PDA

View Full Version : Site-wde navigation has changed

Scott Tichenor
Jan-17-2016, 1:44pm
I tweaked the site-wide navigation today and wanted to summarize some changes, noting as my better half likes to say, "no one likes change but a wet baby." Sorry for the discomfort this may cause some but in the long run it's my opinion these are positive changes. Yes, I'm well aware this is the internet and not everyone agrees.

First, one of the very top focuses of this site is News and I've felt strongly for some time it needed it's own single link in the main navigation at the top instead of being embedded inside the "Community" link which I never got used to. "Community" title went bye-bye.

I refuse to touch the Builders link and configuration. They are a critical part of this site as well so that remains untouched.

Social Group link which was inside of "Community" has moved inside the Learn/Listen.

Events Calendar, which has its own "Calendar" link on the Forum only (but not on other pages throughout the site) has moved inside the Learn/Listen site-wide.

The Forum only has a new link on the left side entitled "What's New" which provides a broader summary of what's going on at this Forum such as posts to Social Groups, Blogs. I felt along with today's changes it was time to activate that. There is always a lot of activity going on outside of just the main Forum posts and this is all a part of member activity.

For now that's enough. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Addendum:

The "Activity Stream" link that was inside the Quick Links (and which has been removed) on the Forum only is identical in results to the new "What's New" link.

The Member Blogs link is also inside the Quick Links on the Forum navigation only.

Josh Levine
Jan-17-2016, 2:11pm
Scott my biggest struggle with the changes has been figuring out how to easily navigate from one add in the classifieds back to the section I am browsing, which previously i could do by clicking mandolins or whatever section (IIRC).

Scott Tichenor
Jan-17-2016, 2:16pm
That is not related to what was announced above.

All of the links that were always on the Classifieds are still there and are simply inside a drop-down menu in the same place. You need JavaScript activated to use that. If you don't you'll have event bigger problems surfing the internet at large.

That's a separate topic so let's keep the focus on this announcement. If you need to discuss Classifieds please contact me privately.

Josh Levine
Jan-17-2016, 2:32pm
Oh that makes sense. Thanks Scott.

JeffD
Jan-17-2016, 3:03pm
I really like the format of the News link. Very morning coffee magazine like. Or morning diner menu like.

I am one of the (apparently) many who don't like changes, but I can see this and other recent changes are immediate improvements, making it easier to find what I want.

noah finn
Jan-17-2016, 4:18pm
I'm liking the whats new section. Great to see whats happening on the forum and social groups etc. Great addition. Thanks.

JeffD
Jan-18-2016, 9:41am
I am one of the (apparently) many who don't like changes, but I can see this and other recent changes are immediate improvements, making it easier to find what I want.

Much easier. Everything I want is right in front of me. Like its always been this way.

San Rafael
Jan-19-2016, 9:32am
Café rocks. Thanks Scott T.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jan-19-2016, 2:52pm
It's never easy making changes to web pages that have been as popular and heavily used as the Cafe, and in the end you can't please everyone. Kudos to Scott for making it easy for us oldies to adapt to the new format.

Jim Garber
Jan-19-2016, 3:00pm
Not so bad for me — does that make me a "wet baby"? It is all for the better. Thanks, Scott!!