PDA

View Full Version : 1920s Gibson Sheraton Brown F5??

JeffD
Jan-04-2016, 1:35pm
Over the holidays I was relating a story of my Gibson purchase, as a young sprite back in the 80s, and I remembered some things don't seem to make sense when looked at closely.

It was 1983 or 1984. I remember walking around that music store three or four times trying decide.

It was a choice between two mandolins, both Gibsons, both made in the 20s. One an A style one an F style. I bought the A style. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=10&attachmentid=50735) Its a 1923 A2 Sheraton brown snakehead SN#73934 FON#11865, and is a gem. I spent $1000.00.

What I remember about the other one is that it was Sheraton brown, with binding, F style, F holes, bound head stock, and I was told it was built in the same general time frame the early 20s. And the main reason I did not buy it, well two reasons. It cost as I remember $1250.00 which I didn't have, and I was not at the time enamored of scrolls and points.

I haven't thought about that other mandolin, the one not selected, in many years. And I have never seen one like it, so I am really questioning my memory.

Has there ever been a Gibson F style in Sheraton brown? I have never seen one since then, F4 or F5.

I remember someone (from the café I believe) who mentioned that a Loar F5 would have gone for something like $10,000.00 in the early 1980s, so the asking price at the shop doesn't make sense.

Any thoughts. Its a long time ago and I have slept since then.

Larry S Sherman
Jan-04-2016, 2:13pm
Perhaps it was a re-topped F4?

Mandoplumb
Jan-04-2016, 4:34pm
Maybe it wasn't a real Gibson that's shortly after the time when most builders were putting Gibson on their mandolins.

multidon
Jan-04-2016, 4:36pm
Mandoplumb beat me to it. I was going to say a "tribute" (nice word), "copy" (neutral word), or "counterfeit" (bad word).

Another possibility: special order? Or a one-off?

Bob A
Jan-05-2016, 4:25pm
Maybe it was a Loar and the shop was ignorant of its value.

Something to provoke a bit of insomnia . . .

Ken Waltham
Jan-05-2016, 7:25pm
Jeff; I would say it was a copy from the day. Gibson has never made an F5 that would remotely resemble Sheraton Brown. And, as mentioned, the price tag would not reflect any kind of vintage F5 that was "repaired". Or, as Larry says, a retopped F4, howbeit, amateurishly.

JeffD
Jan-06-2016, 10:26am
Its difficult to call into question such clear memories, but I have to concede I cannot be remembering it right.

Then to know which aspects of the memory are wrong. Maybe it is a sunburst finish, but very very dark, and I just remember it wrong. That might explain away all the technical difficulties. Its a strong memory, but it seems it has got to be wrong.

I remember it being represented as a Gibson, of the same decade. And I clearly remember the price and the shape as I obsessed about them.