PDA

View Full Version : My New Tolley

jdmeyers77
Feb-02-2016, 8:04am
I first contacted the gifted luthier Matthew Tolley a year ago to discuss him building me an "end of the line" instrument. A very soft-spoken and modest gentleman. I placed a small deposit and he put me in the cue for a summer start date.

Took proud ownership last week. Semi-gloss varnish finish, Engelmann soundboard, one-piece big leaf maple back, neck shaped to standard Collings dimensions per my request, satin gold hardware throughout, no headstock or tailpiece logos for an understated feel, Waverley tuning machines, James tailpiece, Cumberland Acoustic bridge, etc. Fit and finish that exceeds even the MT2s that I have enjoyed in the past -- and that's saying something!

If you go to the link below, in the Instrument Gallery there are plenty more photos right at the top. I don't post sound clips, sorry. That said, the sound is, well, truly worthy of the instrument's beauty. Not the loudest, but the sweetest (per my request).

During the entire build, Matthew would send bi-weekly photos that allowed me to enjoy seeing the mando emerge from the raw materials. If one could have a better experience working with a luthier on a custom mandolin, I'd be surprised. This mando reflects my aesthetic tastes right down to the satin gold thumbwheel screws on the bridge!

Anyway, thought that I'd share. Cheers!

www.tolleyguitars.com

billhay4
Feb-02-2016, 12:07pm
Beautiful instrument. Let's hear it!
Bill

Northwest Steve
Feb-02-2016, 1:38pm
Very nice.....I have looked at the ones that have passed through Grey Boyd's. They sound very nice. I would like to play one some time. the two point oval holes are great looking as well.