PDA

View Full Version : Rover rm-75 or Eastman 315?

Nicholas L
Jan-27-2016, 6:33pm
I originally planned on buying a Rover rm-75, but then I realized that for only $300 more I could get an Eastman 315. Which is what I really want. Is it worth saving up to get the Eastman? Thanks!

Charles E.
Jan-27-2016, 6:37pm
By all means get the Eastman. It is a lot of mandolin for the money and waaaay better then the Rover.

lflngpicker
Jan-27-2016, 6:40pm
The Eastman is the better mandolin, from all indications of quality, tone and play-ability. Of course, we would agree that if at all possibly, play both. If you are in the situation I am in, you will have to go with reputation and general knowledge. I agree with Charles. Good call and best of luck.

Northwest Steve
Jan-27-2016, 6:44pm
You might find a nice used Eastman 315 for 500-550 range. they do pop up once in a while. I owned a 305 and have played 315's, nice mandolins for the money. to confuse the topic you could also get a Loar 600 in that price range.

colorado_al
Jan-28-2016, 6:30pm
Save some money and get an Eastman MD305. Or for the same cash as the 315, really step up to the MD-505. I have played many eastman mandolins in my local store. Just about every one that they have put on the wall. Almost every MD-305 sounds better than the MD 315's I have played. MD-505, even more so.

Charles E.
Jan-28-2016, 6:47pm
And then there is this in the classifieds.......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/93985#93985

NFI

colorado_al
Jan-28-2016, 8:19pm
And then there is this in the classifieds.......
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/93985#93985
NFI

I have that same model Kentucky KM-675, and my Eastman MD-505 is a much better instrument. The Kentucky is nice but the Eastman has way better sound, better playability, more evenly weighted, better fit & finish.

The Kentucky is my travel mandolin. It is good enough, but it always puts a smile on my face when I get back and play the Eastman.

theCOOP
Jan-30-2016, 5:45pm
This summer I snatched up a used $50 Rover RM-50B A-style and have been quite pleased with it. There's a lot of good there for the price point new.

I have an Eastman MD315 as well which I love. But if the RM-75 is as much better than the RM-50B as photos and price might indicate...I'd be hard pressed to spend more on the Eastman if they were new, side by side. Who knows, one particular Rover might sound many ti.es better than one particular Eastman, radiused fretboard notwithstanding.

Disclaimer: all of mine were purchased used. I like all of them.

mrmando2015
Feb-03-2016, 10:30am
I have a very nice sounding Rover that was my first mandolin and also an Eastman 315. The River is nice and after some minor work, it plays well and in tune but there's no real comparison to the Eastman. The Eastman plus and sounds much much better. I the action is sweet and responsive and looks fantastic. I can get lost in it for hours. Budget-wise, I have no regrets about the Rover. It was the right price at the right time to get me started and it definitely plays well enough for a learning instrument.

<Removed by Moderator. Please place these in the classifieds> I recently upgraded to a Big Muddy.

Ryan Riordan
May-02-2016, 10:53am
I have a very nice sounding Rover that was my first mandolin and also an Eastman 315. The River is nice and after some minor work, it plays well and in tune but there's no real comparison to the Eastman. The Eastman plus and sounds much much better. I the action is sweet and responsive and looks fantastic. I can get lost in it for hours. Budget-wise, I have no regrets about the Rover. It was the right price at the right time to get me started and it definitely plays well enough for a learning instrument.

I own an RM-75 that was given to me by a good friend and luthier in East Tennessee and to my hand and ear I've yet to find its equal for playability and punch. I've played countless budget options between the Weber and Eastman dealers in Memphis and I'm always disappointed with something. That's not to say that every Rover is going to sound and play great (in fact I think mine is the exception to the rule), but rather that with these factory instruments, you never know what you're going to get. You have to play them and pick the best one for you.

Buy what is best for you, and Happy Picking!

Folkmusician.com
May-02-2016, 11:48am
For many years, the RM-75 had no competition. Of course that just put a big target on its headstock and other makers had it in their sights! Despite there being several options now, the Rover still holds out as a great mandolin for the price point.

BrianWilliam
May-02-2016, 1:25pm
+1 on the Eastman

But, I am partial to "the loar" mandos in that price range.

soliver
May-02-2016, 7:59pm
I just bought an Eastman MD305 and don't believe I could be more pleased. I personally did't care for the 315, but that may be just me.