PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin i.d., please

Cookie Guitar
Dec-14-2015, 6:47pm
I’m a rank newcomer to the forum who would like to consult the collective wisdom regarding the mandolin pictured below. A friend purchased it in Canada. Imprinted on the top are the words “La Segura” (or “Pegura,” or “Legura,” or “Tegura,” or ???), in script, and in block (as with an instrument discussed here some time ago) the phrase “guaranteed not to split.” (A guitar forum suggests that this was common on stringed instruments in the 1920s or so.) It has a fair amount of wear, but the frets are in pretty good shape. Spanish, maybe Italian? I’d be grateful for as much information as you might muster. Thanks, and happy holidays.

mrmando
Dec-14-2015, 7:18pm
Sicilian, specifically Catanian?

My marginally informed experience tells me that a mandolin with anything imprinted on the top is most likely to be from Catania. This also has the sort of hybrid, anything-goes look common among Catanian instruments.

allenhopkins
Dec-14-2015, 8:16pm
Well, if you're right about the "Segura," classical guitars made in Spain and labeled "Manuel Segura" were sold in England 50 or so years ago, according to a couple guitar websites. That could connect to the English lettering on the top, and of course there's a strong UK-Canada connection.

Searching on the "guaranteed not to split" phrase turned up guitars made in Germany and in South Africa; this could have been a stamp put on by the distributor, since the common characteristic of these guitars is that they were sold in England.

Cookie Guitar
Dec-15-2015, 8:32am
Thank you for this. Great basis for looking into this further.

Cookie Guitar
Dec-15-2015, 8:33am
This is great, thank you. Intelligent, useful. If I discover anything more, I will advise. Best...