PDA

View Full Version : BlueChip Advice?

Pick&Grin
Jan-03-2016, 8:41pm
Hey everyone,

With a bit of Christmas money in my pocket, I'm thinking of diving in and splurging on a BlueChip; I currently use a Dunlop 512P1.4 Primetone (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB4WBOE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage).

Before jumping, I'd greatly appreciate advice on the following questions:
1) Is it worth it (loaded and widely discussed, I know...)?
2) Which pick? Considering my current pick of choice, I'm looking at the CT55 (http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/CT55.html). Anybody have experience with that one?

Thanks, all!

Christine Robins
Jan-03-2016, 8:53pm
My experience:

I've been playing about 4 years. Mainly bluegrass & fiddle tunes. I've tried many different kinds of picks. A CT-55 is the only one I use now for both my Flattop and my A-style mandos, as well as my GDAE tenor guitar. Nothing else feels as comfortable.

If you like a wide, stiff, and relatively pointed pick, you'll probably love the CT-55. I also own a Blue Chip TAD-3R 60, which is a similar size and shape, but with rounded corners. The CR-55 gives me better precision and clarity.

Picking with my Blue Chip feels like driving a sports car. All other picks feel like driving a truck.

Bill Burch
Jan-03-2016, 8:54pm
I'm a big fan of the TP-1R XX shapes, in either the 50 or 60 gauge thickness. This style gives you two of the regular pointed corners and one rounded corner that is nice for songs that have lots of tremolo.

Bill

Mark Wilson
Jan-03-2016, 9:10pm
Hey everyone,

With a bit of Christmas money in my pocket, I'm thinking of diving in and splurging on a BlueChip; I currently use a Dunlop 512P1.4 Primetone (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB4WBOE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage).

Before jumping, I'd greatly appreciate advice on the following questions:
1) Is it worth it (loaded and widely discussed, I know...)?
2) Which pick? Considering my current pick of choice, I'm looking at the CT55 (http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/CT55.html). Anybody have experience with that one?

Thanks, all!Figure out which size you might like. TP or TAD. Both are triangle shaped with the TAD a tad larger than the TP. The CT55 is the size of the TAD. It has slightly more bevel than normal. You can order the CT55 in the smaller TP size even tho it's not listed. Just contact them and ask about it. I kinda like the 1R version for a round tip when it suits me and a pointed tip when I want a little more bite. If you order the CT55 as is you can swap it out if you don't like it.

mandroid
Jan-03-2016, 10:39pm
I got 2nd hand Ones off the classifieds .. including a CT55..

how do you hold the mandolin . ? the speed bevel is best from a particular angle .

"Fender" picks can be beveled too. you can get a dozen and try your own bevel angle

once you have one you like I guess they can replicate that in their special plastic,
if you mail one you have made best for you.

pops1
Jan-03-2016, 10:42pm
I have tried a 60,50,40 and am now using a 35. There is nothing like a BC pick, but thickness depends on the brightness of your mandolin. Mine is warm and sounds best with the 35.

BrianWilliam
Jan-03-2016, 10:45pm
IME, the CT 55 is slightly louder and brighter than the 1.5mm primetone. But, it is not 10x louder, brighter, or better. Still, what's $35 compared to the instrument cost.

So, buy one. If you don't like it, swap it or sell it.

Phil Goodson
Jan-03-2016, 11:30pm
Tad60-1r w/ bevel

Pick&Grin
Jan-03-2016, 11:50pm
Thanks for the advice, Christine! That last bit should be on BlueChip's website ;)

Picking with my Blue Chip feels like driving a sports car. All other picks feel like driving a truck.

Pick&Grin
Jan-03-2016, 11:53pm
I'm a big fan of the TP-1R XX shapes, in either the 50 or 60 gauge thickness. This style gives you two of the regular pointed corners and one rounded corner that is nice for songs that have lots of tremolo.

Thanks, Bill. That's a great point on having a rounded edge for those mellow fills.

Pick&Grin
Jan-04-2016, 12:07am
I have tried a 60,50,40 and am now using a 35. There is nothing like a BC pick, but thickness depends on the brightness of your mandolin. Mine is warm and sounds best with the 35.

