:31am
Anyhow, I'm eyeing the new Breedlove 2016 Crossover FF. Looks like it will have a street price of $700. About $1700 less than the Leagacy/Quartz FF.

The same $700 could probably get you into a used American made Breedlove OO or OF. I've seen them go for less.

soliver
Feb-06-2016, 8:06am
That's really nice looking!... I have not been a big fan of the look of all the breedloves I've seen, but this looks really nice. And a good price for an F too!

colorado_al
Feb-06-2016, 1:47pm
The same $700 could probably get you into a used American made Breedlove OO or OF. I've seen them go for less.

Right. I'm pretty sure I could find a Premier/Quartz OF for $700 too. I'm guessing that some these new FF will start showing up at $500 within 6 months as customer returns or blems, or less on the used market within a year. I'm interested to see how they play and sound compared to the American made ones.

multidon
Feb-06-2016, 2:07pm
Al, I sent you a PM.

colorado_al
Feb-06-2016, 2:17pm
Al, I sent you a PM.

Thanks!
I'm actually scoping out a Breedlove Premier OF that I saw on a certain auction site.
I'm going to keep my eye on it, but I'm curious to play one of the Chinese FF models. A local Breedlove dealer said they should have one in next week for me to check out.

Edit- Already found an online seller who is asking $587 for the 2016 Crossover FF

music man
Feb-07-2016, 9:31am
If you like a good mandolin Northfield makes some really fine instruments.they are good quality for a Chinese

Ron McMillan
Feb-07-2016, 9:39am
Edit- Already found an online seller who is asking $587 for the 2016 Crossover FF

That looks like a lot of mandolin for under 600 bucks. I tried a couple of the Chinese-made Breedlove A models at a store in Scotland last year, and considering the price bracket they occupied, I was very impressed by them.

Bill Snyder
Feb-07-2016, 9:58am
If you like a good mandolin Northfield makes some really fine instruments.they are good quality for a Chinese

He is looking at spending $700 and you are suggesting a $3,000.00 mandolin.

colorado_al
Feb-07-2016, 3:10pm
I just bought a Kentucky KM-1050 that was way too good a deal to pass up! Guess the Breedlove will have to wait. I'm certainly going to go play it when it shows up at the local store, but no money for it now. I'll report back once I've had the chance to play the new Breedlove.

music man
Feb-07-2016, 4:20pm
You might find a used A style for 1500 but yes that's still twice the money he might want to spend. Northfield are pricey

colorado_al
Feb-09-2016, 2:09am
No way! I just noticed that the Breedlove KF that I previously owned just got listed in the MC classifieds!
Just bought a Kentucky, so I don't have anywhere near the money to buy it back.
Whoever picks it up, I'm jealous!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Zach Wilson
Feb-09-2016, 2:45pm
I love the look of the KF and I am jealous as well. Id jump on that sell but I just bought a Tele. Ugh, GAS.

colorado_al
Feb-10-2016, 12:37am
And it's sold.

jefe214
Feb-22-2016, 7:35pm
I just got my hands on one of these 2016 Breedlove FF just in time to try it out for a gig this past weekend. Without question, I was shocked at the fit, finish, and playability. It took me a bit to get used to the wider nut, but it didn't take long to get used to it.

One big thing, out-of-the-box this Breedlove was pretty loud. I'm not the most accomplished player, but I've sat in with those playing Collings, Webers, etc. and this certainly can hang volume wise. Considerably more low-mid bark and greater sustain than my Driftwood.

I know there are many threads regarding Chinese imports and the stigma along with it. If Breedlove truly stands behind their QC when they receive/setup in Oregon, I can't find any glaring faults with this instrument at its price point. Great value. In fact, I may just purchase it since it was so fun to play on stage.

If you can find one locally, I highly encourage anyone to try it out and provide their own feedback.

The blonde mando in the photo is my Driftwood #5 (pre-Poe).

colorado_al
Feb-22-2016, 9:09pm
Nice to hear!
I've seen it as low as $630 at Musician's Friend with coupon code AFF0889
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/breedlove-2016-crossover-ff-mandolin/j31250000002000
Free shipping and no tax.
I might have to pick one up and test it out. I just bought a Kentucky KM-1050 though.

DHopkins
Feb-22-2016, 9:27pm
Reverb.com has several Breedloves listed.

darrylicshon
Feb-22-2016, 11:37pm
At first i didn't care for the scroll, but i have become used to it , i would like to try one out.

jefe214
Feb-23-2016, 1:32am
Colorado_al, If you are in Boulder, I'd be happy to meet up with you sometime to give it a whirl. I'm in Lafayette but work in Boulder.

colorado_al
Feb-23-2016, 4:25am
Colorado_al, If you are in Boulder, I'd be happy to meet up with you sometime to give it a whirl. I'm in Lafayette but work in Boulder.

Thanks! I'm out of town until mid March. I'll PM you when I get back.