PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Epiphone Mandolin

Stevo75
Jan-19-2016, 12:24pm
I'm trying to figure out what this instrument is worth and the history of Epiphone mandolins so I know why mine is different from the same model that is available new.

See the pics below. I have an F style Epiphone model number MM 50 and Serial # 96080020. It says "100% Inspected and Set-up in the USA by Epiphone 26". The truss rod access cover says Gibson on it (although I suppose that may not be original - it is as far as I am aware). I have a hard shell case with the epiphone logo on it.

I bought it from a guy I used to work with who now works at Planet Bluegrass (Rockygrass in Lyons Colorado). He knows his instruments and I trust him. I paid $600 for it back in maybe 2003 or 2004 or so. I think he was the original owner and I think he said he paid $800 for it but I can't remember. I'm also not sure how long he owned it.

If you look up a model MM50 now, you'll see they cost about $500 new. Actually, they may not be available anymore but I know they were sold recently for around $500+. I was thinking of selling mine and when I looked that up I thought maybe I got ripped off. But then a used MM 50 came up on craigs list that was a few years old. I went and played it and it was a totally different instrument. It felt cheap and sounded like a very entry level instrument. The weight felt different and the sound was completely different. I'm not saying mine sounds like a Collings or anything, but it sounds very good for an entry level instrument. Maybe close to an Eastman but not as good as one of the good Eastmans (some sound better than others).

Note the fretboard inlays in the pictures. The more recent ones do not have these (have the dots instread).

Does anyone know anything about this? Did these used to be made in a different location and to a different standard in the past? I think Epiphone used to be made by Gibson or something along those lines.

If I sell this I want to be able to explain that this is different from a more recent model MM 50 and should be priced as such.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-19-2016, 1:02pm
That three screw truss rod cover identifies it as an import. Gibson was putting their name on these things as late as the early 2000's that I know of. Probably made in Korea, maybe Japan. That was a standard Asian copy of a Gibson fretboard inlay from the 70's that showed up on imported mandolins for years. If we can determine the year by the serial and I suspect we can it should tell us where it was made.

The biggest difference will be the country of origin.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-19-2016, 1:10pm
Made in Korea
August of 1996
Production Number: 0020

Stevo75
Jan-19-2016, 1:38pm
Great thanks! Do you know anything about the build quality for different years and different countries? This mandolin sounds so much better than any entry level instrument you would buy new for $300-$500 (with the exception of an A style Eastman), but I don't know how I could justify/explain that in a classified ad. If I ask $500 for it (for example) and someone looks on ebay and sees used MM 50s selliing for 300/350 they'll think it's overpriced. Maybe I'll just hold onto it and someday it will make an great starter for someone lucky.

I was hoping there was a known explanation like the Korean ones from the mid 90s were better than the ones that came after that, but maybe I just got lucky and got one of the good ones. Maybe the guy who sold it to me put a lot of work into it. I'll try to track him down and ask him about it.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-19-2016, 1:42pm
The last one of these I played was dead, probably a bad setup. I'm not going to be any help on that.