PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a Mandobird

delsbrother
Mar-03-2004, 4:14pm
OK, I already know it's "not worth doing" but..

Even the new colored ones aren't in the color I want! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

What do I have to do? Do I strip/sand, scuff-sand and overspray it, Krylon it, what?

I sort of want it to look OK, but if it doesn't, no big deal. What I don't want is for it to flake off, craze, crack, etc.

What's the deal with these poly/epoxy finishes?

crawdad
Mar-04-2004, 12:35am
If you just want it to be a different color, I would not bother to strip the existing finish. I think what I would do is to sand the existing finish with 240, 320, 400 to provide a surface where new paint could be applied and stick. Then, I would use a couple of coats of sealer to act as a barrier between the old finish and whatever you are putting on. Some paints don't like each other, for instance lacquer and enamel. Are you sure its a poly finish? I don't know how poly reacts with solvents in paint, but I suspect its fairly inert. Somebody who has more experience will have to chime in on that. If the final finish is not all that critical, you could get some automotive lacquer in a spray can in the color you want, do a few coats, sand out the orange peel, add a few more coats--lightly sand and rub it out. Thats about as much as I know.

delsbrother
Mar-04-2004, 12:52am
Thanks.. Don't know if it's poly. I'm just assuming because mine came from China.. Maybe a call into Epi might be in order, eh?

Mike Handley
Mar-04-2004, 9:06am
I would assume it's poly. Check out www.reranch.com and read the section called Reranch 101, it will answer your question. They also have a forum like this for questions and answers.