PDA

View Full Version : Comparing kentucky mandolins to gibsons

jfrebel
Feb-05-2016, 1:56am
This is directed at those of you with experience playing gibsons particularly the newer models signed by dave harvey such as the f9 and f5g, as well as playing kentucky mandolins such as the km-150, km-950, km-1050 etc. (the newer models)

how do they compare? volume? low notes, on the G string, high notes, mid range, sustain, tonal qualities, (brighter, deeper,woody, bell like etc)

did you have a preference? as in if you had to choose one, which would it be and why? did you like both but for different reasons? maybe you liked one for bright happy music and other for sad dark music?

I don't have the option to go and try a bunch of kentucky and gibson mandolins to see for myself so I figured I'd get input those of you who have had that opportunity.

let me end by saying that I know this is subjective and there is no "right answer" folks will differ, some may prefer kentucky models, others gibson, others may like both or neither, and all of that is that's okay, I'm just hoping to get an idea from reading posts from those who have played them. all viewpoints welcome.

Thanks!

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-05-2016, 2:33am
From the OP - "let me end by saying that I know this is subjective and there is no "right answer" folks will differ, ...". You're a wise man !. There would be as many opinions as there were players playing one or the other. Another thing,it depends to an extent on the price point of the mandolins you're interested in - although that's not always the case. I've only had the opportunity to play one Gibson mandolin over here,a ''Sam Bush'' model belonging to a good friend of mine & it's excellent (IMHO).
The general concensus on here, seems to be that the current range of Gibson mandolins produced under Dave Harvey's guidance,are as good as any Gibsons ever made ( & better than some made in the past). I too don't have a conveniently close mandolin store to visit to try out 'whatever',so i've made 3 x 500+ mile round trips to the best store in the UK to do just that though,& maybe you should consider making a trip to a really good store simply to hear for yourself the differences & to 'feel' the playability of a variety of instruments.
Any opinions re. mandolins expressed on here are exactly that. You may agree or disagree,but you'd have to hear those mandolins yourself to be able to do so. There's no substitute for personal experience,
Ivan;)

almeriastrings
Feb-05-2016, 2:49am
The KM's represent excellent value. They are very good "for the money", so to speak. They are also well made and have a deserved reputation as one of the better instruments in their price range, and even somewhat above.

If you were to ask me "as they are good as a current Gibson F-5?" I would have to say that in my experience (and I have owned several KM's over the years), they are not. They are, however, better (by quite a margin) than some Gibson F5's produced in the past... the early 70's models, for example. I'd take a nice KM-1500 over a 1974 Gibson F-5 anyday. As Ivan says, though, the current Dave Harvey signed Gibson's are really, really nice. Worth the money? I think so.

jfrebel
Feb-05-2016, 5:51am
Ivan, if I get the chance to try out mandolins I'll jump on it. LOL

almeriastrings, what specifically did you notice as different and what do you like about current gibsons over the kentuckys?

volume? tone? bass response? treble, etc? Thanks! Ivan I guess the same can apply to you regarding that sam bush vs other mandolins?

right now I've got a killer km-150. well other than the bass string (G) which I find weak and wanting.

I've tried both a weber gallatin and a km-1050. the weber sounded quiet and muted, and 1050 sounded brighter but otherwise no real difference.

I've heard the gibson is louder than kentucky mandolins, and have a stronger bass (G) string. if that's true, that's worth considering an upgrade.

almeriastrings
Feb-05-2016, 6:24am
almeriastrings, what specifically did you notice as different and what do you like about current gibsons over the kentuckys?

volume? tone? bass response? treble, etc?

It is not easy to describe... you really have to hear it.

In general... there is more "warmth" and low end on the Gibson's, and balance and clarity right across the spectrum is more "present". It is well worth the effort to spend some time with a range of different mandolins... only then do you really begin to appreciate the various differences.

CES
Feb-05-2016, 8:07am
Ham sandwich time...if your looking for more bass, check out Silverangels. Ken really builds that into them.

Regarding your actual question, I'd want to play the specific mandos side by side, as I've seen significant variability witching both brands (more so with Kentucky mandos < 800 dollars than their upper tier instruments, and less so with Gibson in general).

Astro
Feb-05-2016, 8:17am
The Gibson is fuller, richer, deeper bottom end in general. The Kentucky's are great mandolins too and some may prefer one and others may prefer others and these are generalizations anyway. I have a Harvey 5FG and have played about a half dozen Kentucky's. Sometimes what I like varies from one day to the next. I understand your question and the reason for asking it and its fun to explore, ponder, and to have an opinion.

But my advice is, get the Kentucky. It will be awhile before you will be able to play good enough to appreciate the tonal differences. It will take awhile to even know what tones you prefer. Its even more important to learn what your tactile/playability preferences are (thick neck, thin neck, wide nut, narrow nut ect). Then after a couple years on the lesser expensive mandos, you will really be able to appreciate better the nuances folks try (and often fail) to describe. As someone said above, take every opportunity to play as many as you can. Try not to stress over the nuances at first, you will eventually gravitate toward what you want and there is no reason to get the perfect mando from the start because the journey toward that is soo much fun. (PS, I asked pretty close to the same question when I started and got pretty much the same answer).

