PDA

View Full Version : Triggs or Colllings

crazy legs
Dec-27-2015, 10:45am
I'm looking to buy a better quality American made mando in the $1500 price range. There are two that I have looked at, both are used entry level A models. One is a Triggs and the other is a Collings MT. The Triggs is in beautiful shape and has a very nice setup. The Collings is at a pawn shop and I can't tell much about the tone because the strings are about the worst I've ever seen. It has some cosmetic surface scratches also. Which would be the better value?

almeriastrings
Dec-27-2015, 10:58am
I would not really describe either of these as "entry level". The Collings MT has a great reputation, and Jim Triggs is a first class builder with an impressive track record. I have one of his F-models myself. AFAIK, the A-styles start at around $3K - which is well outside "entry level" class. They are going to sound VERY different. Triggs mandolins tend towards the very dry, mid-rangy "Loar" tonal spectrum while Collings are typically "warmer" with more overtones.... neither is better or worse. It depends what you're looking for. Either would be a pretty spectacular deal at $1,500, especially the Triggs. For example...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/93522#93522

Northwest Steve
Dec-27-2015, 11:00am
Strings are cheap, go back to the pawn shop and see if the will let you change strings. Then see if one speaks to you. I am on the fence with Collings, there are many I don't really like the sound of but there are some that are great. All things being equal I would prefer a mandolin that came from a one man shop.

lenf12
Dec-27-2015, 11:13am
I too would go with the Triggs as it's one of only a few A styles from this very well respected builder (and his son). At ~$1500 you would not lose any money should you decide to move it on. Collings MTs are nice but there are 1000s of them out there (although not quite a dime a dozen).

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

crazy legs
Dec-27-2015, 12:24pm
I appreciate the feedback. To further complicate the decision, there is an early 80's Flatiron Performer F for sale in that price range. It has the integrated fingerboard though. The Triggs is a beauty and the action is wonderful. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5367172430.html

darylcrisp
Dec-27-2015, 3:49pm
as mentioned already, I would buy a set of strings and take to the pawn shop and see if they would let you change them out. Collings are solid mandolins and the base MT is a pro level instrument. and when you find one that is really good, its simply a killer mandolin.

I just took a base level Collings in on a trade with expectations to sell it. its an amazing mandolin and I'm having serious second thoughts on selling it.

good luck and let us know what you end up with
d

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-28-2015, 2:54am
I don't know if this is a basic Collings MT or not,but this is how one can sound in the hands of a great player,
Ivan;)

https://youtu.be/uDammichC50

Mandobar
Dec-28-2015, 3:39am
That's an mt2v

DataNick
Dec-28-2015, 9:03am
That's an mt2v

+1:Yup, Adam's is not "basic"...really nice mandolin though; he let me pick it at Summergrass this past August.

Mandobar
Dec-28-2015, 9:17am
I remember there were two of these built and he picked the one he liked. The other was around $5600 out the door at Acoustic Music Works (where Collings sent the twin). They both had a really nice speedneck (done at Collings).

Steve Ostrander
Dec-28-2015, 9:31am
I've never played a Triggs or a Flatiron. I've played a lot of Collings and never heard a bad one. The MT retails at about $2500 new, which makes the Triggs a better value, I suppose, although without playing them both, it's hard to make a judgment call. My guess is that the MT with a new set of strings is going to sound really good, if the setup is good. Too close to call without having them all in one place so you can A/B/C test.

I do agree that these are mid-level instruments and not entry level.

pheffernan
Dec-28-2015, 12:32pm
I'm looking to buy a better quality American made mando in the $1500 price range. There are two that I have looked at, both are used entry level A models. One is a Triggs and the other is a Collings MT. The Triggs is in beautiful shape and has a very nice setup. The Collings is at a pawn shop and I can't tell much about the tone because the strings are about the worst I've ever seen. It has some cosmetic surface scratches also. Which would be the better value?

I don't really see much of a debate in terms of value. The Triggs costs more to start and has every sign of being subsequently maintained. The Collings started off cheaper and shows evidence of abandonment, neglect, and abuse. Now it might not be the better instrument (I haven't played them), and it might not fit your purposes as well (only you can answer that question), but in terms of value, the Triggs to me is a pretty clear answer.

lenf12
Dec-29-2015, 6:10pm
Judging by your inventory above, maybe you should offer to take the Triggs A off his hands. What do ya say, pheffernan? It boils down to the better value and the Triggs has that in spades!!

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

pheffernan
Dec-29-2015, 6:44pm
I didn't say that it boils down to the better value, Len. That's the way the initial question was phrased. If the OP is a grasser looking for the better fit for his music, I'd recommend the Triggs. Were I considering a distance purchase likely to suit my left hand, I'd pick the Collings. But then, judging by my inventory above, I need another A5 like I need a hole in the head. :))

DataNick
Dec-29-2015, 6:55pm
I didn't say that it boils down to the better value, Len. That's the way the initial question was phrased. If the OP is a grasser looking for the better fit for his music, I'd recommend the Triggs. Were I considering a distance purchase likely to suit my left hand, I'd pick the Collings. But then, judging by my inventory above, I need another A5 like I need a hole in the head. :))

Pat,

If could count the Snakehead you've got EIGHT A5 mandolins!

You can't pick out 2 or 3 that are not essential and combine those for an F5?

Be forewarned though, "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will" ...LOL!

pheffernan
Dec-29-2015, 8:54pm
Pat, If could count the Snakehead you've got EIGHT A5 mandolins!

Let's not get silly, Nick. I have a much more reasonable SIX A5's in my stable. Currently. :grin:

You can't pick out 2 or 3 that are not essential and combine those for an F5?

I have considered that possibility. You pick the 2 or 3 A5's that are not essential. I'll PM you the 1 or 2 F5's that interest me. ;)

Be forewarned though, "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will" ...LOL!

As you know, fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate needs to suffering. I fear that an F5 is no better than an A5. :))

lenf12
Dec-31-2015, 6:20pm
I guess 6 A-5s are a "reasonable" number to choose among in your stable. I'd like to read/hear a review comparison of some of them. They're all top notch builders represented certainly but that Triggs is still pretty tempting at ~$1500.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

pheffernan
Dec-31-2015, 6:37pm
I guess 6 A-5s are a "reasonable" number to choose among in your stable. I'd like to read/hear a review comparison of some of them. They're all top notch builders represented certainly but that Triggs is still pretty tempting at ~$1500.

Feel free to PM me for any reviews you'd like, Len. It probably says something about me that I do have my eye on a certain instrument built by Jim Triggs . . . just not the one referenced by the OP. ;)

crazy legs
Mar-06-2016, 12:32pm
Just an update. I ended up buying the Flatiron F and absolutely love it! I appreciate all of
the feedback.