PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for Christmas?

Scot63
Dec-28-2015, 10:09am
Did anybody else score like I did? This is a 1907 Gibson A, procured from mandolin cafe member Eddie Sheehy, thanks to my indulgent wife. It arrived well set up, slightly cleaned up, and as if from a time capsule. Has a beautiful, light tone (due to more arching) perhaps more similar to some bowlbacks than later Gibson A's. Serial number is 6894, which perhaps you can make out. Here's to a happy mandolin new year, and thanks Eddie!142148142149142150

multidon
Dec-28-2015, 10:12am
Suh-weeeeeet!

tkdboyd
Dec-28-2015, 10:42am
That is nice. Didn't score that big, but I certainly have no complaints. I have been playing more ragtime lately at a local jam and asked my wife for a banjo mandolin...she bought me a Trinity Octave from the good folks at The Mandolin Store instead. I think that was a pretty strong statement against banjos!

JeffD
Dec-28-2015, 11:03am
Most of this year's Christmas indulged my other passion, (no not fishing, my other, other passion), reading. Lots of books.

But one of the best Christmas gifts I have received was a Vintage Washburn bowlback mandolin. That gift was a sneaky behind my back collaboration between a friend and the shop owner, resulting from inviting friends to brows music stores with me.

Scot63
Dec-28-2015, 11:15am
Sounds great, Jeff. Post a pic if you get a chance! Is it like my ca. 1885 L&H bowlback?142151

JeffD
Dec-28-2015, 11:37am
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=10&attachmentid=50740

Jill McAuley
Dec-28-2015, 1:06pm
Gift to myself - 1927 Gibson Ajr, haven't had a mandolin for about a year so pretty excited about it.

billhay4
Dec-28-2015, 2:48pm
I got a cigar box mandolin. It's smokin'.
Bill

tkdboyd
Dec-28-2015, 4:42pm
I got myself a BRW 3-pt oval-hole.

Supper sweet!

mandroid
Dec-28-2015, 4:47pm
Food, drinks, and social times with friends .. For my Birthday I got some Antiviral Pills when I caught the Flu.

Tobin
Dec-28-2015, 5:33pm
My wife and I don't really do Christmas presents. Our wedding anniversary is on the 27th, so we do gifts there instead. This was our 18-year anniversary, and she got me a lovely old French pocket watch from the late 1800s.

I did treat myself to two instrument acquisitions in the holiday season, though. Another fiddle and banjo. I got to spend some quality time with them while I was off of work during the holidays. :)

9lbShellhamer
Dec-28-2015, 7:01pm
I treated myself to this Northfield NF-F5S to accompany my Collings MT2. I am very impressed by it so far! I didn't buy it to compete with the Collings...mostly just for a nice travel mandolin, however, I played it extensively with the band on Saturday and it was hot! Cut very well, great volume, very responsive up high on the fretboard and strong tone.

John Hill
Dec-28-2015, 7:45pm
I got myself a BRW 3-pt oval-hole.

I had one of those...yours looks like the same one...that G string is a beast!

Randi Gormley
Dec-29-2015, 11:21am
I got a four-day mandolin orchestra workshop in april. I usually go to the Carlo Aonzo Mandolin Workshop in Manhattan anyway, but I got my husband to pick up the tab as a gift. Four days of baroque madness, heavy on the Bach, and a touch of modern mandolin music. I'm still smiling.

boatman
Dec-29-2015, 5:31pm
I got an entire truckload of #1 steam coal. Lucky me

John O'Brien
Dec-29-2015, 8:13pm
For Christmas... I got a little feeling back! Whilst helping my kids prepare costumes for Halloween, I damn near sheared the top of my left index finger off with a camping knife. The laceration was from the last knuckle up to the nail, and bone deep. I wasn't able to play for weeks while it healed, and it's just now that I have any sensation in my finger tip. There is still a strip of flesh that is somewhere between numb and tingly, but it's improving. My playing progress has been hampered quite a bit, and hope to make it up in the new year!

Jim Garber
Dec-29-2015, 9:32pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=10&attachmentid=50740

Looks to me to be style 215. Here is a catalog page from around 1912. Main difference is the fretboard inlays tho often catalog pics are not 100% accurate.

catmandu2
Dec-29-2015, 11:10pm
Family, friends, children, relaxation, lots of jazz music, and zydeco, accordion playing, some wine, re-acquaintance with D/G box, and boisterous plectrum banjos, wind ensemble with my kids, dance, good food, the privilege of comfort and peace, rock 'n roll, lots of snow...dark chocolate, socks, and a good pair of shoes..

Instrument wise...PM me if you have one of these for cheap ;) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2KD4MLAunE

Mike Arakelian
Dec-31-2015, 3:05pm
I treated myself to this nice 1991 Flatiron Performer A142271 in great condition. It plays and sounds great, and goes nicely with my Jacobson Nautilus Black Tie.

JH Murray
Dec-31-2015, 6:39pm
My sons gave me Victor Wooten's novel "The Music Lesson" which is his way of talking about the spirituality of music. Very inspiring.

colorado_al
Dec-31-2015, 10:37pm

That must've been a mighty large stocking if it could hold a truckload of coal!

zedmando
Jan-01-2016, 3:51pm
Music related I got a giftcard for a music store--I also got some cash that will probably go to something musical.
And I got a cigarbox type guitar. (I posted that in another thread here.) (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?120775-Unexpected-NGD-(But-probably-not-what-you-think))

journeybear
Jan-01-2016, 6:30pm
Gift to myself - 1927 Gibson Ajr, haven't had a mandolin for about a year so pretty excited about it.

Whaaat? :disbelief: You've been mandolinless that long? :crying: How did that happen? :confused: Well, maybe it's best to just leave that in the past and be glad and grateful for the present. :mandosmiley:

Humph! That is nothing to complain about - being enough to heat your home for a long time (if you have a coal furnace, of course). Getting just the one lump would have been a drag.

Me, I didn't even get my usual half a lump. :( All I got for Christmas was two cards - from parents - and my heart broken. My worst Christmas ever. :crying: Seriously. However, I just had my best New Year's Eve in years, perhaps ever, meeting this lovely lady who is every bit as taken with me as I am with her. We became instant friends, just really clicked.

GKWilson
Jan-01-2016, 11:25pm
Jill. A mandolin for you is a gift to us all.
I hope a video will follow.

This was the first Christmas in a long time that I didn't get myself a mandolin.
But, today is the first day of my retirement and I already see wolves surrounding the house.
So, I'll probably be breaking up the herd very soon. Keep an eye on the classifieds
for some great instruments.
Gary

Jill McAuley
Jan-02-2016, 3:43am
Jill. A mandolin for you is a gift to us all.
I hope a video will follow.

This was the first Christmas in a long time that I didn't get myself a mandolin.
But, today is the first day of my retirement and I already see wolves surrounding the house.
So, I'll probably be breaking up the herd very soon. Keep an eye on the classifieds
for some great instruments.
Gary

Hi Gary,
The Ajr arrives on Wednesday - I can't wait!!! There will most definitely be videos to follow! Congratulations on your retirement!

Cheers,
Jill

pheffernan
Jan-10-2016, 8:58am
But, today is the first day of my retirement and I already see wolves surrounding the house. So, I'll probably be breaking up the herd very soon. Keep an eye on the classifieds for some great instruments.

Hey Gary, give the wolves in the Mike Black social group first crack at the herd, won't you? :grin:

F-2 Dave
Jan-10-2016, 11:28am
Boots.