UsuallyPickin
Feb-05-2016, 8:46am
Gibson's have punch or what many call "woody" low end tone and generally good balance across the strings, they bark. The higher end Kentucky's have a clear ring , pristine, is a good descriptive but lack volume. This description does not include the Sumi shop Kentucky instruments what are excellent... top tier. Of course if you play enough mandolins you will find instruments that bend the generalities about any brand. A thousand to fifteen hundred dollar Kentucky mandolin will stand an aspiring mandolinist in good stead until they develop as a player and decide which higher end mandolins tone they prefer. R/

nickster60
Feb-05-2016, 9:03am
I have have played a Kentucky 1000, a Gibson f5 modern and Weber Bitteroot side by side. The Gibson had that classic bluegrass sound fit and finish were good. The Bitterroot was built like a tank and was loud and had the Weber sound. The Kentucky sounded ok and played well but it felt cheap compared to the other two. As others have said they are good for the money.

BrianWilliam
Feb-05-2016, 9:34am
Km150 vs Harvey F5G? Worlds apart in every aspect including price.

This can't be a serious comparison. Right?

Steve Ostrander
Feb-05-2016, 9:57am
Km150 vs Harvey F5G? Worlds apart in every aspect including price.

This can't be a serious comparison. Right? ]

Perhaps the OP meant km1500.

I agree with what Almeriastrings said. The kms 900 and above are very good and I prefer them to Eastman and The Loar. I have owned a km855 that was good and a km900 that was excellent. The km900 had volume equal to my F9, but a very different tone. Sweeter, more overtones, a little more sustain and not as dry as the F9. But the F9 cost 3x as much. Is it 3x better? No, just different. The F9 has more of a bluegrass tone.

BrianWilliam
Feb-05-2016, 10:04am
Heh, maybe.

FWIW, I think the km150 is great for the $130 I spent on it.

Eric C.
Feb-05-2016, 10:14am
Gibson's have punch or what many call "woody" low end tone and generally good balance across the strings, they bark. The higher end Kentucky's have a clear ring , pristine, is a good descriptive but lack volume. This description does not include the Sumi shop Kentucky instruments what are excellent... top tier. Of course if you play enough mandolins you will find instruments that bend the generalities about any brand. A thousand to fifteen hundred dollar Kentucky mandolin will stand an aspiring mandolinist in good stead until they develop as a player and decide which higher end mandolins tone they prefer. R/

My 2013 KM-950 certainly doesn't lack in volume and cuts thru large jams very easily. I played a new KM-1000 this week and it blew my socks off. Whatever Saga is doing right now, they are doing it right!

J Mangio
Feb-05-2016, 10:38am
I picked up a KM-1000 for a back up in 2012
My f-9 and KM 1000 are set up the the same; strings, action, etc.
I chose the '12 KM 1000 because it had the same neck profile as my F 9
and the specs were very close.
For my taste, I chose the KM 1000 for a daily player, they both are tone monsters
but the look of the Kentucky grabs me most.

JeffD
Feb-05-2016, 11:24am
But my advice is, get the Kentucky. It will be awhile before you will be able to play good enough to appreciate the tonal differences. It will take awhile to even know what tones you prefer. Its even more important to learn what your tactile/playability preferences are

I disagree. Well partly.

I do agree that with experience one does acquire a better discernment, and also some distinct preferences.

But I am also not a fan of getting the mandolin you almost want, in the hopes of someday getting what you want. I say get the very best you can afford. If you have some discernment yet to acquire, you will get it playing the best as much as any other. How cool will it be when, down the line, you realize (as I have) you already own the mandolin you would have wanted had you known what to want. And what joy to have a mandolin complex enough to be itself a journey of discovery.

jim simpson
Feb-05-2016, 11:56am
I met Gordon Titcomb back when he was playing with Arlo Guthrie. Gordon owned a number of Kentucky KM-1000's (Japan), he told me that his Kentucky was the closest he could get to his previously owned L. Loar - quite a comparison. I owned one back then and currently own a more recent example. I like the current neck profile so much more than what I used to own. It stands up quite nicely as a great player and seems like it should sell for more than what they do.

DataNick
Feb-05-2016, 12:30pm
Kentuckys are "different", with their own tonal vibe that is different from era to era; and while I prefer Gibsons, some really good players I know play Kentuckys; John Moore for one!

Stevo75
Feb-05-2016, 12:51pm
Are all of the Kentuckys made in Japan? The KM 1500 is top of the line, right?

Eric C.
Feb-05-2016, 12:53pm
Kentuckys are made in China. Not sure if they still make the KM-5000 or not. KM1500 is a very fine mandolin. But so are the KM 1000, 1050's, 900's and 950's.

DataNick
Feb-05-2016, 1:02pm
Kentuckys are made in China...

