PDA

View Full Version : RIP Glenn Frey

MikeEdgerton
Jan-18-2016, 8:19pm
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/18/entertainment/glenn-frey-obit-feat/index.html

Londy
Jan-18-2016, 8:22pm
I just read the news today! OMG! I cant believe it. I'm still shocked over David's death now this.
RIP Glenn, you were a great talent and big influence for music.

Glassweb
Jan-18-2016, 8:49pm
say what you will about The Eagles, all i can say is that Glen Frey was a superb songwriter, singer and musician. what a pro... sorry to hear he's moved on...

Denny Gies
Jan-18-2016, 9:12pm
The Eagles are one of my all time favorite bands. He will be missed.

LadysSolo
Jan-18-2016, 9:19pm
I too loved the Eagles' music. Very sad......

Austin Bob
Jan-18-2016, 9:37pm
RIP Glenn, thanks for the music.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-19-2016, 2:57am
'Eagles' are my very favourite band in any genre 'ever' !!. To learn of the passing of Glen is a very,very sad thing,especially as me & my wife were watching the Eagles ''Farewell 1 Tour'' DVD (once again !) yesterday afternoon. IMHO,the Eagles were the consumate band.Their song writing,arrangements & performances were never less than awesome & Glen Frey was always at the heart of it.
Where to now ? - I wonder if they'd consider asking Don Felder or maybe Bernie Leadon to re-join them. 'Whatever' - i sincerely hope that they can see their way to carry on after such a crushing blow. Only time will tell,
R.I.P Glen Frey

G7MOF
Jan-19-2016, 4:07am
God rest you Glenn.

northfolk
Jan-19-2016, 8:28am
This is truly shocking news; very sad as well. Another icon passes on. I had a chance to see them last summer and could not make it happen; very regrettable. The Eagles were a big part of my musical influence and enjoyment. Their music lives on. We will miss you Glen Frey; R.I.P. and God Bless.

David Rambo
Jan-19-2016, 8:42am
RIP Glenn.

Mandobart
Jan-19-2016, 8:43am
I took up playing guitar forty some years back because of Neil Young, John Prine and The Eagles. Sad to hear of Glenn's passing. Wishing peace to his loved ones.

darrylicshon
Jan-19-2016, 9:03am
I only say the eagles once in 1978 it was a great show. RIP Glenn

bigskygirl
Jan-19-2016, 10:53am
Dang...Hotel California is the first album I remember buying...RIP Glenn (sigh)

EdHanrahan
Jan-19-2016, 11:28am
In '79, my wife & I drove a friend's pickup from NJ to the Grand Canyon, carrying whitewater kayaks and camping gear for 5 of us. When we got close and were a bit ahead of schedule, I REALLY wanted to make a 50-80 mile detour, which she thought was absolutely insane. A year later, she became a major fan and still regrets that I didn't get my wish: a picture of us by the truck, standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-19-2016, 11:43am
In '79, my wife & I drove a friend's pickup from NJ to the Grand Canyon, carrying whitewater kayaks and camping gear for 5 of us. When we got close and were a bit ahead of schedule, I REALLY wanted to make a 50-80 mile detour, which she thought was absolutely insane. A year later, she became a major fan and still regrets that I didn't get my wish: a picture of us by the truck, standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona.

I managed to get a picture of myself on the Banks of the Ohio a few years ago. I understand the draw :)

You'll be pleased to know that this exists.

farmerjones
Jan-19-2016, 4:33pm
GF said, "We did what anybody that lived upstairs from Jackson Browne would do. We played music."

At that time, I was a little kid on skateboard cruising around LA not far from Echo Park.
Those were magic times. Saturdays in Griffith Park. Thanks for the memories GF.

Remember, for the cool folks it was Eagles. Not "the" Eagles.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-20-2016, 4:24am
From Farmerjones - "Remember, for the cool folks it was ''Eagles'' ". Absolutely !. (Ref.my post #7). I've managed to miss 2 Eagles concerts over here in Manchester. One year me & my wife went abroad on holiday on the Saturday, & i only learned a few days before that Eagles were due to play 2 concerts,on the following Monday & Tuesday. The second time,i didn't even know that they were playing over here - my loss.
I sincerely hope that somehow,they manage to carry on as a band,but considering Glen Frey's huge contribution to the band's overall sound,it'll be very hard to do. This is so,so sad !,
Ivan:(

Caleb
Jan-20-2016, 9:55am
Glenn was always my favorite Eagle, and I thought he was the best singer in the group. When I first started playing acoustic guitar I got an Eagles songbook and tried hard to learn the strumming pattern on Tequila Sunrise. Good times.

Cheryl Watson
Jan-20-2016, 10:12am
"Take It Easy" now, Glenn. Oh, so shocking to me. The Eagles were the soundtrack of my young life.

