PDA

View Full Version : Springfield, VT

Dave Caulkins
May-04-2005, 11:57am
Howdy Y'all,

I'm itching to jam since my band and I parted (check out Ingrid Ayer, if you can, she is a great performer and singer). Is anyone up here? I'm looking to play with anyone open to playing with a freak like me. Hopefully, I will be putting together another group, which sticks closer to traditional country and roots music than what I've done so far (with a healthy dose of agressive r&r, as I played metal for awhile http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif )

I love Bluegrass, and I would be open to any bluegrass jams going on (it's just not my first love - sorry). I also play guitar and mandola (though my mandola needs some TLC).

Please come out of the woodwork!

Dave

Jonathan Reinhardt
May-08-2005, 7:58am
There's a regular bluegrass get together in Rutland, try bmathews@sover.net. I don't think I know this person, but found out about this thru Ron Wood and friends in Westminster.
Don't miss Jenny Brook Bluegrass Festival, Weston, June 24, 25, and 26.
And I'll let you know of house parties in the Bellows Falls area - NH side! Not bluegrass, but a wide variety of musicians. Feel free to message me.
Also check with Jesse Peters at his Morning Star open mic, he has a good knowledge of whats going on.

rasa

Dave Caulkins
May-12-2005, 11:31am
Thanks!

I've been to the MorningStar open mike, pretty cool (my band, when we still Blackwater Side played there). I had nearly forgotten about it, unfortunately, as one of my old band mates (Ezra Veitch) runs an open mike in Bellows Falls at PKs. I never found an open welcome to play with many of those folks at MS, it seems like an 'established' performers stage. I guess I need to return to view, I just feel naked without other musicians. Solo performance is something I probably need to develop as a songwriter, but its amazing how much a band/accompaniment does to comfort me.

I occasionally sit in with the musicians who play my workplace, Ascutney Mt. (I'm a chef by evening). I've played with Guy Burlage recently, who is a great guy with a taste for some Alt. I just drop the 'whites' and pick up my mandolin and finish the set with whoever after the last plate is served.

House Parties? Now we're talkin! I actually lived in Westminster for awhile, I would have liked to remain there but I bought a house up here in Springfield (where I could afford to pay a mortgage and still eat!). I'm more than willing to visit my old stomping grounds if anything goes on down there.

Glad to know I'm not alone,

Dave

Jonathan Reinhardt
May-12-2005, 9:12pm
I'll keep you posted, Dave. You're not alone, there are plenty of musicians just a blink away. Springfield is a fine town, albeit a bit quiet sometimes. However, come to think of it, it's the only town I ever got my car windows shot out in!
Jesse is a fine person. And yes, even his open mic has succumbed to that take over business. Just work with him, you won't regret it. He can sometimes seem rather distant, but has a heart of gold and responds well to real music. He's a very gentle soul.
Ezra still has all his stuff going on in BF - quite the character. But PKs and the Friday session (Rick's?) are not much fun, despite Ezra's best intentions. He's a gracious host, but his heart's in his playing. Saw his recent band sharing a night/weekend with Stone Coyotes and it was in rare form. (Stone Coyotes were their usual, good - and relentless to the point of near boredom.)
There is a drum night, Monday evenings at Mark's studio (woodworker - last name escapes me at the moment) on the island (BF), canal side, in the back - north most space. Usually 6 - 9 drummers, baliphone (sp?), etc., and sometimes some horns and strings.
And how are you with the more esoteric stuff? - Ascutney is home to friend Zachiah Blackburn, flute maker and sound healer. Occassional get togethers (formal for $ and informal) that truly are out there. I am always blessed indeed when he accompanies me. And when I can let myself go and accompany him - nothing like I've ever experienced before!
Now as to alt. country in the region, I am less knowledgable than I care to admit. But somehow I feel it is a broader musical environment around here than one can imagine, and I just intertwine my early (and alt.) country leanings with all the other music I find. Works fine for me.

rasa

billkilpatrick
May-13-2005, 3:35am
there's a shop in brattleboro which might have some information:

www.mapleleafmusic.com

i've got family in quechee.

Dave Caulkins
May-13-2005, 12:29pm
I bought my now traded Rigel A+ from Maple Leaf; Kate still thinks I'm crazy to have a Vega for my primary hatchet http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
(truth be told, when I have to plug in I use a 1984 Flatiron A52)

If your ever up and aching to jam, drop me a line. I also play guitar (I've been playing the Guit far longer than Mando). Not that I'm against multiple mandos!

Dave

PS: I may have found a new singer to work with playing with Jason Cann (sp?) last night. I've heard her take the mike accapella before and she can wail (her name is Spring). Better yet, I was talking with Jason about old and alt. country players up here and she heard Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo come out of my mouth and she freaked. Apparently she's from St. Louis, and digs all the old stuff (Cash, Williams, etc.) as well as the aggression laden new (Hank III, Rev Horton Heat, etc). Sounds like a match to me... shame she doesn't play anything...

billkilpatrick
May-13-2005, 12:58pm
i live in italy but i'll drop you a line next time i'm in the neighborhood.