PDA

View Full Version : Looking for mandolin as a wedding gift for my fiance. Please help

zeegrrr
Jan-09-2016, 7:03am
Hi,

My fiance has been playing mandolin for a while, and has been dying to upgrade from his crappy Rogue. I don't play, so I don't know much other than what I've researched. I know he wants solid wood, and I know he likes F-style. I can't afford a new one, so I've been looking at used ones. I found a deal for a Savannah SF-200 (newer 2012 version) for $250, and am seriously considering, but can't find reviews. All reviews I've seen are for the 100 model, which is not solid wood, or the earlier 200 model. Those reviews were not good. I found one old thread on this site from someone who purchased new in 2012, and they loved it. I hear it's made by the same people who make Loar. I'm wondering if anyone else out there owns, or has played with the Savannah SF-200 and what their thoughts were.

I also saw an Eastman MD 305 for $300. I know Eastman is a good model, but this is A-style. Maybe that doesn't matter?

I'd appreciate all input from the experienced players out there! Thanks so much!!

Mandoplumb
Jan-09-2016, 8:07am
The savanah is probably as crappy as his Rouge. In the price range you are talking he probably has as good a F style as you are going to find, there are several A's that I would consider an upgrade the Eastman is defiantly one.

JLeather
Jan-09-2016, 8:11am
For the most part you'll pay a good bit extra for an F-style over a similar A-style. There's just more work in them. You didn't say what your budget is, but I'm going to infer that it's around $300 based on the other mandolins you listed. That's not a whole lot to work with for an F-style, even a used one. Maybe you'll get lucky, but in your budget I'd recommend an A-model. More important that the specific mandolin you get him will be finding one that is set-up and playable and free from manufacturing defects. I'm guessing you don't play, which is going to make it hard for you to judge if a mandolin is in good working order. If I were in your shoes I would buy an instrument from Elderly, or one of the other very reputable online retailers of instruments. All their instruments are inspected and set-up beforehand, and Elderly even offers free shipping. In your price range there is the Kentucky KM150 and the Loar LM170, and both would be a noticeable upgrade from the Rogue. There are several threads on the forum discussing the merits of both, and generally the Kentucky KM150 seems to be the preferred choice of the two.

Good luck, and I applaud your efforts in getting your fiance a thoughtful and useful gift.

multidon
Jan-09-2016, 8:47am
I would recommend against the Savannah. Your most popular low priced decent quality solid wood F styles would be these three: Rover RM 75 for 399, with gig bag; The Loar LM 520 for 549 with hard case; Eastman 315 for 699, with hard case. Of those three, for best quality, I would choose the Eastman. If 399 is all you can afford the Rover is decent. I would further recommend buying new from a Cafe sponsor. You are unfamiliar with mandolins and if you buy from a Cafe sponsor your instrument will arrive set up and ready to play. If you buy used you can save money, true, but the two pitfalls are 1) there may be something wrong with the instrument not obvious to you because of you unfamiliarity with mandolins. 2) it may not be properly set up and you will have to take it to a luthier to be set up, an added 50-100 dollar expense, dependent on who does it and exactly what they do.

IMHO, buying used is for the experienced buyer who is fully aware of what they may be getting in to and is able to properly evaluate the instrument. Beginners should buy new, from a reputable dealer with a track record of reliability. Elderly instruments, Folkmusician.com, and The Mandolin Store all qualify, just to name a few.

It is VERY common around here for beginners to be advised to buy an A style because you get more bang for the buck that way, and for the beginner in question to reply that yes, they know that, but they just like the way an F style looks. And that indeed is all it is. Looks. There are very fine A styles out there, but for many people, F styles just look right to them, and that's what they want, period. If your fiancé has his heart set on an F style, there just is no substitute for that. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Bob Clark
Jan-09-2016, 9:23am
I would recommend against the Savannah. Your most popular low priced decent quality solid wood F styles would be these three: Rover RM 75 for 399, with gig bag; The Loar LM 520 for 549 with hard case; Eastman 315 for 699, with hard case. Of those three, for best quality, I would choose the Eastman. If 399 is all you can afford the Rover is decent. I would further recommend buying new from a Cafe sponsor. You are unfamiliar with mandolins and if you buy from a Cafe sponsor your instrument will arrive set up and ready to play. If you buy used you can save money, true, but the two pitfalls are 1) there may be something wrong with the instrument not obvious to you because of you unfamiliarity with mandolins. 2) it may not be properly set up and you will have to take it to a luthier to be set up, an added 50-100 dollar expense, dependent on who does it and exactly what they do.

IMHO, buying used is for the experienced buyer who is fully aware of what they may be getting in to and is able to properly evaluate the instrument. Beginners should buy new, from a reputable dealer with a track record of reliability. Elderly instruments, Folkmusician.com, and The Mandolin Store all qualify, just to name a few.