EdHanrahan
Jan-20-2016, 3:09pm
I wonder if they'd consider asking Don Felder or maybe Bernie Leadon to re-join them.
A bit off-topic but:
7 or 8 years ago, I was working in the yard and turned the boombox to the local NPR station. There's a guy singing live in the studio, w/ guitar and sounding great! Followed by interview w/ references to Glenn Frey, Jackson Brown, etc., interspersed with more excellent singing for the next hour and a half, w/out ever saying who the heck it was. But I was captivated!

Finally, while signing off, the interviewer added: "And we've been speaking with Eagles' founding member Bernie Leadon." Yes, even the dropouts were most talented! (IIRC, BL added the banjo to Take It Easy.)

journeybear
Jan-20-2016, 3:24pm
Famous people die all the time, and their passing affects multitudes of people, for whom the deceased had meant a lot. It just seems that the mass media cultural pantheon has taken a big hit recently with so many well-known performers dying so closely together - David Bowie, Natalie Cole, Lemmy, Bob Denver, Alan Rickman, and now Glenn Frey. It's gotten to be a bit much. :(

I was on stage Monday night when an audience member came up and told us Glenn Frey had died. I didn't believe him, made a couple calls during the next break to confirm, but didn't get anyone. When someone repeated this during the next set I figured it was true. We put our heads together to come up with a song to do as a tribute. The singer said he knew "Take It Easy," which I also knew, though the bass player did not. Apparently neither did the singer after all, judging from the chords he played and the words he sang. :disbelief: So we butchered it pretty well. I suppose it was perfect, in some ironic sense, as people mess up their songs all the time. ;) But it didn't feel so good at the time. :( Oh well! RIP, Glenn Frey.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: There has been a certain amount of Eagles-bashing in the social media sphere - it seems these occurrences inspire some people to use the occasion to espouse their long-held opinions. This led to the following piece being written. Anyone who champions kindness, civility, good manners, courtesy, respect, sympathy, and being considerate is A-OK AFAIC. I've never been a big fan of The Eagles, though I like a lot of their songs, and I've played some of them a fair amount over the years. * Heck, I even had a duo going for a while called "Tequila Sunset" - more a play on words and nod to the local fascination with the sunset (and the place we played most often, Sunset Lounge, on the Navy base) than anything specifically Eagles-related. "Their Greatest Hits" is the second-most selling album of all time, so they must have been doing something right. Being popular may not mean the same as being good - whatever that is - but neither does it mean the same as being uncool. It's too bad enough people were so unkind that the author felt compelled to write this piece, but I'm glad he did. These things needed to be said - apparently. :confused:

* I once got tipped $130 to NOT play "Hotel California" (that's what the guy wanted, but we didn't know it, and played something else), which is a hell of a good story I'll tell another time. So I'm grateful for that. ;)

http://culturecatch.com/music/glenn-frey-eagles

mandroid
Jan-20-2016, 3:35pm
People my age seem to be passing on, I was too poor and lacked the connection, luck, opportunities
for that Rock and Roll Fame lifestyle, so I keep plodding onward ..

journeybear
Jan-20-2016, 3:42pm
As did I, and plenty others as well. And we're all here. It ain't all bad. ;)

Glassweb
Jan-20-2016, 4:59pm
as an aspiring and ongoing songwriter myself, to write even ONE song that would become a "classic" is a lifelong dream. i'm sure many of you songwriters out there would say the same thing.
but when you got a guy like Glen Frey who has written at least a DOZEN classic, lasting, generation-defining tunes... well, you get my drift. as i said in an earlier post, say what you will about The Eagles (maybe TOO successful for their own good), but Glen Frey was/is a brilliant musician in every way who shared his unique gifts with the world and, in doing so, made it a much more peaceful, easy, soulful and melodic place.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-21-2016, 2:56am
From Caleb - " I got an Eagles songbook...". I still have my very well used copy - maybe time to dig it out & go through some of the tunes i tried to play ages ago,although 'Desperado' with it's zillion chords to the bar got me beat !!!,
Ivan

mtucker
Jan-21-2016, 8:14pm
Southern Californian's have identified with that band, and in particular...Glenn Frey...for many years. Every member is so talented but he was the heart and soul of that band...they ARE the quintessential California band and the loss of Glen Frey creates a huge void. RIP GF.

jetsedgwick
Jan-25-2016, 6:54pm
a real loss, I love his music.

hucklebilly
Jan-25-2016, 8:50pm
A bit off-topic but:
7 or 8 years ago, I was working in the yard and turned the boombox to the local NPR station. There's a guy singing live in the studio, w/ guitar and sounding great! Followed by interview w/ references to Glenn Frey, Jackson Brown, etc., interspersed with more excellent singing for the next hour and a half, w/out ever saying who the heck it was. But I was captivated!

Finally, while signing off, the interviewer added: "And we've been speaking with Eagles' founding member Bernie Leadon." Yes, even the dropouts were most talented! (IIRC, BL added the banjo to Take It Easy.)

Yeah, Bernie was awesome!