PDA

View Full Version : my emando bridge

thistle3585
May-03-2005, 12:47pm
Well, I finally got my bridges back from the platers. They screwed them up three times before finally getting them done. Here are pictures of them. Dimensions are 2"W x 1.75"D x 7/16"T. String spacing is 1.40".

thistle3585
May-03-2005, 12:56pm
Here is another angle. The saddles are nickel plated, but for some reason appear brass in the photo.

Mastersound
May-03-2005, 6:16pm
Very nice mate! Well done.

Trip
May-04-2005, 9:52am
Are you going to be selling those or is it for personal use.....is it your design or were you just getting one refinished......looks great

thistle3585
May-04-2005, 10:10am
Yes, I would offer them for sale. I also made some 5 string units. The plating company screwed up a handful of them, but I'm happy with how they turned out.

mad dawg
May-04-2005, 10:57am
Yes, I would offer them for sale. #I also made some 5 string units. #The plating company screwed up a handful of them, but I'm happy with how they turned out.
I might be intrested, but could you score the saddles for two strings each instead of two so your four string bridge could support an 8 string configuration? (or might an 8 string conversion be more complicated?)

thistle3585
May-04-2005, 11:11am
I think that there would be a way to make them into an 8 string. Honestly, I'm not sure if I should be discussing "business" on the message board, so if I'm out of line someone please let me know. If you want to discuss it in depth email me at andrew@auinc.com.
My new project, since these are done, is a Tunematic style bridge and that could go with 4,5, or 8 string.

WireBoy
May-04-2005, 12:18pm
I think the way it goes here is you can discuss all your design and building tribulations here on the message boards. #But when it comes time for business, that's when you reference another contact method (ie phone, email, www site, snail mail or an ad in the classifieds here on the cafe) you seem to have chosen the correct method for business with a email contact.#good luck.

delsbrother
May-04-2005, 1:46pm
Would the tunematic style bridge have 8 independently adjustable saddles?

thistle3585
May-04-2005, 2:05pm
No it would have 4 saddles, so you would adjust each pair of strings. I have a mock up of the bridge, but am trying to come up with a tailpiece. Maybe a trapeze or Monteleone style tailpiece, but not too large that it overshadows the instrument.

WJF
May-04-2005, 9:12pm
Forgive a dumb question but ... would these retrofit easily onto a mandobird? They look nicely made!

thistle3585
May-05-2005, 10:21pm
WJF, they are two different bridge designs. The mandobird is a string through design. There isn't any reason that one of mine wouldn't fit, but the screw holes wont match up, so you would need to drill new ones.

Mastersound
May-08-2005, 11:22pm
Hi

I'm making an 8 string left-handed Strat style emando for a mate. I've set a tiny little pin into each saddle and drilled holes through the back for the strings. Hard to visualise but once it's done I'll post a couple of pics. The main issue is setting intonation, but the break angle over the bridge would be the same for each pair of strings, and the break angle over the nut would be very close (a degree or three difference).

I actually don't have much faith that it'll work but he's dead set that he wants an 8 stringer. He plays in several celtic bands and is reasonably well known in the southern Aussie folk scene so if it works and he likes it the orders might roll in! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Ideally each string should be adjustable for intonation. If you look on StewMac's website and search for item 3039 you'll see a 12 string bridge that could be adapted for an emando. It has a 4 "main" saddles, with an extra "side-saddle" for the second string of each pair. You'll also see why it's cheaper to modify theirs than it is to make your own (right Andrew?).

I still say it's easier and more functional to play a 4 string emando through a chorus pedal!

thistle3585
May-09-2005, 11:47am
You might try a saddle like these. You can run a pair of strings through one hole then split them on either side of the saddles screw. My only concern would be the effect of the string resting on the saddle screw. You can also get blank saddles so that you can set the string pair spacing. I was going to try and make a couple eight strings and am just waiting for the material to come in. I was going to drill holes for each string. By the way guys, Mastersound had some nice bridges on ebay.

mandroid
May-09-2005, 6:48pm
I have adopted the technique with a thru body 8 string fender to use loop strings and one ball for both.
2 balls fit in the ferrule, but you have to loosen both to take one out as its jammed in by the unbroken one of the pair.

a base plate drilled for the piezo wire in bridge bits like RMC would be an option I'd vote for.
Singled and doubled types are available. Gibby tuneO , Strat, and Wilkinson as on Brian Moore electric mandos.