It is VERY common around here for beginners to be advised to buy an A style because you get more bang for the buck that way, and for the beginner in question to reply that yes, they know that, but they just like the way an F style looks. And that indeed is all it is. Looks. There are very fine A styles out there, but for many people, F styles just look right to them, and that's what they want, period. If your fiancé has his heart set on an F style, there just is no substitute for that. The heart wants what the heart wants.

+1 for Don's post. I think he's giving you great advice. If I were you, I would follow it. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. It sounds like your fiance is a lucky guy!

Best wishes,

Bob

T.D.Nydn
Jan-09-2016, 9:25am
the heart wants what the heart wants,and his heart wants you and a F mandolin.so, if you want an incredible honeymoon,,go for broke,and get him a decent F model,,,,it's a good investment for you....

mandobassman
Jan-09-2016, 9:27am
You might want to read through this current thread (link below) before you discard the Savannah ST200 as a option. I would agree that most of the past Savannah models have pretty much been mediocre or worse, but it seems they have made some changes to their more recent models and this one in particular seems to be much better than before, at least according to the comments in this other post.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?84696-The-Savannah-SF-200-(the-current-model-issued-in-2012)

Dennis Satterlee
Jan-09-2016, 9:40am
I've been married 44 years. Buy her a gift certificate at Elderlys and let her choose

Bertram Henze
Jan-09-2016, 9:43am
I expect said fiance to surface as a user in this thread any minute...:whistling:

allenhopkins
Jan-09-2016, 12:12pm
1. Because I know something (not all that much) about mandolins, I'd buy the Eastman MD305 for $300. Eastman instruments are well-made, all solid woods, and the "300" series mandolins are well-thought-of as value for their prices, new or used.

2. Because you're not a mandolinist, and your fiancé likes F-models, you might well want to follow Don's advice and consider the Rover. They're sold by the same firm, Saga, that sells the Kentucky and Trinity College brands, and are decently made, all solid woods, and carved rather than heat-pressed.

3. As stated several times above, a good shop set-up is required. If you get the instrument from dealers like Elderly, Folkmusician.com, Mandolin Store and others, you'll get that. If you go to Musician's Friend, e.g., you won't, and you'll need to pay someone local to check and adjust the set-up -- or your fiancé will have to learn to do it himself, which is do-able but bothersome.

4. Consider the accessories as well; case (will the Rogue case fit the new instrument?) or gig bag, strap, tuner -- whatever he doesn't have already.

lflngpicker
Jan-09-2016, 12:37pm
You can't do better than what Don and Allen have suggested. I also like the concept of letting her shop for one herself, as Dennis talked about. Stay away from the low priced, new mandolins. If you go new, please stick with Loar LM220, Eastman MD305 or Kentucky KM 150 (or higher). Best of luck and congrats!

George R. Lane
Jan-09-2016, 12:57pm
Guys, you keep referring to her, the fiancé is a guy.
I do agree with Don and Allen. I say go with the Rover and get the e setup book Rob Meldrum (he sends for free).
Send him an email and he will send the e book.

rob.meldrum@gmail.com

darylcrisp
Jan-09-2016, 2:56pm
when my wife and I were engaged, she received "engagement strings" and a $29 silver band(which she still wears today as her wedding ring. she plays guitar by ear and I wanted something special for her(I too was/am a guitar player). she was playing her dads old J45 which was huge on her. I found a great guitar in a Martin OMJM and the shop had a finance plan-I did not have the $ at the time to buy it outright. I purchased that guitar on a 2 year plan and to this day she still loves that guitar-in fact, anyone who plays it loves it.

but, I say in warning, its hard to buy for someone else. the sound of the mando, the feel of the neck, even how we see the color of it, can effect our desire for the instrument. this is a great idea and thought you have to make happen for you significant other, maybe consider bringing him into the choice process and doing it as a couple(the looking, shopping, and discussion will be time well spent together).

others have given spot on advice. I would consider a gift certificate from a good shop with a high reputation. maybe your SO would find the right one and need to add $ over time, or, some of the below shops I will list have special finance plans. all of them have used mandos from time to time, and that's a great way to get into an excellent F style. Most have a layaway program as well. Based on where you live, you might be able to take a daytrip and both together experience the selection process.

shops I have personally dealt with and had great service and experiences:

TheMandolinStore
TejonStreetMusic
Elderlys
Music Emporium
**there are more shops with excellent service, the above are folks I have worked with personally-often they will have a used mando taken in on trade with a very fair price, and it will be looked over before sending out.**

there are daily additions to the classifieds here, and you have the added benefit(or your SO) in finding a listing and coming onto this subforum and asking questions about it. there are many many helpful experienced folks who hang out here and they can offer up suggestions on a listed item. I will add I have sold, traded, purchased, from the classifieds here and had nothing but excellent transactions. and some folks might let you do a payment plan on a mandolin here. I have allowed that in the past for some folks to get them into something I have for sale and it has always worked out very well.

best of luck, keep us posted
d

Northwest Steve
Jan-10-2016, 12:19am
What is your budget?