Good point on the warmth, pops1. I play a Collings MTO, so it has a pretty warm sound. Do you find the 35 brings out the warmth or are you using it to get more brightness?

Zach Wilson
Jan-04-2016, 3:19am
*Following*

bbaker2050
Jan-04-2016, 5:24am
I got the CT55 for Christmas. It sounds very similar but slightly better than my smooth large triangle Primetime 1.5. The Primetone had more pick noise. And the BC grip is incredible for a smooth pick. It gives my mandolin a warm and clear sound with minimal pick noise. I used to love the Wegen TF140, but it sounds a little muffled compared to BC.I'd try it out. This pick is really growing on me.

pops1
Jan-04-2016, 9:24am
Good point on the warmth, pops1. I play a Collings MTO, so it has a pretty warm sound. Do you find the 35 brings out the warmth or are you using it to get more brightness?

It doesn't seem to make as much difference on the plain strings, but it brightens up the wound strings and that's what i am looking for. With a Collings you may want a heavier pick. I had mine made with two rounded sides and one pointy. I think he sells them like that now.

UsuallyPickin
Jan-04-2016, 9:40am
OK .....two thumbs up for the TAD .... I tried the TPR and didn't care for the rounded point. I use the CT-55 and am very satisfied with the picks "playability" and tone. I used Wegan 1.4 for awhile when I was trying to give up natural ( deleted ) shell. It is a good pick. I can't say about Primetone because it came out after I had already purchased a BC CT-55 and unless you lose it you won't need another one any time soon. R/

yankees1
Jan-04-2016, 9:45am
I use the BC tad45 and the CT55 and love them both. But, I recently bought a Primetone 1.5 and it is very good ! Very close to the BC for a lot less money but overall I still prefer the BC.

Billgrass
Jan-04-2016, 10:26am
I prefer the SR60 for more warmth than CT55. Get the correct bevel for how you hold the pick.

pops1
Jan-04-2016, 12:13pm
Get the correct bevel for how you hold the pick.

Yes, I have a friend who plays left handed but the way he holds his pick he needed a right handed pick. If you tip forward with your thumb, right, if you tip up with your finger, left. It will make or break the pick for you if wrong.

CES
Jan-04-2016, 12:30pm
CT 55 on mandolin, TAD 50 on OM, and TAD 40 on guitar (or sometimes 50 or CT 55 if I'm flatpicking exclusively). Love their feel on the strings. Did a recording this weekend (just on my phone in a windy environment) and noticed more pick noise than usual, but still better from that perspective than the Primetones, which are also good picks. I still use Wegen TF 140 on my beater, and, occasionally on my main mando if I want a little brighter tone.

IMO, it's worth it. I'd get one in the shape and thickness of whatever you like now as an initial launch point...

dwc
Jan-04-2016, 1:43pm
I have been using a CT55 for about a year and really like it. One of the things that is really nice about Bluechips in particular is that as your hand gets slightly sweaty, the pick gets sticky or sort of tacky. It is great when I have to play outdoors in South Carolina humidity. The shape seems a good compromise between very pointy and very rounded. I will say, they are durable, but not indestructible. I have begun to see some wear on mine after a year of very hard use (3+ hours a day most days).

9lbShellhamer
Jan-04-2016, 2:46pm
I love my CT55's... haven't lost either one, and I've been playing them for 2 yrs.

Pick&Grin
Jan-04-2016, 3:17pm
Cheers, bbaker2050. That really helps. While a great pick, I too find the pick noise on the Primetone 1.5.

Pick&Grin
Jan-04-2016, 3:21pm
Thanks for the advice on "how you hold the pick."
If you tip forward with your thumb, right, if you tip up with your finger, left. It will make or break the pick for you if wrong.

I'm learning a LOT!

Pick&Grin
Jan-04-2016, 3:24pm
IMO, it's worth it. I'd get one in the shape and thickness of whatever you like now as an initial launch point... Sound advice!

Glassweb
Jan-04-2016, 3:28pm
I have BC make me TAD 45s with a normal, rounded (non speed) bevel... anything stiffer than 45 and you start to kill the midrange and high-end. The TAD size and shape is just perfecto... plus it's like having 6 picks in one... will last for YEARS if you just rotate the points...