And used to be made in Japan and I believe Korea for a time as well...

Eric C.
Feb-05-2016, 1:09pm
Correct. I took Steve's question to mean "currently".

MikeEdgerton
Feb-05-2016, 2:22pm
For anyone that can't tell the difference between their Kentucky and a Gibson please realize the blessing you've been given. You have a reprieve from one aspect of MAS that is going to save you some real money. I'm serious.

lflngpicker
Feb-05-2016, 3:44pm
I have owned a KM-1000 and a Gibson F-9. I liked both very much. Both had great playability. The KM-1000 had a wonderful flat fretboard, and a bright, ringing tone. The Gibson had a wonderful woody tone, with a sweet base reverberating through the body. They talk about how they tune the chamber as it is carved and assembled. I thought the Kentucky played a bit more easily, though the Gibson had been radiused. The Gibson fit and finish was far superior, but my KM-1000 may have been an exception. I say all this having sold the F-9 to buy a Gibson guitar I needed to play at church. I am replacing it with a minty KM-805, rarely mentioned as one of the nice Kentucky's. It is a bit more expensive than the KM-900 or close to the same, depending on where you buy it. It has block inlays and a flower pot inlay, making it very much like a Gibson Sam Bush model. It will arrive this afternoon. All I can say is, Collings MT and Gibson F-9 are the best mandolins I have owned, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the now four Kentucky's I have experienced first hand. :mandosmiley: I will let you know how this one sounds: 143369

jfrebel
Feb-05-2016, 4:12pm
Somebody asked if I was comparing the km-150 to a Gibson. Nope. I've never touched a Gibson or seen one in person. I've no idea. Based on the input so far though, it sounds like the Gibson is better sounding. It's very likely what I'll be getting.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-05-2016, 4:17pm
My 2013 KM-950 certainly doesn't lack in volume and cuts thru large jams very easily. I played a new KM-1000 this week and it blew my socks off. Whatever Saga is doing right now, they are doing it right!

Your KM-950 is a killer Eric. I don't know what it sounded like out of the box, but I'd say it's good evidence that "whipping it like a rented mule" brings out the best!

mandroid
Feb-05-2016, 4:35pm
Put some Money in a Travel Budget and go to a Place
which has a wide selection to Play .. in person.

Why take second hand Opinions when you can form Your Own ..

A friend working in a Retail shop selling Them, shop went to the Eastman Warehouse

so They could try a dozen lookalike Mandolins to find the one
that sounded attractively to their Ears..

Me, I have a 90 year old Gibson A, My F came from Czechoslovakia.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Feb-05-2016, 5:20pm
I've played quite a few Kentuckys (mostly KM900 and KM1000, and a couple KM1500), and all of them while pretty good sounding, they lack both depth and tone complexity with more refined mandolins like Gibson or Collings, or Northfield among the ones I've played. The Kentuckys can be really loud and great for jams, but the loud ones tend to sound a bit harsh to my eyes. So I wouldn't put them in the same category.

Jeff Mando
Feb-05-2016, 6:55pm
duplicate post

Jeff Mando
Feb-05-2016, 6:57pm
For anyone that can't tell the difference between their Kentucky and a Gibson please realize the blessing you've been given. You have a reprieve from one aspect of MAS that is going to save you some real money. I'm serious.

Same with guys who aren't "into" cars................you can save alot by going with basic transportation! :mandosmiley:

CES
Feb-05-2016, 9:28pm
I've played quite a few Kentuckys (mostly KM900 and KM1000, and a couple KM1500), and all of them while pretty good sounding, they lack both depth and tone complexity with more refined mandolins like Gibson or Collings, or Northfield among the ones I've played. The Kentuckys can be really loud and great for jams, but the loud ones tend to sound a bit harsh to my eyes. So I wouldn't put them in the same category.

Yep. My KM 675S will hold up volume wise with anything, but the complexity of tone is quite lacking. It was built the first year they moved to China, and they were still working out kinks. Later offers are much better.

I stand by my original statement. I've played a few Gibson A9 and f5g/f5Ls that weren't very good, and I've played some that would keep anyone happy for life. I have some issues with the way Gibson has handled their dealers and warranty issues over the years, admitting that the folk instrument division is better than the company as a whole (thanks's, Joe, Dave, etc, for just handling things when you needed to, I have no personal experience with these issues). I think, in general, current Gibsons are over priced compared to what private builders and importers like Northfield are putting out. The MM series may be an exception. Loars are obviously insanely priced, but I've been fortunate to play 2, and one was worth it, and I very much understand and appreciate the history. The other one was very good, a Virzi model, and was no where close to the Red Diamond and Giacomel I've played, but I have no objection to the price because of the history.

I totally appreciate Gibson's history, and have no objection to those who think that only a Gibson will do. I'm just not solidly in that camp. Historically, Kentucky and Gibson are no where close to the same plane, but some of Kentucky's better offerings equal or exceed some of Gibson's "dawgs," which they'd never admit were dogs...FWIW, which I realize isn't much...

jasona
Feb-05-2016, 11:56pm
It is not easy to describe... you really have to hear it.

