PDA

View Full Version : My Menagerie

cygnet
Jan-24-2016, 5:33pm
Been doing the new years clean and string and dust and polish on all my instruments. I wanted to take a picture of them for insurance purposes, and to remind myself how many I have. Makes them easier to count when they're all together. Of specific interest to this forum would be the 1928 The Gibson snakehead mandolin, the 1922 mandocello, the sunburst Regal Octophone, the Bohm Waldzither, and maybe the custom doubleneck mandozouki.

F-2 Dave
Jan-24-2016, 6:36pm
Nice. Is that a five string fiddle on the lower left?

cygnet
Jan-24-2016, 6:45pm
Nice. Is that a five string fiddle on the lower left?

Yep. It was converted with a cut down viola fingerboard glued on, so the fingerboard overhangs the neck. It's contoured out at an angle. That and the Fender mando are what I play mostly in bands right now. Both have built in bridge pickups.

Mark Wilson
Jan-24-2016, 6:47pm
Nice collection. Would come in handy on a snow day!!

cygnet
Jan-24-2016, 7:03pm
Nice collection. Would come in handy on a snow day!!

We don't get many of those out here in the Texas hill country. But the I've spent the whole Sunday dusting, polishing, and restringing if necessary, and I won't be done today.

Zach Wilson
Jan-24-2016, 9:42pm
Right on! Nice collection :)

cygnet
Jan-25-2016, 11:54am
I've just started looking around here at the cafe, and noticed several discussions on the Regal Octofone. Mine up there in the picture had the neck pulling up due to putting normal octave mando strings on it. It was repaired by luthier John Allison, who happens to have built the bouzouki next to it in the picture. Now I use a set of strings that is lighter, tuned unison octave mandolin.

spufman
Jan-25-2016, 12:29pm
That's a fantastic photo, awesome job. Nice instrument collection, too! But no bass?

cygnet
Jan-25-2016, 2:04pm
That's a fantastic photo, awesome job. Nice instrument collection, too! But no bass?

Thanks. I had to use a tripod to take it indoors. You know, I had a Rickenbacker bass for a while back in the mid 1970's, and then in the 80's I had a Gibson EB-3, but I must have wanted something else more, so by the time I made one of those overdub albums where I played all the instruments in 1993, I actually had to use the mandocello for bass on a couple songs.

darrylicshon
Jan-25-2016, 2:38pm
Very nice collection, i'm cleaning some of mine and planning on taking a photo also.

Bill McCall
Jan-25-2016, 3:18pm
I love to see these collections. I show them to my wife when she complains about my paltry few instruments.:)

Jim Garber
Jan-25-2016, 5:25pm
Of specific interest to this forum would be the 1928 The Gibson snakehead mandolin

Typo? Would that be a 1924 or 1925? Did they make snakeheads in '28? Nice collection anyway.

cygnet
Aug-12-2016, 3:43pm
Typo? Would that be a 1924 or 1925? Did they make snakeheads in '28? Nice collection anyway.

you know, I'll have to look into that. I was just told that it was a 1928 by the person I got it from, as well as the 1922 mandocello. I actually traded a guitar to Paul Hamer (namesake of Hamer guitars) for both of them, and he told me the years, but I've never checked with the labels.

Jeff Mando
Aug-12-2016, 10:56pm
Speaking of Hamer, is that a Hamer prototype guitar?

JeffD
Aug-12-2016, 11:42pm
Very nice.

cygnet
Aug-13-2016, 7:33am
Speaking of Hamer, is that a Hamer prototype guitar?

I had friends over at Hamer, Joel and Paul, and they made me that guitar. It was back in the days when Roland had come out with a guitar synthesizer, so it's got a synth driver midi pickup right above the bridge.