PDA

View Full Version : Which One Is The Better Mandolin

Mp31guitar
Jan-19-2016, 4:39pm
I'm looking at a Loar LM-700 F model or an Eastman MD-515 F Model. Both are $1000 dollars. Which one would you guys pick?

JeffD
Jan-19-2016, 4:42pm
The one that sounded better and was more comfortable to play.

:)

Nathaniel Winthrop
Jan-19-2016, 4:50pm
Have to agree with Jeff. For what it's worth, I played that Eastman in a store and found it was very easy on the fingers and had a nice tone. Might have just been the setup but I liked it.
You might find this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?87015-Eastman-MD-515-vs-Loar-LM700) thread useful, but general consensus seems to be it's a personal preference.
From what I've heard about both, you can't really go wrong.

Mp31guitar
Jan-19-2016, 4:55pm
I haven't been able to play either one. Just looking online. I figured you guys would know better than me.

Northwest Steve
Jan-19-2016, 5:08pm
The comparison would be similar to For or Chevy, Toyota vs Honda. Some people will prefer one over the other for feel or sound. You will also get some variability between the same maker model. There is a nice looking used Eastman 515 in the classifieds. Do you need the scroll or would an A style be ok? If so the Kentucky 900,950's are mighty fine instruments. Feel confident that with a $1000 budget you should be able to find a very nice instrument.

avaldes
Jan-19-2016, 5:27pm
I had a Loar 520 which I sold when I traded up to my J Bovier. I love the JB, but regret having sold the Loar. I have played Eastmans, and have nothing bad to say. I like the playability larger frets on the Loar (.080), which I guess is more modern than the narrower frets on older Gibsons and, as I recall, Eastmans. I don't know if specs have changed, or if the supposed playability of larger frets is offset by the setup (probably so). Try to play both if possible, and if not try to talk to someone like The Mandolin Store (sponsor on here, NFI) who carries both, and they may ask questions as to your expectations on sound and playing to guide your decision.
That said, if I had to make the decision today, I would give the Loar a slight edge, but again that is preference based on models I've played.

Mandoplumb
Jan-19-2016, 5:33pm
I am an expert on my opinion and that is I would probably prefer the Loar. Having said that each instrument in each brand will sound different but in my opinion ( remember I'm an expert on that) a Loar has a more "Gibson" sound, a Eastman is "thinner" or more sparkle are less "dark".hard to say one is better just different.

KEB
Jan-19-2016, 5:36pm
Is it from a cafe sponsor? You might be able to call and ask the expert advice of someone at the Mandolin Store, Fiddler's Green, Elderly, or the like.

avaldes
Jan-19-2016, 5:39pm
To make your decision easier, Fiddler's Green (NFI) has a Bovier F5 tradition at under $900.

9lbShellhamer
Jan-19-2016, 5:50pm
Between the two, I'd pick the Eastman. I prefer the Eastman tone. But without playing them both it's a toss up.

There was an Eastman 315 at Carters last month that sounded awesome for the price. If I had to pick an F under a grand I think I'd just get that 315!

I decided upon a Kentucky KM950 for $1000 as my first "serious" instrument.

darrylicshon
Jan-19-2016, 7:55pm
Do you already have a mandolin if so what kind, do you like it . The loar has bigger frets and a wider nut width. I've read that a lot of people like the Eastman 315 better than the 515, it would be great if you could get to a store to try out some mandolins even a guitar center i know they carry the loars . Good luck

mandobassman
Jan-19-2016, 8:14pm
To make your decision easier, Fiddler's Green (NFI) has a Bovier F5 tradition at under $900.

J Bovier F5T. That's the one I'd go with. JB's have been really consistantly good mandolins. The F5T's that I have played have been fantastic.

However, if only choosing between the Loar and Eastman, my pick would be The Loar.

MandolinCat
Jan-19-2016, 8:15pm
I have an Eastman and I adore it. I have not played a Loar, but I feel pretty sure that you would not be disappointed in the Eastman.

allenhopkins
Jan-20-2016, 12:53am
If you can't play them before buying, close your eyes and pick one. They're different, but one's not "better."

If you're mostly playing bluegrass, the Loar might sound a bit "'grassier." But there's enough variance among individual mandolins of the same make and model, so generalizations aren't worth a damn. (Including that one.)

Jill McAuley
Jan-20-2016, 3:18am
The neck profiles on the Loars that I've played have been chunkier than on the Eastmans, so if you've a preference that's something to keep in mind. I don't think you'll go wrong with either of them.

Eric C.
Jan-20-2016, 7:35am
I'd buy a ham sandwich (Kentucky KM-950 or 900).

CES
Jan-20-2016, 9:25am
Agree, if you don't have established preferences regarding neck profile, then flip a coin or pick which one looks better to you. The neck profiles are different and as described above. I tend to like a radiused FB (which both have) and larger frets (Loar wins here), but recently bought an Eastman 315 on clearance because it was just too much mandolin to pass up for $429, and it filled a need (well, a want, anyway). Well set up it plays easily, and I've adjusted to the differences in the neck profile and have no issues switching between it and my Silverangel, which has a deeper V shape, pronounced radius, and larger frets.

I've played both, and think you're likely to be happy with either...good luck!

Johnny60
Jan-20-2016, 10:24am
CES - unless the specs have changed recently, I don't think the Loar have a radius. I believe they're flat.

itstooloudMike
Jan-20-2016, 10:34am
I am a guitar player, and have found I always prefer larger frets and a radius fretboard on a mandolin. I owned an Eastman 815, and wanted to love it, but didn't. Between the two, I would choose the Loar. But I would not choose either if spending $1000. For that much money, I would look for a used Weber A-style. Even if you had to up the budget by a couple hundred, you would be getting a far superior instrument. I currently play a Bitteroot-A and love it. I would never go back to a Pac-Rim mando, unless I wanted a beater for under $500. Just my opinion, and others will disagree.