In general... there is more "warmth" and low end on the Gibson's, and balance and clarity right across the spectrum is more "present". It is well worth the effort to spend some time with a range of different mandolins... only then do you really begin to appreciate the various differences.

You also, and no offense to either you or past me who went "meh" at his first spin on a Gilchrist, have to learn how to listen to tone. As a beginner, if you hear no difference between a Kentucky and Gibson, there is none, go for less expensive. By the time you start to hear the limitations of your instrument, then and only then is it worth your time to upgrade to something you would rather hear. This of course assumes a good set up, but that goes without saying.

I used to own and love a Kentucky 150s. I now play a Laura Ratcliff A5, which sounds equally good or better to my ear to Phoenixes, Gibsons, Collings, Passernigs, and even some Heidens I have played with at jams. Is it better? Naw, just if I can't hear a difference, there isn't one to me, especially for the price. I would however trade it in a heart beat for this one Gibson Master Model (Derrington prototype) I got to play once, and the Loar at the same jam. Well, also that blacktopped Gilchrist that SternArt had there as well, that thing...wow.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-06-2016, 3:42am
From jfrebel - "....it sounds like the Gibson is better sounding. It's very likely what I'll be getting.". ''Better sounding'' - that's one person's opinion against another's. If you're going to be 'buying blind',then make sure that the store has a good returns policy in the case of you not liking the mandolin for any reason. It's not just the sound of the instrument that's important,it's the 'feel' of it & it's playability that's almost as important. That's the reason i still think that you should maybe find a really good store & take a trip to visit it,to try as many mandolins as you can.
You don't give your location,but i'm sure that there are many folks on here who could point you in the right direction to a good enough store so you could play & hear for yourself. Buying a good mandolin involves a lot of cash & you need to 'get it right' first time if you can.
One important thing - the Northfield mandolins come in for a lot of high praise on here,especially the new 'Artist' models - don't rule out trying one of those. Several top players use them - look for a few YouTube clips of Adam Steffey playing one (several)
Ivan;)

jfrebel
Feb-06-2016, 5:43am
I'm getting it from the mandolin store. they have a 48 hour return policy and I've done business with them before. they're great. if I get it here and sounds no better to me than my km-150, I can send it back.

based on what I'm reading here, and what they told me, I think I'm going to love it. the one thing about my km-150 I don't like is it is pretty weak on the G string. I tried a km-1050 once from them and sent it back because other than being a bit brighter, it really didn't sound any better than my km-150 did and the bass wasn't much better either.

based on what they told me and what I'm reading here, I expect the gibson will be better with the bass. and I already know I'll like the tone. because to me that hollow dark woody gibson tone is what made me love the mandolin. Bill Monroe played a gibson too. what mandolin has the best gibson tone? I'm guessing a gibson. LOL

if the broad consensus here had been "I honestly can't tell the difference between a gibson F5G and a kentucky km-1050, its just paying more for the brand" I might have wondered if I should spend all that extra money. but the consensus seems to be that it has deeper and stronger bass and more woody tone, which is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

John Adrihan
Feb-06-2016, 7:31am
Yep. My KM 675S will hold up volume wise with anything, but the complexity of tone is quite lacking. It was built the first year they moved to China, and they were still working out kinks. Later offers are much better.

I stand by my original statement. I've played a few Gibson A9 and f5g/f5Ls that weren't very good, and I've played some that would keep anyone happy for life. I have some issues with the way Gibson has handled their dealers and warranty issues over the years, admitting that the folk instrument division is better than the company as a whole (thanks's, Joe, Dave, etc, for just handling things when you needed to, I have no personal experience with these issues). I think, in general, current Gibsons are over priced compared to what private builders and importers like Northfield are putting out. The MM series may be an exception. Loars are obviously insanely priced, but I've been fortunate to play 2, and one was worth it, and I very much understand and appreciate the history. The other one was very good, a Virzi model, and was no where close to the Red Diamond and Giacomel I've played, but I have no objection to the price because of the history.

I totally appreciate Gibson's history, and have no objection to those who think that only a Gibson will do. I'm just not solidly in that camp. Historically, Kentucky and Gibson are no where close to the same plane, but some of Kentucky's better offerings equal or exceed some of Gibson's "dawgs," which they'd never admit were dogs...FWIW, which I realize isn't much...

This is interesting because I feel that Northfields are way over priced based on what Saga/Kentucky puts out.

CES
Feb-06-2016, 10:18am
John, I don't disagree with your statement in theory, especially their latest offerings...and, while I'm not a "Gibson guy," it does impress me that they have such a loyal following in spite of all of their corporate practices and what sometimes comes across as an arrogant lack of respect for those actually playing their instruments, especially with all of the other options out there. Testament to the quality they've (mostly) put out over the years.

All that said, I'd love to have an early 20s F4 someday when funds and time allow a trip back to Nashville (after my last trip to Gruhn's and Carter Vintage I'm firmly in the play before I buy camp).

