PDA

View Full Version : JV "Ole Man" Johnston Mandolins

Ranger Bob
Jan-28-2016, 11:44pm
Anyone know anything about JV "Ole Man" Johnston mandolins. He was supposed to have done some pretty good work in Texas in the 70's & 80's. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

stinkoman20xx
Jun-08-2016, 12:21pm
Anyone know anything about JV "Ole Man" Johnston mandolins. He was supposed to have done some pretty good work in Texas in the 70's & 80's. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Did you ever find any more info on him? this posting is about all i can find.

Tobin
Jun-08-2016, 12:41pm
I've played one, but I don't know anything about the original maker. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with it. The owner considers it a real hoss of a mandolin and is very proud of it, but IMHO it does not rise to the level of modern makers in terms of fit/finish, sound, or overall quality. In the 1970s, though, it was probably considered a really good mandolin. Especially when compared to what Gibson was building at the time (the '70s were not good years for Gibson mandolins). I do think the Johnston mandolins of this era sound better than some of the entry-level stuff today (though the looks were still pretty rough), but it terms of really good small builders, the modern ones have really developed the skill beyond what Mr. Johnston could do.

I don't know anything about the maker, though, other than he was in Mabank, TX. Next time I see the fellow that ones this one, I'll ask him. For all I know, he may have bought it directly from the builder.

stinkoman20xx
Jun-09-2016, 10:41am
Thanks for the reply. There is a decent looking 3 point f style for sale, that has been for a while that I been interested in. The seller won't respond to my emails on reverb.com and that has been another issue. If anybody is the owner or curious this is the one in question. Even makes mentions of mandolin cafe but couldn't find anything. https://reverb.com/item/1128225-j-v-johnston-3-point-f-style-mandolin-1985-cremona-brown-shaded-top

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-15-2016, 9:42pm
Thanks for the reply. There is a decent looking 3 point f style for sale, that has been for a while that I been interested in. The seller won't respond to my emails on reverb.com and that has been another issue. If anybody is the owner or curious this is the one in question. Even makes mentions of mandolin cafe but couldn't find anything. https://reverb.com/item/1128225-j-v-johnston-3-point-f-style-mandolin-1985-cremona-brown-shaded-top

Mandolin is for sale from Village music in Stockton MO. Best bet is to call. Father/Son own the store. Brent is the son and a pretty good guitar player. I had trouble contacting them by email but can always reach them by phone at the store. 417-276-3590. The dad knows a lot about Johnston and has spoken of him to me. Both very nice people to deal with.

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-15-2016, 10:40pm

Saw a post here once before where Johnston did some work on a mandolin belonging to Tut Taylor as I recall.

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-15-2016, 10:42pm
I've played one, but I don't know anything about the original maker. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with it. The owner considers it a real hoss of a mandolin and is very proud of it, but IMHO it does not rise to the level of modern makers in terms of fit/finish, sound, or overall quality. In the 1970s, though, it was probably considered a really good mandolin. Especially when compared to what Gibson was building at the time (the '70s were not good years for Gibson mandolins). I do think the Johnston mandolins of this era sound better than some of the entry-level stuff today (though the looks were still pretty rough), but it terms of really good small builders, the modern ones have really developed the skill beyond what Mr. Johnston could do.

I don't know anything about the maker, though, other than he was in Mabank, TX. Next time I see the fellow that ones this one, I'll ask him. For all I know, he may have bought it directly from the builder.

The Johnston at Reverb he is looking at appears to be built in 1985.

Bill Snyder
Jun-16-2016, 9:30am
Why would Tut Taylor have someone else work on his mandolin?

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-16-2016, 10:48am
why would tut taylor have someone else work on his mandolin?

idk?

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-16-2016, 10:58am
Why would Tut Taylor have someone else work on his mandolin?

Here it is. From "Limerock" on May 23, 2014. Looks like the mandolin was built by Tut.

"Tut Taylor mandolin info"

"I just picked up an A model mandolin from a guy in Nashville who is the son of the original owner. He said the mandolin was built for his father by Tut in the mid 70's. His father and Tut were supposedly friends. There are no markings inside. There is nothing in the peghead the kicker for me is that this is a quality instrument there is a repair sticker inside the mandolin where J.V. (Oldman) Johnston in Texas "voiced" the tone chamber in 1982. Is there a go to person knowledgable of Tuts work that can help me verify this thing?"

I know I had seen it. If you put JV Johnston in a Forum Search, it is about a dozen posts down.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-16-2016, 11:07am
Why would Tut Taylor have someone else work o
n his mandolin?

This statement:

There is nothing in the peghead the kicker for me is that this is a quality instrument there is a repair sticker inside the mandolin where J.V. (Oldman) Johnston in Texas "voiced" the tone chamber in 1982.
Sounds more to me like somebody bought a Tut Taylor mandolin and had it revoiced. I seriously doubt Tut would have had one of his own mandolins worked on by someone else and let them add a repair label.

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-16-2016, 11:51am
This statement:

Sounds more to me like somebody bought a Tut Taylor mandolin and had it revoiced. I seriously doubt Tut would have had one of his own mandolins worked on by someone else and let them add a repair label.

Yes exactly. Which is why at 11:58 I posted. "Looks like the mandolin was built by Tut." My error. It was a post I read a short time ago. I was mostly trying to direct stinkomann20xx to a post with Johnston's name in it.

Bill Snyder
Jun-16-2016, 11:51am
This statement:

My thinking as well

The Og
Jan-20-2024, 8:41pm
I’ve had one since the late 1980’s …got it from the brother of a deceased friend who bought it new and played in our early 80s “band.” Not esthetically “pretty” but unbelievable volume and a chop that would cut through anything. Now that I’m back on guitar I haven’t played it for a few years.