Pick&Grin
Jan-04-2016, 4:01pm
Thanks a ton, everyone!
I just ordered the CT55, as it has same specs as my Dunlop 512P1.4 Primetone.
Once I get it and have a chance to play, I'll let you all know how it goes.
Again, thank you!

Glassweb
Jan-04-2016, 7:14pm
Thanks a ton, everyone!
I just ordered the CT55, as it has same specs as my Dunlop 512P1.4 Primetone.
Once I get it and have a chance to play, I'll let you all know how it goes.
Again, thank you!

I'm sure you'll love the CT55... seems to be working out for Chris pretty well! (;0)

Pick&Grin
Jan-04-2016, 8:05pm
I'm sure you'll love the CT55... seems to be working out for Chris pretty well! (;0)

Ha, right! Now maybe I can be Chris' understudy for Punch Bros. :))

yankees1
Jan-04-2016, 8:14pm
I have BC make me TAD 45s with a normal, rounded (non speed) bevel... anything stiffer than 45 and you start to kill the midrange and high-end. The TAD size and shape is just perfecto... plus it's like having 6 picks in one... will last for YEARS if you just rotate the points... I agree, that tad 45 is great sounding !

John Soper
Jan-04-2016, 8:41pm
My best advice: DON'T GET THAT BLUECHIP!

Or if you do- leave it in it's package and send it right back to the company for a refund.

Because, once you start picking with it, you won't go back (based on my experience only).

brunello97
Jan-04-2016, 9:39pm
Has anyone tried the BC Jazz LG 35 or 40? I tend to like jazz picks but sometimes they get to feeling a bit small.

Any thoughts on those, or alternatives to the Jazz line?

Mick

JLeather
Jan-04-2016, 10:28pm
Might be too late to this thread, but I'd recommend you give the Wegen TF 140 a shot if you like this style of pick. It's my personal pick of choice. I really prefer the slicker material of the Wegen to the BC picks, and it's 1/4 of the price.

LadysSolo
Jan-04-2016, 11:31pm
Brunello, I tried (and still have) the Jazz 40. I don't like it on my bowlbacks, but I do like it on my guitar. I like the TD 40 on bowlbacks. The Jazz 40 is the size pick I usually liked prior to trying the TD 40.

brunello97
Jan-04-2016, 11:48pm
Thanks! I don't use the Jazz style picks on my bowl backs, either. But I do like a pointier pick and have been using a heavy Dogal. Nothing special in terms of material or cachet but they work for me.

I've been enjoying the BC after being content with the rotm Dunlop jazz on my flat backs but would like to try a slightly larger pick with the BC sound. Maybe the TD 40 is worth a try..

Mick

darrylicshon
Jan-05-2016, 1:17am
I love my bc picks. I go back and forth between my ct55 and my td40 but i do still use my wegen bluegrass just not often

fatt-dad
Jan-05-2016, 7:53am
didn't read all the replies. . . . Blue Chip will make you a CT-55-1R that gives you the two points with the bevel of the CT-55 and one rounded corner. I have two of these, but over time, never use the rounded corner. I don't do much tremolo though. . .

f-d

Pick&Grin
Jan-05-2016, 9:41am
My best advice: DON'T GET THAT BLUECHIP!

Or if you do- leave it in it's package and send it right back to the company for a refund.

Because, once you start picking with it, you won't go back (based on my experience only).

Ha, now you tell me, John! ;)

LBob
Jan-12-2016, 12:42pm
I recently got a CT55 after doing a pick shootout w/ a buddy. I really was in the dark ages in terms of appreciating what a good pick would do - it was the clear winner out of a handful of different picks. I shudder to think the thin little things I was using before and the crappy tone I was getting.

Paul Hird
Jan-12-2016, 2:09pm
Out of all the discussion on BC picks, I have heard nothing of the SR models. I use the SR-60, which is what I have been using for the past year or so. What am I missing? Do I need to try other BC models? It seems most are using the TD's or CT-55's. Has anyone tried the SR models and if so, can you describe the difference between the SR and the ones mentioned above.