To the OP, hope you enjoy your new mando! I can't imagine it won't be a different animal from your 150. TMS are good people and they know their stuff. If I ever violate my above stated policy, I'd have full confidence in their ability and willingness to send me the best they had of what I was looking for...

jasona
Feb-06-2016, 10:26am
I'm getting it from the mandolin store. they have a 48 hour return policy and I've done business with them before. they're great. if I get it here and sounds no better to me than my km-150, I can send it back.

based on what I'm reading here, and what they told me, I think I'm going to love it. the one thing about my km-150 I don't like is it is pretty weak on the G string. I tried a km-1050 once from them and sent it back because other than being a bit brighter, it really didn't sound any better than my km-150 did and the bass wasn't much better either.

based on what they told me and what I'm reading here, I expect the gibson will be better with the bass. and I already know I'll like the tone. because to me that hollow dark woody gibson tone is what made me love the mandolin. Bill Monroe played a gibson too. what mandolin has the best gibson tone? I'm guessing a gibson. LOL

if the broad consensus here had been "I honestly can't tell the difference between a gibson F5G and a kentucky km-1050, its just paying more for the brand" I might have wondered if I should spend all that extra money. but the consensus seems to be that it has deeper and stronger bass and more woody tone, which is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Before you spend a few thousand dollars, my 150 really improved, especially the G string, by replacing the stock bridge with a Cumberland Acoustics bridge. Also the Kentucky really loved heavy strings--the Bill Monroes were by go to on that instrument.

But if you have the cash, it will be a good instrument and unquestioned step up in quality from what you have.

pops1
Feb-06-2016, 10:35am
I just sent back a used mandolin I purchased, it was from a small builder, very light very nice sound, but the neck was too deep for me, compared to my mandolin, and it was not comfortable to play. Tried to like if for hours, but only made my hands hurt. Just something to think about what Ivan said about feel and play ability. I think any mandolin can be made to play well, but in my case I would have had to reshape the neck, and I thought about it seriously, but decided to find something else that would have the neck I want.

JeffD
Feb-06-2016, 11:03am
Even having a very Gibsonney Gibson, I can hardly claim that only a Gibson will do. There are Gibsons, and there are many brands that shoot for the iconic Gibson creamy deep tone I love, and more than a few that actually get it, and some that even maybe outdo Gibson. More Gibson than Gibson, as Philip K. Dick might say.

But that sound is not the only mandolin sound one might want. I have more than a one instrument that I prize, where the sound is distinctly not Gibson. So like if the Gibson sound is a warm cup of coffee with half and half, my Lyon and Healy model A might be a strong cup of tea with nothing added. Still a hot beverage with caffeine, still good in ceramic mug, but nobody would put them in the same category.

That is part of the fun of this whole enterprise, exploring different tones, different sounds, and when and where and for what is each sound the best fit.

CES
Feb-06-2016, 12:32pm
Even having a very Gibsonney Gibson, I can hardly claim that only a Gibson will do. There are Gibsons, and there are many brands that shoot for the iconic Gibson creamy deep tone I love, and more than a few that actually get it, and some that even maybe outdo Gibson. More Gibson than Gibson, as Philip K. Dick might say.

But that sound is not the only mandolin sound one might want. I have more than a one instrument that I prize, where the sound is distinctly not Gibson. So like if the Gibson sound is a warm cup of coffee with half and half, my Lyon and Healy model A might be a strong cup of tea with nothing added. Still a hot beverage with caffeine, still good in ceramic mug, but nobody would put them in the same category.

That is part of the fun of this whole enterprise, exploring different tones, different sounds, and when and where and for what is each sound the best fit.

I agree with you totally. I love my SA, National RM1, Flatiron pancake, Mandobird, and Eastman 315, all for different reasons, and I play them all reasonably regularly. But, I know a lot of players, esp hard core grasses, who have only 1 or 2. Their D28 or D18 and their Gibson F5 are really all they need or want. I just like having the options.

If I were the OP, I'd definitely keep the 150 to use as a travel mando/beater...

Stephen Perry
Feb-06-2016, 2:01pm
To put noise into the equation, Gibsons probably come from the same line. Kentucky is a brand, not a manufacturer, for the most part. My recollection is that the 900, 1000, 1500 come from a specialty shop, I recall that perhaps Scott Zimmerman helped set that up. The others come from other production lines. Thus a general "Kentucky" statement likely mixes a variety of manufacturers into one bowl.

Another key element is setup. To tell details, one really needs to have the same make bridge, the same general kind and approach to setup.

Then there's the player. For distinguishing differences, one would need the opinion of a number of players capable of using the instruments to their capacity.

Then there's the listeners.

So I don't see this as a this one or that one question.

Keep in mind that numerous unsuspecting amateur and advanced players have been handed real Stradivari instruments and rejected them in favor of less spirited mounts. To some extent, one may need to be the person who can really play a top end whatever before one can evaluate a whatever. A nicely circular system that provides even more noise.

