PDA

View Full Version : Non-destructive instrument storage

Dusepo
Jan-10-2016, 6:28am
Hi everyone!
I am (as ever) in the throes of instrument acquisition syndrome ;) but rapidly running out of space.
I've been hanging some of my instruments from picture hooks on the wall, whilst the rest are just lined up against the wall/floor below.

Does anyone have any ideas of ways to store instruments whilst not drilling into any walls?

Jim
Jan-10-2016, 7:39am
Instrument stands are a good way if you have the floor space.

Jim Hudson
Jan-10-2016, 7:59am
American Music Furniture. Darryl there will build you the ultimate storage for your precious hoard. americanmusicfurniture.com

John Kelly
Jan-10-2016, 8:48am
As you are London the site mentioned above by jdh may not be your best bet, but certainly they offer some interesting ideas for storage. Individual instrument stands can take up a lot of space, but you could look at some of the rack stands which many bands use for guitar storage on stage. Perhaps you can get one made up for you to hold whatever number of instruments you need (plus some space for the new ones since you admit to MAS!). A good carpenter could easily make one up for you to suit sizes and you'd not have to go for exotic woods or anything too fancy.

pops1
Jan-10-2016, 9:35am
I have one in my shop that is just 2X4's, but you could stain or use different wood. Simple with upper and lower rack for smaller or larger like guitars. Free standing and nothing in the wall and can be moved if you so desire.

UsuallyPickin
Jan-10-2016, 10:20am
Pops has the right idea. I attached a shelving unit to the studs in the wall above the guitars and banjos suitable for holding smaller instruments. Now I have two tier storage. R/

jaycat
Jan-10-2016, 10:44am
You don't say which instruments you have . . . I might be willing to store some for you.

ajh
Jan-10-2016, 12:02pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?119221-Mandolin-Rack

allenhopkins
Jan-10-2016, 1:01pm
Cases, by far the best storage mode. You can control humidity better, protect from accidental damage, have the instrument(s) ready to go when you want to take them out for a jam, gig, whatever. You can keep capos, extra strings, tuners etc. with the instruments with which they go; you can accommodate attached straps (which look a bit weird hanging on the wall).

Now, someone will say, "But when I want to play my mandolin, I can't be bothered getting it out of a case." C'mon, Bro, how long are we talking about? Thirty seconds? Is that gonna really make a difference?

I understand some people look on their instruments as part of the decor; "Don't they look nice hanging there on the wall?" Sure they do, but if one of those hangers lets go, and the impact with the floor drives the end pin six inches into the body of your F-5, its beauty will be quite, well, "compromised."

Build or put up shelves to put cases on, but protect your instruments. If you want "decor," buy a $49.95 Mandolin Shaped Object. If you get an oval-hole, you can fill it half full of potting soil and grow ivy in it.

mandroid
Jan-10-2016, 1:36pm
no 'Music Room'.. (Small 1 brm House, here)

In their cases, in a closet, mostly , but for the one I'm fixing to play.. :mandosmiley:

You could have an instrument Wardrobe built to put them in
if you have a 400 year old place with stone walls.

JeffD
Jan-10-2016, 2:15pm
I am a fan of cases as well. I keep all the instruments snug in their cases, the cases in some wicker blanket trunks. The only organization no cases are completely obscured by other cases, so that the entire stable is visible and available. I tend to take them out a lot anyway, and likely would not play more if they were on the wall.

For the art and visual appeal, get some professional photographs taken of your instruments, front on. Framed and hung on the wall they are really very impressive.

Denny Gies
Jan-10-2016, 2:27pm
Listen to Allen, cases are the only way to safely store instruments, unless you have some really cheapo ones that make better wall hangings rather than music.

Bob Clark
Jan-10-2016, 4:19pm
Hi Dusepo,

I agree with those who have posted here advocating keeping instruments in their cases. It is useful to have a rack to keep the cases in, for tidy storage. These racks are easily made. Here is an old thread on the topic:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?60556-Instrument-storage-%28vertical-floor-rack-project%29&highlight=storage+rack

Post # 20 in that thread shows a rack I made quite cheaply in one afternoon and it is still serving my needs.

Best wishes,

Bob

Phil Goodson
Jan-10-2016, 7:58pm
I keep one instrument on a stand in my den for ready access, but only if the relative humidity is above 40%.
(I have no small children nor animals in the house.)

All others remain in their cases unless taken out for a reason.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-11-2016, 3:02am
If it's floor space that you're running out of,then usually there's very little option other than hanging instruments on the walls. If the instruments are mandolins only,then you could possibly have a custom built instrument stand made similar to the one shown in Bob Clark's post - but with 2 tiers,one above the other - but always stored in their cases. There's more ways of moving vertically than simply wall hanging - if the instruments are small enough. Maybe a little less spent on MAS right now, & a bit more spent on storing the ones you already have - meanwhile making provision for when MAS strikes again = a HUGE storage rack,:grin:
Ivan;)