PDA

View Full Version : Audio Technica Pro 35 clip on--need phantom power source?

plawren53202
Feb-01-2016, 12:31pm
Sorry for what is probably for many of you a very dumb dumb question--despite playing in bands for many years, my knowledge of mic and sound board issues is still basically zero...

I just ordered an Audio Technica Pro 35 clip on condenser mic for my mandolin. (Had been using/wrestling with a K&K external twin, but new band situation has much quieter stage volume than last band, allowing for micing my mandolin). I see in the product specs that it needs a phantom power source if the sound board does not have phantom power.

I will be playing at a church with a fairly sophisticated sound system--large sound board; they typically have a full rock band-type band with in ear monitors, etc. I would think that a board like this will have phantom power and I don't need a separate power source? But I could be totally wrong too.

Unfortunately I need to know quickly...first practice is on Wednesday night so if I need to order one from Amazon, with 2 day shipping, I need to order today, soon!

Thanks!

pops1
Feb-01-2016, 1:12pm
If the board is at all newer then it should have phantom power. One thing to remember if your sound man doesn't know it, the phantom should be turned off to plug or unplug and xlr or it could blow the phantom. I have had it happen a couple of times. Some boards may be more prone to it than others, but I don't take a chance anymore.

mandotim1955
Feb-01-2016, 1:17pm
The Pro35 comes with an adapter to take a standard XLR cable. The board in the church is pretty much certain to have a phantom power supply. One solution that has more than one use is to get a wireless setup compatible with the mic (the Audio Technical System 10 digital system is very good). These supply phantom power from the belt pack, and free you from having cables round your feet.

almeriastrings
Feb-01-2016, 3:24pm
You should be fine with that board. It is almost certain to have +48v.

You can always get a simple, compact, standalone phantom PSU, however, just in case you need to play somewhere where the system lacks it, or it is faulty. Lots to choose from.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c959--Phantom_Power

mandroid
Feb-01-2016, 11:46pm
the adapter steps down/regulates the voltage.. full 48v would toast the cap.