PDA

View Full Version : United Airlines policy on carrying on instruments

Mark Miller
Jan-10-2016, 10:53am
I know there have been lots of discussions about whether airlines will let you count a mandolin as your carryon. Since I just bought one on a trip, I checked United's policy and they say that "a small instrument such as a guitar or violin" can be carried on provided there's room in the overhead compartments when you board. So pay an extra 30 bucks for priority boarding and you should be ok on united. They didn't blink an eye on my flight from Austin to Houston, but then they probably see that a thousand times a day in the Austin airport. Just in case, I have the web page with their stated policy open on my iphone in case there's an issue on the Houston-Chicago leg. Here's a link for anyone's future reference
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/fragile.aspx?Mobile=1#Musicalinstruments

jazzjune18
Jan-10-2016, 11:26am
Yep. As long as there is room I have never had a problem. Of course I use a gig bag so it takes up less room. Ymmv

DougC
Jan-10-2016, 11:43am
Some airlines like Delta, are making the overhead storage smaller. Especially on short flight jets.

lloving
Jan-10-2016, 12:13pm
Some airlines like Delta, are making the overhead storage smaller. Especially on short flight jets.
Just flew Delta from Minneapolis to Washington DC. Overheads were so small I doubt any instrument in a case would fit, other than a piccolo possibly. In addition they were trying to get you to check through, meaning what ever you checked ended up "in the system" and not available on the ramp when you arrived.
I was not carrying my mando on this trip but my carryon bag that usually fits in even the most limited space had to go under the seat in front of me, not in the overhead.
Not a musician friendly situation created by Delta.

jazzjune18
Jan-10-2016, 1:04pm
Small gig bag ANd mandolin that you don't care too much about. ;)

JeffD
Jan-10-2016, 2:29pm
Most flights it seems they limit us to two carry ons, including the personal one.

And most of my flying is for work, so I have my laptop computer with me. Which means I traveling with mandolin it is likely to have to be checked.

I keep a mandolin on the west coast, where I frequently have to work, and that way don't have to schlep it across the country.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-10-2016, 5:37pm
The smaller "regional jets" now used by most airlines for short hops and less traveled legs do have a much smaller overhead that many times cannot accommodate a roll on case. As far as traveling with a mandolin in a gig bag it would best be a mandolin you really didn't care about. I think the 30.00 for priority boarding is a pretty good idea but I always say hope for the best, plan for the worst. Most people don't have the luxury of not boarding and missing the flight if there isn't room for their instrument.

Thomas Chapmond
Jan-10-2016, 6:26pm
The smaller "regional jets" now used by most airlines for short hops and less traveled legs do have a much smaller overhead that many times cannot accommodate a roll on case. As far as traveling with a mandolin in a gig bag it would best be a mandolin you really didn't care about. I think the 30.00 for priority boarding is a pretty good idea but I always say hope for the best, plan for the worst. Most people don't have the luxury of not boarding and missing the flight if there isn't room for their instrument.

I fly United regularly and I never leave home without my mandolin. Even the smaller jets overhead has room for a mandolin, even in a Calton case. Flying with a gig bag is risky, I can't tell you how many times I have put my mandolin in the overhead and somebody comes along and tries to CRAM a briefcase or something outside it. A Travelite probably would be ok, but I would be very hesitant using a gig bag. Getting early boarding is a great idea, I always do, the problem comes if you have connections and the first flight is late, you may wind up running onto your airplane as it is closing up. I once was making connections from Houston to Austin, and barely made my connection due to delays. The plane was absolutely packed and the flight attendant said there was no space, I suggested the front closet, and she opened it to show me it was packed. Then she opened up a "slot" near the front door and said, "if it fits in here that will work, otherwise, you will have to check it, it barely fit in the slot. There was applause from the folks around me. I would suggest, be very nice, but don't just immediately agree to check your instrument without encouraging the flight attendants to help you find space.

Tempotantrum
Jan-10-2016, 7:31pm
My calton has always fit under the seat in front of me regardless of the type of plane. I often end up having to rest my feet on it but that is a fair trade vs. having to valet it.

MDMachiavelli
Jan-10-2016, 9:31pm
I guess I'm either lucky or have just boarded plans with extremely nice staff. Several times, Flight Attendants have offered to store my up front.

Rob Ross
Jan-10-2016, 10:35pm
Actually, Delta is remodeling a lot their aircraft to have bigger overhead storage. You probably ended up on a regional carrier flying under Delta colors and coded as a Delta flight, but an entirely different airline, flying much smaller regional jets. Many of those smaller jets are flying the longer legs that used to be flown only by larger mainline Delta jets. This applies to United and American too. Also, if you gate check a bag on a regional carrier's small jet, they may be able to return your bag at the destination jetway. Larger mainline jets (all major airlines) have too many bags to be able to do this, all gate check bags will be sent to your final destination baggage claim. Mainline Jet Plus: more room in bigger overhead bins. Mainline Jet Minus: when the overhead bins are full, you don't see that bag again till your final destination. Don't put your keys, medicine, tickets, passport, etc., in that bag!