PDA

View Full Version : Looking for one of the older mahogany back Webers F body styles

darylcrisp
Jan-28-2016, 10:22pm
prefer one with the A style headstock-although a scroll headstock is fine as well.

i think they may have been built with 1 1/8" and 1 3/32" nut widths-only interested in the 1 1/8".

i put a wanted listing in our classifieds, but thought someone out there might know where one is in a shop somewhere.
not interested in the maple back versions, only mahogany.

only ones i've seen were usually Gallatin models, although any model is fine as long as it has the F style body(points!).

thank you
d

nickster60
Jan-28-2016, 11:38pm
They popup from time to time.

nickster60
Jan-28-2016, 11:48pm
There is one one on ebay but the price optimistic.

darylcrisp
Jan-29-2016, 4:41am
There is one one on ebay but the price optimistic.

thanks N
yes, all the used ones on the bay are way overpriced imo.

d

A 4
Jan-29-2016, 8:53am
That one one Ebay must be this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141631321026
Looks like maybe a cedar top, too.

Can you tell us why the mahogany back is important to you? That one is asking $2750 - what do you think is fair price, and have you made an offer? This is all just my own curiousity, but as a Weber owner, it's nice to know what prices are reasonable. Sorry, but mine is maple-backed.

spufman
Jan-29-2016, 9:33am
I would expect an older mahogany Gallatin F to be somewhere in the $1200-1600 range. Most people want maple, which is I guess why Weber changed the standard.

JEStanek
Jan-29-2016, 10:01am
You could post a wanted ad as well....

Jamie

Bill Snyder
Jan-29-2016, 11:18am
Jamie, in the opening post he said he had already posted a wanted ad in the classifieds.

darylcrisp
Jan-29-2016, 1:15pm
That one one Ebay must be this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141631321026
Looks like maybe a cedar top, too.

Can you tell us why the mahogany back is important to you? That one is asking $2750 - what do you think is fair price, and have you made an offer? This is all just my own curiousity, but as a Weber owner, it's nice to know what prices are reasonable. Sorry, but mine is maple-backed.

Hi A4

First reason is I want one of the mahogany back F body styles due to the tone they produce. My daughter has one(scroll headstock with tortoise binding-it was something of a "custom" Gallatin) we picked up in 2009 when she wanted to learn mandolin(8 yrs old). Its a really sweet sounding instrument.

Based on my experience with hers only, its middle level in terms of projection/loud-which is not important to me. It probably would not be a Bluegrassers 1st or 2nd choice. I think for a solo player who is looking for a sweet sound it is perfect. I like the bottom points for balance and position, I like the A style headstock(although some have scroll like my daughters). The body scroll is not a more heavy worked design, but just a smooth curl-the whole instrument kinda looks like a poor mans Monteleone. They have a bland appearance typically with no binding-a very simple, base model instrument. In playing my daughters lately, I've come to like the 1 1/8" nut width and the Weber neck profile has always been perfect for me. So the second reason for purchase is to work with the less wide nut width and see where that goes. I like satin finishes so that's a third reason.

There was one in our classifieds, single owner, only driven to church, er, played once a week or so, a month or more back-I had inquired, price was steep at $1800, I was busy with too many other life things and looking this week I don't see it any longer advertised.

I've looked at these for a while now off and on, too busy with my other mando endeavors, but now I'm in mode to get one. The price point I've saw them sell at are around $1100-1500. That's about right for my wallet at the moment. There's no way I would pay the asking price for the one on ebay-I may extend an offer to the owner but I don't want to come off in the wrong way when its half of what they want-and that's probably how they would feel. If the asking price is approaching $1800-2000, one can find a nice Yellowstone or Pava and make adaptions for those, even though they have maple and the tone will be different. Some flatwounds can make a sweet sound on maple backs. I know where a killer satin brown Pava sits awaiting ownership, the tone is excellent, I just don't want to drop into $2200 with this venture(plus no bottom points and I would need to reshape the neck profile).

I did post a Wanted Ad in our classifieds, but thought someone might know where one resides in a shop-lonely, without human touch or desire, and might need a good home. And I thought this thread would reach out to forum users who don't venture to the Wanted section(I never have, but plan to look thru it tonight).

So that's it in a nutshell. I can wait, one will show up here in time.

A second option is this in our classifieds right now:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/94724#94724

That's one cool A mando, price is right, getting a video sent today, over the phone the tone was balanced and nice-on the bright side a tad but what I consider traditional(and a set of Flatwounds can do a lot to bring it to a sweet place). No bottom points, but a Tonegard will work for that. I've played a few of Pauls mando's and an A still haunts my memory. Mass Street had this one a while back. We will see.

thanks to all for replies and help in the search
d

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jan-29-2016, 3:13pm
A second option is this in our classifieds right now:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/94724#94724

That's one cool A mando, price is right, getting a video sent today, over the phone the tone was balanced and nice-on the bright side a tad but what I consider traditional(and a set of Flatwounds can do a lot to bring it to a sweet place). No bottom points, but a Tonegard will work for that. I've played a few of Pauls mando's and an A still haunts my memory. Mass Street had this one a while back. We will see.
d

That one caught my eye too Daryl. It seems you and I have very similar taste... :)

darylcrisp
Jan-29-2016, 5:59pm
That one caught my eye too Daryl. It seems you and I have very similar taste... :)

sent you the video by email-its a cool mando

small frets, flat board, got some years on it but still VGC/ cool color imo.

just talked with Mark at the shop and the Summit did sell today-we had talked earlier this morn and i had priority to purchase but was undecided, he had another person interested so i told him to not hold up due to my sitting on the fence rail.
d

Nathan Sanders
Feb-01-2016, 12:44pm
I had a Weber Bitterroot with Mahogany back and sides a few years ago but I traded it to a guy in Rhode Island. I might still have contact info for him. Who knows, maybe he still has it. I think it was a 2000 or 2001 model. Here's a demo video I made of the mandolin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWf-ZTq2rR0

multidon
Feb-19-2016, 1:07pm
Hey Daryl, I'm bumping this up because I saw that Elderly just got one in. It's a 2003 and appears to be what you ar looking for. I think it's priced a bit high but they might negotiate.

darylcrisp
Feb-19-2016, 5:36pm
Hey Daryl, I'm bumping this up because I saw that Elderly just got one in. It's a 2003 and appears to be what you ar looking for. I think it's priced a bit high but they might negotiate.

MrD
thank you very much, i am on it!
d