Bill Kammerzell
Jan-10-2016, 9:50am
An Eastman 305 sells new for around $475.00 so that is a good buy if it is set up properly. I've seen the Eastman 315 at Reverb for reduced prices down to $499.00 or best offer. I've bought two Eastman's from one of the sellers at Reverb, (Blues Angel Music). Got the 315 for around $500.00 turnkey and the 515 for $750.00. They do a good set up. I'd look at the reduced price stuff there.

Bill Kammerzell
Jan-10-2016, 10:42am
Go over to Reverb.com. They vet their sellers. All sellers have reviews. Most have easy return policies. This seller I'm listing right now has 43 reviews and is 5 star. Loar LM520 for $365.00, free shipping. Used, very good condition. 14 day return policy.
https://reverb.com/item/1497020-the-loar-lm-520-hand-carved-f-model-acoustic-mandolin-sunburst-w-hsc

I've bought and sold here several times, over the past 2 years.

Jess L.
Jan-11-2016, 12:22am
... but, I say in warning, its hard to buy for someone else. the sound of the mando, the feel of the neck, even how we see the color of it, can effect our desire for the instrument. this is a great idea and thought you have to make happen for you significant other, maybe consider bringing him into the choice process and doing it as a couple(the looking, shopping, and discussion will be time well spent together).

others have given spot on advice. I would consider a gift certificate from a good shop with a high reputation. maybe your SO would find the right one and need to add $ over time, or, some of the below shops I will list have special finance plans. all of them have used mandos from time to time, and that's a great way to get into an excellent F style. Most have a layaway program as well. Based on where you live, you might be able to take a daytrip and both together experience the selection process.

shops I have personally dealt with and had great service and experiences:

TheMandolinStore
TejonStreetMusic
Elderlys
Music Emporium
**there are more shops with excellent service, the above are folks I have worked with personally-often they will have a used mando taken in on trade with a very fair price, and it will be looked over before sending out.**

Sounds like good advice.

Musical instrument perceptions can be quite personal/emotional, and then there's the 'fit' factor. Worse than shoes. :disbelief:

Capt. E
Jan-11-2016, 11:05am
Where do you live? Perhaps there is a store a reasonable distance away where you can get a gift certificate. I understand if you really want to buy an instrument as a gift...more impact. Perhaps you can buy with return/exchange available. I would also make sure you buy from a store that will give you a free "set-up". That is very important to maximize playability.
Personally, I prefer Kentucky brand instruments and there are several F styles to choose from, though prices start at $500 or so new (KM600 F model). Eastman and J Bovier are the other two I like, starting at somewhat higher prices ($699 or so). Honestly, if you could go as high as $1000 you should be able to find an instrument that might last your guy his whole life (we are assuming he won't get the dreaded MAS (mandolin acquisition syndrome) and yearn for another in the future.
Congratulations of your upcoming wedding.

Josh Levine
Jan-11-2016, 12:41pm
Be a good future spouse and get him that Eastman A style. You want him to sound his best and you also want to listen to the best sounding mandolin as he obsessively practices. Remember, this is now going to be 50% yours, so do your ears a favor and get the best sounding instrument for your $.

acousticphd
Jan-11-2016, 1:40pm
It's a lovely gift idea. However, I would propose you make your fiancé the offer, but then if at all possible take him to one or two stores that carry Eastmans, Kentuckys, Loars and similar all-solid models in your budget. I have to say that I would recommend against an F-style - put 100% of your money into quality materials and tone. An F-style at this point adds nothing in quality, but does double the price.

Jess L.
Jan-11-2016, 10:17pm
... I have to say that I would recommend against an F-style - put 100% of your money into quality materials and tone. An F-style at this point adds nothing in quality, but does double the price.

Yeah but...

What if he wants to get into bluegrass? From other things I've read, a person runs the risk of being laughed out of the jam :crying: or not taken seriously :mad: if they show up with anything other than an F-style... but is there any truth to that?

It's a serious question, I'm not trying to be snarky, I don't play bluegrass so I have no personal experience in this area but I've read some things including right here on this website. I would imagine that (in any genre) for established players, they could get away with playing whatever style of instrument they wished, but for someone who's not as established/famous wouldn't it be better to sorta fit in with the expected conventions? :confused:

I was just thinking that player *confidence* is a key factor in learning or improving one's playing, and wouldn't a player be more confident while using an instrument whose appearance is 'right' for the task?