The KM1000 type instruments seem rather nice to me, and I have had a number of recognized players at place like IBMA comment very favorably on them. On the other hand, none popped out cash and took one away.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-06-2016, 4:28pm
This is interesting because I feel that Northfields are way over priced based on what Saga/Kentucky puts out.

I think Kentuckys are a great value, so in that regard I'd agree with you. However, I don't think there is any comparison between Kentucky and Northfield.

While 'sound' or 'tone' may be be subjective, the small-shop build quality, fit/finish, selection of wood and overall attention to detail of the Northfield product is far superior to Kentucky.

I say that as I proud owner of three Kentucky mandolins (150, 850, 1500), and a Northfield MM F5. I love them all for their individual qualities, but they (Kentucky and Northfield) are not in the same league.

JeffD
Feb-06-2016, 4:51pm
But, I know a lot of players, esp hard core grasses, who have only 1 or 2. Their D28 or D18 and their Gibson F5 are really all they need or want. I just like having the options. ...

Yea, there are folks who exclusively play one genre in one setting and know what they want and that's it. The criteria then is very specific. It makes it easier to make a hierarchy list of mandolins as to how they meet the specific criteria.

I enjoy the mandolin more than any particular music on the mandolin, so the criteria is not as specific and narrow. It makes "better" and "worse" much harder to assign.

Especially to a newbie. A person new to the mandolin but already focused exclusively on bluegrass - well that's easy, which of the arch top f hole style trying-to-sound-like Bill Monroe's Gibson F5 would be the best within the budget. But a newbie that is just into mandolin, and wants to try some bluegrass, some rock, some classical, some blues, some singer songwriter, some folk, some traditional... well now "best" is much harder to figure out. So many affordable options. Before you decide if you want a high end or more economical F5, you need to decide if you maybe a flat top or a bowlback, or a resonator, or an arch top with oval holes, an electric hollow body, or who knows...

f5loar
Feb-06-2016, 10:54pm
I've got a few of all of them, even the KM5000. I will say the higher end KY models are indeed great pro mandolins. The Gibsons however are better pro models. No need to talk about tone, volume, etc. as each mandolin has it's own uniqueness. Like in cars, a Toyota XXX will get you where you need to go, but a Cadillac XXX will make you feel better once you get there.

lflngpicker
Feb-07-2016, 5:00pm
Withdrawn -- thought better of contributing

9lbShellhamer
Feb-07-2016, 6:18pm
I've owned several Kentucky's, most notably a KM950 that I played daily for 2 years, and a KM160 that was my first Mandolin.

My 160 actually sounded more Gibson-esque than my 950, although the 950 was a nicer mandolin with a more balanced tone, finer finish, etc, etc etc, the 950 played a million times better and resonated better up the fretboard.

That being said, the 950 was a great first "nice mandolin" but compared to the new stuff Gibson is putting out...wow, just no comparison. I played a brand new F9 recently that blew away mandolins as much as $10k. Gibson is ON POINT lately, making GREAT stuff, and little compares.

I sold my KM950, because I much preferred the tone of a Northfield Mandolin...just my preference. That being said, the Kentucky KM950 I had from TMS was the BEST PLAYING mandolin I've ever owned. I loved the set up, just not the pingy metallic highs.

I'm very happy now with my Collings and I'm SHOCKED that between that and the Northfield I'm temporarily cured of MAS. I'm also shocked to say I'm even playing the Northfield more than my beloved Collings lately. I test out a lot of mandos and some just stand out even compared to other models of the same name/ maker, etc.

jfrebel
Feb-13-2016, 6:54am
I have the gibson f5g in my possession. for the benefit of others I'll now add my own experience.

it's slightly louder than the km-150 and has a smoother richer tone. the kentucky is a tad more buzzy and metallic not bad but just noticeable when comparing them together. think maybe a coke vs a diet coke. the G string where it really shines.

I'm happy with my gibson and I'm keeping it. I feel like bill monroe. LOL (I wish) but the funny thing is the kentucky still holds its own.

Seriously if you are looking for a cheap mandolin give serious consideration to the kentucky km-150. I most certainly plan to keep mine as a beater. not to mention rhonda vincent has signed it. for its price, the tone is insane. to my ears the km-150 even sounds better than the km-1050 I tried which had a brighter thinner tone to my ear, and a weber gallatin which sounded muted to my ears like it was stuffed with socks.

but if you want better and to feel like bill monroe then you can't go wrong with gibson. its got volume and that smooth woody tone.

So that's my take, your mileage may vary.

Franc Homier Lieu
Feb-13-2016, 7:31am
I have the gibson f5g in my possession. for the benefit of others I'll now add my own experience.
it's slightly louder than the km-150 and has a smoother richer tone. the kentucky is a tad more buzzy and metallic not bad but just noticeable when comparing them together. think maybe a coke vs a diet coke. the G string where it really shines.

I expect we will see this testimonial quoted on the Gibson website! Could even be turned into a catchy slogan for a print ad.

