PDA

View Full Version : Dysentary Stomp

AlanN
May-04-2005, 6:03am
Off Darol Anger's Fiddlistics from 1979. Great groove. Also Key Signator, love that Maj7 sound.

Mandomax
May-04-2005, 7:30am
Yeah man, that is a great one. It's got that killer b5 sound throughout. I got the music for it out of an old MWN. Wish I could find a CD copy of this album. Sad to say, this falls under the heading of "songs I pick but have never heard the original."

Jim Roberts
May-04-2005, 7:55am
Which issue of MWN is it in?

AlanN
May-04-2005, 7:56am
Yeah, I burned to consciousness the solo out of MWN too. The bridge is very hip.

The issue is the one with Johnny Gimble on the cover, maybe 1979.

SternART
May-04-2005, 10:16am
I'll have to go look it up....I know what it is supposed to sound like, having heard it played live a bunch of times and having had the LP in my youth...last time I tried it years ago.....it was in the category of being a bit too hard for me
to play accurately. I have a bunch of tunes like that, I try them again a few years later & sometimes have developed the
skills to actually pull it off. Jethro's Tune was one of those, but I finally can play it!

AlanN
May-04-2005, 10:26am
Was waiting for you to chime in, Dawg-boy! Jethro's Tune and Tico-Tico, 2 that are tough to pick, fer sure. Jethro's Tune needs to be F-A-S-T!

Flowerpot
May-04-2005, 12:50pm
I love this one too, but learned the head wrong. Now that I have a copy of fiddlistics (thanks, Alan) I can re-learn it right, when I get a few hours of spare time. But the chord progression is killer, love the Maj7 bridge then back to lots dark tones.

SternART
May-04-2005, 1:38pm
I just got out that ol MWN.....some other cool stuff in that issue, several times thru Sqweet Georgia Brown in the Johnny Gimble interview.
I oughta go back thru all these again. Mike Marshall's Beginners page does Panhandle Country both Monroe & Bush style. BTW that youngin'
holdin the mando in the photo with Mike's column, is sitting in front of one of my creations......a drawing of side views of Bass, Guitar, Mando & Fiddlle......they used the mando part for another MWN cover. Boy that would be a lot easier to draw today with a computer.

Jim Roberts
May-04-2005, 2:03pm
That's a great issiue of MWN. #I especially like it as Johnny Gimble is one of my all time favorite musicians!

Maybe we can work on Dysentary Stomp when I stop by your shop in a few weeks, Arthur. #Can't wait to play your new Heiden and your Woodley's. Thanks for the heads up on which issue, Alan. #I went through my stack and it was at the bottem of the pile. #There are a bunch of good tunes in these old rags that makes it worth while to pull 'em out once in a while. #I do the same with Mandolin Magazine and Mandolin Quarterly (RIP), too. #

Cheers!

AlanN
May-04-2005, 2:12pm
You bet, Jim. That MWN was chock full of good stuff. Also, Frets had some good tunes, one in particular was Joy Spring, noted out superbly by Dawggy, both A and B parts over 2 issues. I photocopied it and put it in a book.