Please don't shoot me. ~:> :)

multidon
Jan-11-2016, 10:31pm
The F style is what the Father of Bluegrass, Bill Monroe played. So therefore, since he is the role model, so is his instrument. Because of him, it is what most people picture when they think of bluegrass mandolin. But there are plenty of Bluegrass pickers who play A styles too. Personally, if I were to be laughed at for showing up at a jam for bringing an A style, I would walk out and never come back. But I think most jams would be just the opposite, much more welcoming. But if you show up at a jam they WILL expect you to have some skills already. It's not what you play, you see, but what you can DO with it that matters to most of those folk. You could show up with a 50 dollar Rogue, but if you're SMOKIN' on it, that's what matters!

I think once he goes to a few jams he will see a lot of A styles. Musicians, after all, are a generally impoverished group, and one of the best ways to save money on an axe is to go for an A style.

Still, there is something that's just DROP DEAD GORGEOUS about a well proportioned scroll!:)

Zach Wilson
Jan-11-2016, 10:59pm
A lot of great advice here! Below is a link for a nice Loar Grassroots F (b-stock). I've bought from the seller and could not be happier. My mandolin came set up and packed well. *(nfi)*

https://reverb.com/item/1398650-the-loar-lm-370-vsm-grassroots-series-f-style-mandolin-with-hard-shell-case

I hope this helps and doesn't just add to the noise.

Also, congratulations!

T.D.Nydn
Jan-11-2016, 11:10pm
it's what he likes,,,he wants an F model...if you get him an A , hell still want to eventually get an F...

CES
Jan-12-2016, 1:05am
Good advice so far. I generally agree that A style mandos give you more bang for the $$$. My favorite and best mando is an a style Silverangel. BUT, I recently found an Eastman 315 for 429 on clearance at a Guitar Center owned chain locally. It's really a lot of mando for the money. I got it as a beater, but am picking it up a lot lately...

Personally, I'd go with a KM 150 or the Eastman/Loar equivalent from a store that does a good set up and run with it...

Congrats on your engagement, and awesome gift idea!!!

Josh Levine
Jan-12-2016, 1:05am
Sure then he can get an f when he has a bigger budget and has built some knowledge about what he wants. People show up to bluegrass jams with all sorts of mandolins and other instruments and as others say if people aren't welcoming they are probably unpleasant people to be around in general...

mandroid
Jan-13-2016, 1:21pm
yea, A or F, all the same notes are on the fretboard ..

Labor time & materials is why there is a bump in price
to have those extra bits of wood added.

As I've Heard, Eastman has a lot of trained people carving tops and backs..

others machine cut the same parts.

zeegrrr
Jan-13-2016, 5:27pm
Wow! Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice! First time on here, so I just now saw the responses. (Thought I'd get an email when someone responded. I was wrong).

I've been PMing with someone who has given me similar advice. I'm sure my fiance would be very happy with a higher quality A style than a cheap F-style. I did not get the Savannah, and someone else grabbed that Eastman. My budget is under $400. With help, I found a nice Loar 520 with a hard case on ebay, shipped for $400! From what I gather, this is a pretty good deal for what you get. If it needs to be pro set up, we can do that. Or he can do that. I just spent $400, he can spend $100. LOL.

I live in Eugene, Oregon, so not a lot of options for stores. He's been to all of them, and the ones he liked were all over priced. Which is why he hasn't bought one. I understand, appreciate, and agree with those who advised that it's hard to buy an instrument for someone, and I should just let him pick. I SERIOUSLY considered telling him and letting him pick, but I also really wanted it to be a surprise. Knowing him, he would have a hard time letting me spend all that money on him because he would feel obligated to do the same, and that would stress him out. I just want him to enjoy it and enjoy playing! He hasn't been playing as much lately, and I know part of the reason is because he doesn't like his mandolin. So I'm hoping to reignite the flame!

Thank you again to everyone who responded! I can't wait to show him his new baby! ;)

Mandoplumb
Jan-13-2016, 10:08pm
I think you did right with that Loar. That's almost twice the money of the Savanna that I called probably crap and a big up grade from the Rogue. I had a The Loar for a while as a back up and played a few shows with it, a very good mandolin for the money.

multidon
Jan-14-2016, 10:03am
Yes, if you want an F style on a budget that also has decent quality, that is a very short list and the Loar 520 is on that list.

Bruiser
Jan-16-2016, 3:18pm
Excellent choice. I just played a Loar 520 at NAMM's Museum of Making Music, and I really liked it. I'm sure he'll love it (and you for buying it).

yankees1
Jan-16-2016, 7:13pm
Buy me a Gilchrist and I will marry you !

zeegrrr
Jan-20-2016, 2:56am
Buy me a Gilchrist and I will marry you !

LOL!:))

Thanks everyone! Happy to hear the support. I feel like I made the right choice. :grin: