PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Skills

Tim
May-04-2005, 8:30am
Urban Legends Guitar story (http://www.snopes.com/music/media/guitar.asp)

The link is to a story about a musician who learned to play a song from a recording and later learned it was two or more guitars.

They present this variation involving Duffey you can get the full context at the link:

[Duffey,] known for his work with the Country Gentlemen and the Seldom Scene, was one of many players under the spell of Bill Monroe's music as a teenager in the 1940s-50s. And, like so many of his contemporaries, he learned a lot about how to play the mandolin from Monroe's classic 1940s recordings. The thing he found most challenging was how Monroe managed to sing lead and play very elaborate, syncopated, counter-melodies as backup simultaneously, as he'd heard on records like "Sweetheart You've Done Me Wrong" and "When You Are Lonely."

As he told a interviewer Dix Bruce: "We only had 78's, and they were kind of hard to slow down. I learned a trick off of him that he wasn't really doing. I didn't know it was Lester Flatt singing the lead, and I would hear this mandolin playing going on while this guy was singing. I guessed you had to be able to do that. I used to stand in front of a mirror, and look, and sing a song, and make my hands independent of what I was singing. Every once in a while I still do it just for amusement. Bill and I did a workshop together up in Carlisle, Ontario, five or six years ago I guess, and I told him, 'You know I learned something off of you, and I bet you can't do it.' I told him the story of not knowing it was Lester singing. I sang a song and picked along behind, and he just grinned."

tiltman
May-04-2005, 11:47am
There was an early Jazz piano player (name escapes me at the moment) who learned to play from listening to piano rolls. He learned parts that were "recorded" by two pianos playing at the same time, not knowing it was two pianos playing. Wish I could remember his name.
Kirk

tiltman
May-04-2005, 12:57pm
The name Art Tatum just popped into my head...
Kirk

Pete Martin
May-04-2005, 1:29pm
If anyone was capable of playing two parts at once, it was Art Tatum.

GVD
May-04-2005, 3:00pm
That reminds me of a story Niles Hokkanen told me when I asked him how he could play such wicked vibrato on the mandolin. He said he used to try to imitate the vibrato of John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service on the electric guitar and couldn't pull it off. He ran into one of the other band members one day and said "John's got to be doing that with a whammy bar right?". The band member said no it's all done with his left hand. Niles said OK and redoubled his efforts and tought himself how to do it without a whammy bar. Then a few years later he learned that John had indeed been using whammy bar.

GVD

mingusb1
May-04-2005, 3:34pm
Aren't there similar stories about Robert Johnson? #And that he made a deal with a cetain someone in order to accomplish 2 guitar parts at once.

Z