PDA

View Full Version : Sally Goodin Practice Stuff

Michael H Geimer
Mar-04-2004, 3:15am
Hey Gang,
I put some generic guitar tracks up on the Mandolin Project Yahoo! Site (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject/).

They're just bare-bones guitar chords at different tempos, but I played along with 'em just fine. So, I hope they are usefull.

Now go get yer mandolin, and do this! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

- Benignus ... I cracked up when I saw I was 'Ernie' over at Yahoo! Looooong (but funny) story.

Jaded
Mar-04-2004, 11:07pm
Thanks for putting them up, for some reason when I try to download them it says i'm not authorized to view the page...i'm all logged in and everything...any ideas?

Dedian
Mar-05-2004, 8:18am
eek! Looks like we hit the download limit... is that a daily thing? I've got plenty of space available to host files if there needs to be a better spot. The only problem from my end is that it's only DSL so it wouldn't be as snappy as yahoo.

John Zimm
Mar-05-2004, 8:48am
I got them this morning and saved them to my hard drive. Thanks for doing that. I also downloaded audacity and am liking it so far. I have yet to figure out how to record a second track on top of the first, but other than that it is a lot of fun.

By the way, I'm looking at another week I think until I've got Sally Goodin down. That fourth part with the notes in the upper positions is a bugger for me.

-John.

Bluegrasstjej
Mar-05-2004, 4:29pm
Yahoo has those download limits, don't think it's daily but it depends on how many people who try to download the stuff at the same time. Annoying, you just have to try later.

fmspinc
Mar-05-2004, 5:12pm
Not sure which heading to post this under...

I simply can not open the Sally Gooden file. #I am on a Mac, I have downloaded the TEF (several times), it opens OK. #Where is the Sally file located, how do I access it. #When I try to launch it from the site I get a 'text'page - all scrambled, no Tab.. #I have tried to save it to my desktop, but it can't be accessed that way either ??

Please help.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-05-2004, 5:54pm
fmspinc,
I get these sorts of questions a lot, as I work in the very Mac-centric print industry. Here are some thoughts ...

First I'm assuming that you have installed TablEdit for the Mac onto your computer. ( There *is* a Mac version, isn't there? )

If so, try dragging the TEF file right onto the program icon for TablEdit. It should then open correctlly as a TablEdit file, rather than opening in what seems to be just useless ASCII text.

In basic term, a Mac doesn't *know* what program it's supposed to use when opening a file, unless that file was first created on a Mac. Most TEF - I would guess - start off their lives as either MIDI files, or some other sort of PC format. So, your Mac probably just doesn't know what to do with the TEF file, unless you drag it right where you want it to go - by dropping the file right on top of the TablEdit program icon.

Hope that helps,
- Benig

Russ(String-Alley)
Mar-05-2004, 6:25pm
Hey Bro!

N I C E !!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUPERSWEET!!!

great man!!!!

-Russ

Pete Braccio
Mar-06-2004, 2:50am
Hi fmspinc,

Here's a walkthrough for getting TabEdit files to work on your Mac.

1) Like Benignus said, first you need the TEFView software. Get it at http://www.tabledit.com/download/downlo_e.shtml.

2) Download the song file from Benignus' site. Do this by holding down the Control key (ctrl) and then clicking on the Sally Goodin link. A pop up window will now appear. (If you have a three button mouse you can right click on the link to get the same pop up window.)

3) Choose the "Saved linked file as ..." option. This opens another pop up window that looks like a Save window. It will have the name of the file and give you a choice of location to save it in. Click save.

4) You MAY get another pop up that save that there is a TEF extension on the end of the file and would you like to append .txt to the end. Select don't append.

5) Now, depending on if you are running MacOSX or Mac 9 or earlier you can either; a) double click on the song file (Mac OSX) or b) drag and drop the song file on the TEFViewer icon (Mac OS ( or below)

If all else fails, you can email me with specifics and I'll try and walk you through this.

In the more info than you need to know catagory, Benignus was mostly right about Macs not knowing what a file is if it is not made on a Mac. In Mac OS 9 and below there was a seperate metadata file that contained information about what app is used for that specific file. If the file was made on a Windows box, this metadata file was not made. In Mac OSX, the OS uses the extension (.txt, .tef, .pdf, etc.) at the end of the file name to specify which application is needed to open the document. By default, the extensions are hidden. Single click on a document, then type the key combination "AppleKey and i" and you'll see the extension in this information box.

I hope I clarified and did not confuse here.

Pete

Michael H Geimer
Mar-06-2004, 1:06pm
Hey braccio,
Great instructions! I forgot about all the OSX changes, still stuck running 9.2 at my desk. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Anyway, one minor correction ... all of the files and whatnot are located on our Yahoo! Group site. I am just a participant in all this. It was craig who concocted this Grand Scheme, and he deserves much praise for the effort.

- Benig