PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolin Mazurka

DavidKOS
Dec-13-2015, 9:42am
https://soundcloud.com/david-m-brown-2/mazurka-fresca-mix-5-best

I wrote and recorded this mazurka, in the Italian style.

The recording is recent, but the tune is a number of years old and was written for the "Opera Fresca" "That's Amore" Italian shows we used to do.

Recorded with a Sakis bowlback mandolin.

DavidKOS
Dec-13-2015, 5:18pm
http://thedepression.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/lead-balloon.jpg

DavidKOS
Dec-14-2015, 7:06am
I don't get it.

159 views and no one would even say if they DIDN'T like it or what to improve it?

bernabe
Dec-14-2015, 8:11am
I don't get it.

159 views and no one would even say if they DIDN'T like it or what to improve it? Just listened and think its great. Although I am Italian, not the kind of thing I listen to regularly, but recognize a nice piece when I hear it. As far as why some things get responses above and beyond its merits and vice-versa, its a public forum..there's a "follow the herd" mentality like everything else. ;)

EdHanrahan
Dec-14-2015, 8:24am
I'd guess that, like me, most enjoyed it but don't feel qualified to comment on what makes a mazurka good or, you know, the other kind of mazurka.

DougC
Dec-14-2015, 10:50am
I like the arpeggio progression in the first phrase. That seems to be the spark that created the tune. The rest seems like really classic Italian style mandolin music. Good Italian music; something you could listen to all day. I'd bring up the second mandolin harmony in the mix. And it certainly would sound great with a mandolin orchestra. The computer sound is distracting.

DavidKOS
Dec-14-2015, 10:56am
I like the arpeggio progression in the first phrase. That seems to be the spark that created the tune. The rest seems like really classic Italian style mandolin music. Good Italian music; something you could listen to all day. I'd bring up the second mandolin harmony in the mix. And it certainly would sound great with a mandolin orchestra. The computer sound is distracting.

I've been thinking about arranging it for mandolin orchestra. Thanks.

WW52
Dec-14-2015, 2:31pm
I think it's really nice and would also like to hear it in a mandolin orchestral setting.

Hany Hayek
Dec-14-2015, 2:35pm
I was the first one to say thanks for the post :)

DavidKOS
Dec-14-2015, 5:05pm
I was the first one to say thanks for the post :)

And much appreciated BTW!

tmsweeney
Dec-15-2015, 1:37pm
I like it, has a kind of Vivaldi feel to it. I agree a mandolin orchestra setting would be cool, or perhaps a version with just a few instruments accompanying, guitar, cello, bass, mandola etc

lmartnla
Jan-11-2016, 12:48pm
I don't get it.

159 views and no one would even say if they DIDN'T like it or what to improve it?

I heard it when viewing your recent response on Sobell mandolins. I don't feel qualified to criticize it, but why would i when I enjoyed it? I found this cafe query of yours when I searched on the title to see if tablature was available, which I think proves my appreciation
---Lou Martin

DavidKOS
Jan-11-2016, 3:43pm
I heard it when viewing your recent response on Sobell mandolins. I don't feel qualified to criticize it, but why would i when I enjoyed it? I found this cafe query of yours when I searched on the title to see if tablature was available, which I think proves my appreciation
---Lou Martin

Hey Covington! I'm from New Orleans!

I have a pdf of the tune with TAB for you, thanks for liking it.

the black thing is the pdf

Jess L.
Jan-12-2016, 1:08am
I don't get it.

Today's the first time I saw this thread. :redface: I don't check internet every day. Here I usually rely on the "Today's Posts" feature, which means I probably miss a lot of important/useful posts. Some of those 159 views were likely automated webcrawlers (Google and a myriad of other search engines) looking for updated info. Also I see that the original post was early on a Sunday morning, which would explain why I didn't see the original (sometimes might be a coupla days before I get back to internet stuff after the weekend), but dunno how I missed the subsequent posts. Anyway...

The music is wonderful, :mandosmiley: I love it!

By the way, I'm enjoying SoundCloud's autoplay feature which automatically advances to your next tune, as I'm typing this I got to hear another of your exceptionally nice tunes:
Ouzo Or Raki (https://soundcloud.com/david-m-brown-2/ouzo-or-raki) :mandosmiley:
Great! :mandosmiley: I could trip out on that style of music for hours, great stuff! :mandosmiley: :) Really really nice. I wish I knew enough about that style to play some of it myself. It sure is enjoyable to listen to. :)

I have a pdf of the tune with TAB for you, thanks for liking it.

the black thing is the pdf

Thanks for the notation for the mazurka! I'm going to add it to my list of tunes to learn. :)

Hany Hayek
Jan-12-2016, 3:15am
Thank you so much David for sharing the score. It is a beautiful tune.