PDA

View Full Version : What Mandolin Should I buy ?

RIDGERUNNER
Feb-04-2016, 8:37pm
Wanting your opinion ! Looking to spend between $600.00 - $1000.00 for a used
F style. Thanks ahead of time for you help

MikeEdgerton
Feb-04-2016, 8:40pm
I'd be checking out the New Eastman's at the Mandolin Store (https://themandolinstore.com/product-category/inventory/f-style-mandolins/). This way you get one that is setup.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-04-2016, 8:45pm
Here's (http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/94279#94279) a used Eastman in the Classifieds.

colorado_al
Feb-05-2016, 1:49am
This looks like a score:
Eastman MD515CS for $700 on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Eastman-Mandolin-F-Style-MD515-CS-Solid-Spruce-Top-Gloss-finish-/391372265164

itstooloudMike
Feb-05-2016, 9:28am
For right at $1K, you can find a used Weber, Flatiron, or Gibson A-style mandolin. Any of these will sound and play better than most of the F-styles you can buy for less than $1K. You get more mandolin for your money if you choose an A-style rather than an F-style. I went through this. I had a nice Eastman 815, but it just wasn't the sound I was looking for. Sold it and bought a great used Weber Bitteroot-A. The Weber is a significantly better instrument, and I am highly satisfied. Scroll envy is over-rated.

allenhopkins
Feb-05-2016, 11:44am
"Ham sandwich," guys. OP says he wants a "used F-style" for $600--1K. Let's start there.

There are at least a half-dozen mandolins in the current classifieds that would meet those criteria: lots of Eastman MD-515's, and several Kentuckys in the KM-885/KM-1000B range. These all are solid woods, hand-carved, good quality instruments.

In the price range suggested, for an F-model, pretty much limited to Asian-made instruments; the days of finding a US-made F-model for less than four figures are behind us, I guess.

Were I spending that kind of money, I'd want to play the instrument first, but I don't know if OP can get to a decently-stocked dealer who has a range of used mandolins. I'd start in the classifieds, and work from there.

Northwest Steve
Feb-05-2016, 11:54am
Agree that you are most likely looking at Eastman, you should be able to get a 615 and possibly an 815 for $1000. Kentucky 1000 you see once in a while at the top of your budget or Loar 600/700. Once in a while a Howard "Sonny" Morris f5 style will show up close to $1000. Hand made in Oregon and well thought of, do a search as there is lots of information.

Where are you located? Are there any stores that carry mandolin in your area to try? If not or also I would look for bluegrass or old time jams in the area. You could go listen and ask some questions.

colorado_al
Feb-05-2016, 11:59am
I'd take a chance on that $700 Eastman MD515CS on ebay. Sold by an Eastman dealer. I'd contact them to make sure setup is done. Not sure if it will come with a warranty. A few cosmetic blems, but a great deal on that mando. If OP doesn't like it, chances are they could sell it for what they have into it.
So pick it up for $700, and put the remaining $300 into your "next mandolin fund". Aim to spend double on the next one in a year or so and buy into a nice US made A style to go with the chinese F.

Loubrava
Feb-05-2016, 11:08pm
Here we go again... I just saw a Loar 600 in the classifieds for about $600 worth every penny and IMO sound better than the Eastmans and I played several Eastmans. The bottom line is if you can't play and compare you will never know the difference so don't worry too much about it get an Eastman or a Loar play the crap out of it and it will make you happy;

Isaac Revard
Feb-05-2016, 11:41pm
I'd take a chance on that $700 Eastman MD515CS on ebay. Sold by an Eastman dealer. I'd contact them to make sure setup is done. Not sure if it will come with a warranty. A few cosmetic blems, but a great deal on that mando. If OP doesn't like it, chances are they could sell it for what they have into it.
So pick it up for $700, and put the remaining $300 into your "next mandolin fund". Aim to spend double on the next one in a year or so and buy into a nice US made A style to go with the chinese F.

I gotta second this. That's a nice looking eastman.