Thanks.

Big Joe
Jan-12-2016, 11:19pm
I prefer the TAD 40. I use it for mandolin, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and ukulele. Mine has been in my pocket for 8 years until I dropped it into my recliner and it has disappeared. I have another on its way already. I have many, many picks including tortoise but I like my Blue Chip most. I don't like playing without it. I like that size for my large hands and the thickness gives sufficient rigidity but still allowing enough flexibility to use with electric guitar. I only need one pick for everything.

Zach Wilson
Jan-12-2016, 11:29pm
Out of all the discussion on BC picks, I have heard nothing of the SR models. I use the SR-60, which is what I have been using for the past year or so. What am I missing? Do I need to try other BC models? It seems most are using the TD's or CT-55's. Has anyone tried the SR models and if so, can you describe the difference between the SR and the ones mentioned above.

Thanks.

The SR is the one I am interested in most and I am having the same problem... not a lot of discussion or information on it.

music man
Jan-13-2016, 10:24am
I own an f5g Gibson it has a nice bright sound.I bought a blue chip tpr 40 in sept.loved the way it sounds.I just bought a tpr 50 on some advice from a friend I haven't had the chance to use it yet.hope it sounds good.

mandobassman
Jan-13-2016, 4:04pm

Thanks.

I haven't used the SR but I did own a XR for a while. Similar to the SR but the XR has a bit more of a point. Still pretty rounded though. It has a lovely tone. Probably my favorite for home playing. Only problem I had with it was in a live gig with a band I couldn't get any volume from it. My playing became so sloppy because I was beating the mando to death trying to be heard. Other than that it was a beautiful pick and if you like the tone from the SR, I'd be willing to bet that you probably won't like the CT55. It is quite the opposite from the SR, tonewise.

Pick&Grin
Mar-12-2016, 7:54am
Hi all,

Posting a follow-up, here. It's been two months since my CT55 arrived and I figure that's enough time to get to know a pick.
Yesterday I picked up one of my Primetone 1.4s to run a comparison, and here's what I found (entirely subjective, of course).

Feel in the hand:
Primetone - Good grip with the textured surface. Don't worry about it sliding while playing
CT55 - That "stick to your fingers" quality people talk about is true, and as hard to explain as they say. Like withe Primetone, I have no worry about slippage. What's more, I find the BC to be more comfortable. Feel terribly nit-picky typing this, but I've come to enjoy a pick that stays in place without any noticeable texture. It's just more comfortable to hold, somehow. It feels less plasticy than the Primetone.

Feel on the Strings:
Primetone - The Primetone strikes well and gets good volume out of my strings, and its beveled edge keeps things moving so that the contact doesn't get in the way of playing faster tunes.
CT55 - The BC also has all of these attributes, but even better. Comparing the two I find that I can feel the coil-ridges on the G & D strings more with the Primetone, if that makes sense. The BC just glides through the strings better.

Volume
Primetone vs CT55 - As I tested the two I realized that this is really difficult to gauge because bias, in this instance in particular, could really skew my results. Am I striking harder because I expect one to be better? Am I striking harder because I'm going for the underdog? I almost hesitate to give a result, but I did find the BC to strike with both more volume and a warmer tone on my Collings MTO, and I would be interested to learn what others think, who have compared the two.

In the end, the Primetone is a great pick. The CT55 is better.

Now is this worth the difference in price? That's up to the buyer. But for the cost of eating out for an evening for a pick that will last years and years, I thought it was worth a try, and I'm glad that I did.

Thanks again for all the advice I was given on this thread, and happy Picking!

pops1
Mar-12-2016, 9:09am
I have been using BC picks for years but recently have gone to the Wengen 140. I have had a hard time using anything other than the BC because of it's glide across the strings, but the Wengen also has that. The BC is darker so if you have a brighter mandolin it is the way to go. I wanted to get a little more highs out of my G string and the Wengen has done that for me. Do I still like the BC, of course and if I get a mandolin that is brighter I will continue the use them. I started with a 60 and ended up with a 35, but still too dark for my mandolin and ears. I have other ultex picks that I like the sound of, but not the drag so haven't tried the primetone, but thought of it.