PDA

View Full Version : Gotoh replacement tuner button for A style

texaspaul
Feb-03-2016, 8:06pm
I have a Pava Pro that has pearloid tuner buttons. I would like to replace them with ivoroid. How difficult is it after removing the retainer screw on end of the shaft? Who supplies them?

UsuallyPickin
Feb-05-2016, 8:59am
I can't say about Gotoh . Might want to call Stewart Macdonald or send them an email. They supply Gotoh tuners and have buttons for Waverly and Schaller tuners listed in their online catalogue which may or may not fit. Dan Erlwine is the Tech guru for StewMac and have many how to videos on YouTube. He is the guy that would probably know..... Luck.. R/

MikeEdgerton
Feb-05-2016, 9:32am
The Mandolin Store sells an ivoroid set that fits. I just put them on a set of Gotoh's. Your Gotoh's should have two flats as opposed to a square at the end of the button shaft. These will fit, the Stewmac buttons are made for square shafts.

https://themandolinstore.com/product/tuner-buttons/

Siminoff also sells Gotoh buttons but I can't find a link right now to the regular ivoroid. You'd have to call. Those would probably be genuine Gotoh buttons.

http://parts.siminoff.net/machines.aspx

MikeEdgerton
Feb-05-2016, 9:44am
As to how difficult it is, you need to pull firmly to get them off. They will come off but they might take some effort.

texaspaul
Feb-05-2016, 9:52am
Thanks, I will order from TMS. I did pull one button and they are as you describe.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-05-2016, 10:29am
Cool. Just one other thing. Try removing every screw from every button (one at a time). I had a set of tuners last week where one screw had been cross threaded onto the tuners. It was really tough getting that one button out to make the change and the screws aren't easy to come by.

texaspaul
Feb-05-2016, 4:25pm
I lost one several years ago from the tuner on a Bulldog F5 #10 finally found one to replace the lost one. I usually use a large box, guitar shipping box to do that sort of thing, because no matter how careful I am ----- it happens.