PDA

View Full Version : Hand Powder

J. Mark Lane
May-03-2005, 8:19am
I found that my fingers were feeling "sticky" on the strings, so I put some baby powder on them. Wow. I can move all over the place easily....

Seems to me there might be some negative effects of this, like gucking up the fretboard or causing early death of strings. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Also, are there powders that would be better to use? For example, it occurs to me that pool players use powder on their hands ("chalk") -- what kind is that?

Thanks,

Mark

Scotti Adams
May-03-2005, 8:35am
..yes..it will gob up your strings eventually...esp. the wound ones...why not use something like Fast Fret or Finger Ease..they have far less negetive effects...if any..than any kind of powder.

John Flynn
May-03-2005, 9:05am
I have a counterpoint to this. First, most manufacturers who have formal recommendations recommmend against using any kind of liquids on the fretboard, except that some will say a little lemon oil once a year is OK. I gotta give that some creditbility. Second, I have tried all those liquids and I don't think they work that well. They are good when you first put them on, but they fade fast and have to be re-applied. Third, the real problem for me is not the fretboard anyway, but the back of the neck and those products aren't even made for that problem. Finally, my favorite fiddler, Billy Mathews from the Ozarks, says that cornstarch is his secret weapon when playing in the Summer. He will also use baby powder when he can't find cornstarch.

Pete Counter
May-10-2005, 8:26pm
I have a video by ray flack (telecaster player) who got addicted to using baby powder for problem on telecaster. The neck was a mess, fingerboard and back of the neck alike. He could literally flake the stuff off with his fingernails. I dont cornstarch or any other powder will be much different.Mix powder with sweat and you get some kind of paste.....All over your neck and fretboard. Ive been using fast fret for over 25 years without any noticable affects. JMO

ShaneJ
May-10-2005, 8:46pm
I sanded the finish of the neck and use Fast Fret (sometimes). It works as good as anything for me.

TonyP
May-11-2005, 1:36am
I agree that baby powder/cornstarch is just going to make a mess. My problem cured itself when I went to EXP74's. I don't know what they coat the strings with but besides lasting a long time they aren't sticky anymore. I do keep a handkerchief in my pocket and wipe the neck/strings when ever I'm stickin'. That didn't help with the strings as much before I went to the coated strings. YMMV of course.

mandroid
May-11-2005, 2:45am
Washing my hands helps a lot, bring the pick too, degreasing it with soap and water is a big plus, dawg picks are too big to fall down the drain, aren't they?

tree
May-11-2005, 10:04am
For me, this is a problem only when my hands get sweaty.

I had a luthier lightly sand the old finish and then french polish the neck of my F-5G; that has considerably reduced the problem for me. #Don't know whether he used shellac or satin poly (I've heard of both for that purpose) but whatever it is, my body chemistry doesn't react to it like it did the original lacquer.

I do occasionally use powder in the palm and between the thumb and forefinger area. It's a temporary fix, but usually gets me through until the next break when I can wash my hands and wipe down the neck real good with a soft clean rag. #I like the idea of cornstarch, though. #I'll have to give that a try when I need a refill.

sunburst
May-11-2005, 10:27am
I have sticky fingers in the summer. I used to use corn starch, but it does make a mess. I use Fast fret or an almond stick now. I rub it on the strings, the back of the neck, and all over my left hand.

As a builder and repairer, I've never seen any ill effects from fast fret. I don't like lemon oil. That's actually mineral oil with lemon fragrance added. It soaks into the fingerboard over time.
Better, in my opinion, are the essential oils. Those that will evaporate. I think that's what is in fast fret.