"Gibson mandolins: slightly louder and a little less buzzy than mandolins that cost 10X less." ;)

jfrebel
Feb-13-2016, 8:04am
LOL I'd bet my take would sooner make it on sagas testimony page if they have one.

its a testament to the times we live in where decent sounding mandolins can be had without going into debt.

but for me at least I do like the gibson more. I think the higher you go the more you get diminishing returns. I don't think the gibson is 10X better than the kentucky, even if it's 10X more expensive. it is better though, at least to me. others may differ.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-13-2016, 8:57am
I have the gibson f5g in my possession....it's slightly louder than the km-150 and has a smoother richer tone.

I'm happy with my gibson and I'm keeping it. but the funny thing is the kentucky still holds its own.

Hi jfrebel, (I took the liberty of trimming down your post a bit to emphasize the main points.)

I think that some of us who read your post might be thinking "duh!" I mean who wouldn't expect a Gibson F5 G NOT to be the clear winner in this comparison? Although the final result may not be Earth-shaking news, your opinion that the Kentucky KM-150 "still holds its own" is worth noting.

I'm fortunate (unhinged) enough to have a nice Japanese-built KM 1500, a KM-850 (of the same era), a Weber Fern, an Englemann-topped Northfield F5 MM, a Duff F5 and an old Gibson 'A' model. My KM-150 has become my 'travel' mandolin. I don't play it as much as the others now, but every time I pull it out of the case, I'm amazed at what a great little mandolin it is!

almeriastrings
Feb-13-2016, 10:25am
I don't think the gibson is 10X better than the kentucky, even if it's 10X more expensive. it is better though, at least to me. others may differ.

Probably not too many....

Yes, the KM-150's are a good sounding, basic mandolin. They don't sound like a multi-thousand $ Gibson, though, they are not built like one, and they don't feel quite like one either, even if set up well.... but... if you are looking for a 'solid' good quality low cost instrument, they are really hard to beat.

Emmett Marshall
Feb-14-2016, 3:37am
I love them both, but I sold my Kentucky KM1500 and kept my Gibson. I had another Gibson that didn't sound as good as my Kentucky, and I had a Kentucky that didn't sound as good as this Gibson. Is all this helping? Oh, here's a video clip of my online buddy, Aaron, (great guy btw) currently gigging his butt off in Moscow with the KM1500 I sold to him some months back. I had a lot of work done on that Kentucky, nearly doubling my original purchase price, and Aaron practically stole it for what I sold it to him for. I think he should send me a nice present from Moscow!

Aaron Jammin' on my old KM1500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5HjqCcVsSs

I also had a Kentucky KM-675 that, I think, sounds better than a Gibson Fern that I had during the same time frame. Like somebody kinda said above, each instrument has it's own flavor - even among the same make and models, but in general, there are Cadillacs, Chevys, and AMC Gremlins no matter who makes them. Whenever possible, try before ya buy - or get a sound clip, or pray!

John Soper
Feb-14-2016, 8:54am
Best $60 I ever spent in a pawn shop was on a used Japanese made Kentucky KM 150, initiating >25 years of MAS...

jfrebel
Feb-14-2016, 9:12am
just now I held each mandolin near my face and then went "aaaaaaaaah!"

LOL

the gibson started ringing and vibrating from my voice. the kentucky was dead.

I also notice as I play the gibson more its already improving in tone. there's no question to me that it's better at this point.

the kentucky though is still a good mandolin. if anybody on a budget ask me which one to get the kentucky km-150 is going to be my enthusiastic suggestion. but if they want to drop some serious change and get a killer bluegrass mandolin, I'm going to tell them, they can't go wrong with gibson.

it still mystifies me. on paper there's not much difference. all solid wood, hand carved, stika top, etc. only difference is one is made by chinese luthiers and the other american ones. there's clearly alot more to it but not on the spec sheet. I don't see much listed in the difference such as maybe the kentucky using cheap new timbre and gibsons use rare 200 year old stika or some such. who knows. anybody with info feel free to enlighten me. what do companies like gibson do that makes their mandolins better?

Franc Homier Lieu
Feb-14-2016, 9:20am
only difference is one is made by chinese luthiers and the other american ones.

I don't think KM-150s are made by luthiers any more than iPhones are made by electronics engineers.

slk
Feb-14-2016, 9:50am
In that video I had a very difficult time looking at the mandolin. My eyes were on the prettier fixture up on stage. I forgive her for not having an instrument in her hands.

lflngpicker
Feb-14-2016, 4:53pm
I love them both, but I sold my Kentucky KM1500 and kept my Gibson. I had another Gibson that didn't sound as good as my Kentucky, and I had a Kentucky that didn't sound as good as this Gibson. Is all this helping? Oh, here's a video clip of my online buddy, Aaron, (great guy btw) currently gigging his butt off in Moscow with the KM1500 I sold to him some months back. I had a lot of work done on that Kentucky, nearly doubling my original purchase price, and Aaron practically stole it for what I sold it to him for. I think he should send me a nice present from Moscow!

