PDA

View Full Version : Video comparing Mandobird and Fender Mandocaster

Darren Bailey
Dec-02-2015, 1:40pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGCrr5N9XpI

The D string on the Mandobird gets tuned and then I hit the effexts boxes and have a jam to show what they can do (in my hands). Hope it's useful.

mandolinitis
Dec-03-2015, 5:59pm
I have both of those models too. I enjoy the Mandobird 8 more than the MandoStrat 4 for electrified bluegrass but the MStrat sure lets me rock out when I get the urge. Both work great with headphone amps for playing while the house sleeps. Thanks, Darren, for taking the time and highlighting these 2 electrics.

Isaac Revard
Dec-03-2015, 9:53pm
Awesome Darren, thanks for sharing this. I'm in the process of looking for an emando myself!

Thumbler
Dec-04-2015, 2:37am
DB - nice demo with the finisher's bravo. You give the nod to the mandocaster over the mandobird8 for it's cleaner sound and easier tuning. I can see that, but I wonder how the mandocaster would do vs. the mandobird4? (or the Eastwood Mandostang which I haven't heard).
The 8 string mandobird did sound pretty sweet when you had the Dead shirt on. I liked your sustain remark: you can get a bite to eat and still hear that one...

Darren Bailey
Dec-08-2015, 4:26pm
thanks gents, glad someone enjoyed it. I must admit that when I'm noodling alone in my room the Fender is the one I reach for these days. And Thumbler - well done for spotting the "bite to eat" comment but more for making it to the "bravo" - i didn't think anyone would actually make it that far.
The clip with the Mandobird when i'm wearing the Dead shirt has it played through a Zoom 505 effects box and I msut admit it makes a great sound. That's the secret with electrics (I think) - get the signal travelling through soemthing beefy - even a distortion pedal will do it.

zedmando
Dec-14-2015, 12:06pm
I don't have time to watch the whole thing now--but I will come back to it.

As a Mandobird VII owner--I was interested to see what you did with it.

I really enjoy my Mandobird--as the double course sound is what attracted me to mandolin I wanted an 8 string--but I do get he appeal of a 4 string.