Aaron Jammin' on my old KM1500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5HjqCcVsSs

I also had a Kentucky KM-675 that, I think, sounds better than a Gibson Fern that I had during the same time frame. Like somebody kinda said above, each instrument has it's own flavor - even among the same make and models, but in general, there are Cadillacs, Chevys, and AMC Gremlins no matter who makes them. Whenever possible, try before ya buy - or get a sound clip, or pray!

Checks out with my experience with the F-9 and my recently purchased KM805. I love the action, the nut width, the radiused board, the tone, the volume, the block inlays, headstock, flowerpot, etc. (did I mention the $700 preowned price tag?), all giving my Kentucky the edge. The Gibson was awesome and I wish I could own both. Would never say that Gibson's aren't the best great USA made mandolins that are within the reach of regular folks like myself, but the Kentucky can be incredible. I loved the story of the KM675-- checks out here, as I said. This video is very entertaining! Great job.
I dare ya to blow this up three X's -- I'm warning you-- she's almost as pretty as she sounds...

Charles E.
Feb-14-2016, 5:31pm
jfrebel, I don't think anyone has said "congratulations on your new mandolin!" Play it in good health and enjoy the ride.

Bill Kammerzell
Feb-14-2016, 6:03pm
This is directed at those of you with experience playing gibsons particularly the newer models signed by dave harvey such as the f9 and f5g, as well as playing kentucky mandolins such as the km-150, km-950, km-1050 etc. (the newer models)

how do they compare? volume? low notes, on the G string, high notes, mid range, sustain, tonal qualities, (brighter, deeper,woody, bell like etc)

did you have a preference? as in if you had to choose one, which would it be and why? did you like both but for different reasons? maybe you liked one for bright happy music and other for sad dark music?

I don't have the option to go and try a bunch of kentucky and gibson mandolins to see for myself so I figured I'd get input those of you who have had that opportunity.

let me end by saying that I know this is subjective and there is no "right answer" folks will differ, some may prefer kentucky models, others gibson, others may like both or neither, and all of that is that's okay, I'm just hoping to get an idea from reading posts from those who have played them. all viewpoints welcome.

Thanks!

Never had the experience of playing a Gibson mandolin but I did just recently pay about $365.00 tax included for a Kentucky KM 700, I found in a pawn shop. HSC included too. Plus the pickup works. It is banged up, no doubt. Serial number tells me it was made in March of 2008. Tell you what, it is a player. I like it more than the Eastman MD 515 I have. I'm real impressed with it. Had some nasty chips and gouges. on the top, near the F hole, nearest the scroll and I did what I could to keep the gouges from turning into cracks. Put my modest woodworking skills to use and it didn't turn out badly at all. Love the way it plays though. Great balance between the bass and treble strings and it really barks.

lflngpicker
Feb-14-2016, 6:23pm
willkamm, Good to hear of your experience with the KM700. The pictures show a good looking instrument, to be sure! I have read that these are among the best Kentucky F5's and it sure does seem to be well crafted. I am glad to hear that it sounds so balanced and satisfies your expectations of a mandolin to add to your stable. Keep playing and enjoy that Kentucky!

Bill Kammerzell
Feb-14-2016, 6:48pm
willkamm, Good to hear of your experience with the KM700. The pictures show a good looking instrument, to be sure! I have read that these are among the best Kentucky F5's and it sure does seem to be well crafted. I am glad to hear that it sounds so balanced and satisfies your expectations of a mandolin to add to your stable. Keep playing and enjoy that Kentucky!

Gracias Vato! This makes 5 in the fleet, however I decided to sell both the Ibanez and Alvarez for some extra cash and maybe buy a small amp seeing the Kentucky has the electric feature. Had a hell of a jam with a buddy of mine yesterday, him on an acoustic electric Alvarez Yairi Guitar and me on the Kentucky, both plugged into a Fender amp. We wailed on some Dead tunes, some Clarence White stuff, Dicky Betts, just had a heck of a time.
It really is a nice instrument. What a find too. Crusing the pawn dealers on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Bill Kammerzell
Feb-14-2016, 6:50pm

Forgot to mention. She's missing the tailpiece cover. Got one coming from Stewart Macdonald.

lflngpicker
Feb-14-2016, 6:50pm
willkamm,That does sound like a great time! Nothing like getting in that zone where you are both feeling the groove and can sense the chord changes and harmonies within the structure of the song. Enjoy!

fernmando
Feb-15-2016, 2:56pm
I own, and play a 2010 Kentucky KM900. My two previous mandolins were a 2000 Gibson F5 Fern, and an '09 Varnished Fern. I don't miss either, and I like my KM900 better. Granted, part of it is utility. My KM900 is a mini-Gilchrist in terms of that loggy Mike Compton sound that I like. All that said, the BEST Gibsons are what everyone is trying to capture, and my KM900 won't stand up to the best F5s. It will, however, stand up to all but the creme de la creme.

Roscoe Morgan

www.roscoemorgan.com