PDA

View Full Version : Weymann Mandolute (mandolin) found this weekend

Mandolin Mule
Nov-30-2015, 11:09am
Hi, I don't play much mandolin anymore, but used to enjoy reading this forum. This weekend I went to an estate sale and found this Weymann No. 15 in the case. The owner also had 2 good looking violins, and a lot of antiques from generations ago. I didn't recognize the make, but thought it may have been made by Vega, which I like (I have one of their guitars). I could tell it was a quality 1910s or 20s, US made one, and it looked very fresh and straight. Got it for very cheap, and took it to the local folk instrument store for some strings. They guy told me they were very good mando's, and offered to buy it for a lot more than I paid. I'll keep it and play it a while, it has a good action, and a rich tone. Thought you'd like to see their bare-bones model. Serial 25,77x, I believe it's from 1917. Cleaned up nicely.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/729/23289146552_8f352e47af_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/709/23397606405_e4f8052ff8_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5654/23315037611_18901ba839_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/675/22769229374_669afba5f2_c.jpg

More pics here (https://www.flickr.com/photos/garrettsphotos/albums/72157659472701544).

JeffD
Nov-30-2015, 12:18pm
Wow that is a beautiful find.

Mandolin Mule
Nov-30-2015, 12:32pm
Thanks! Here is how a few notes sound, again, I'm just a hack. But I did a quick A-B comparison with my Eastman, and this old Weymann seems to sound fuller and deeper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWH4RNkia8

MikeEdgerton
Nov-30-2015, 12:53pm
I must go to the wrong estate sales. Nice catch.

Capt. E
Nov-30-2015, 2:16pm
These were not made by Vega. Weymann was their own company, making instruments in their own design using violin making techniques. They are equal in quality to Martin. Most I have seen have a somewhat bowed neck. If yours is nice and straight, then you found a good one. They made several styles A, B, C based on the level of decoration, engraving, inlay etc. Here's a link to more information. http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2011/03/c1915-weymann-mandolute-mandola.html

Mandolin Mule
Nov-30-2015, 2:18pm
Yeah, I figured out they were not affiliated, once I got back to the internet. Thanks for the link.

I do need a tailpiece cover, if anyone can sell me one. I'm told it's a piece of hardware common to several makes.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-30-2015, 3:54pm
Weymann also outsourced a whole lot of their mandolins. I'm not saying this one is one of them. You can't just assume that if it has Weymann label on it that they made it.

You're looking for a Waverly Cloud Tailpiece. They were used on mandolins by most of the major mandolin builders including Gibson, Martin, Kay, Harmony, and pretty much everyone else. Look for the full tailpiece as the covers and bases changed in size ever so slightly over the years. The best source is eBay. You can usually grab a Kay or Harmony, get the tailpiece, replace it with another and sell the mandolin again on eBay with the new tailpiece.

Mandolin Mule
Nov-30-2015, 4:01pm
It seems to have most of the hallmarks of a Weymann, that match all the others that I found on the Internet. The headstock shape, rosewood covering, tuners, frets, fretboard....basically going from stem to stern it matches all the others people are calling a Weymann. The decal on the back of the head says "Manufactured by Weymann Brothers" not "Manf'g FOR..."

It's marked with their serial number, and the model number that matches their catalogs.

That and the fact it has their label inside the sound hole, with their patent, I'm taking it to be what it seems to be. I don't think Weymann could put their patent number for the design on someone else's mandolin.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/716/22770428673_7446c7bb50_b.jpg

mandobassman
Nov-30-2015, 4:18pm
That is in amazing condition. The Weymann mandolute is one of the mandolins I have always wanted. I have a early 1900's bowlback, and it's nice, but the flatback model is the one I've always wanted. You sure got a nice one. Enjoy!!!

MikeEdgerton
Nov-30-2015, 4:30pm
I'm not saying it wasn't built by Weymann. They put the label on the back of the headstock on a whole lot of instruments they didn't make. When this was built they were building.

These (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?76023-Weymann-Information) were built when they weren't building.

darrylicshon
Nov-30-2015, 4:31pm
Great find , i haven't found anything worth it in a estate sell in along time, ENJOY IT

Mandolin Mule
Nov-30-2015, 5:00pm
I see this post had a 1913 Weyman ad, showing the mandolin and patent number. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?100896-Question-about-Weymann-Mandolute-bridge

brunello97
Nov-30-2015, 7:51pm
Well, Mike has a point with a general go-slow approach to Weymann labels and their manufacture. I was once able to track down a Philadelphia street address to a still extant building that could have been a production facility. But there are similarities between some Weymann models and those made up the NJ Turnpike at Oscar Schmidt's, some bearing the Schmidt "Stella" label. On bowl backs as well as on some of the mandolute shaped instruments. Weymann could have been making for Schmidt, but vice versa seems likely given the scope of the OS works.

Lots of instruments were made and marketed and labeled in different locations. I have always assumed the mandolutes were actually Weymann made--and I've yet to find a smoking gun of contradictory evidence, though I am learning something new all the time here. Somebody (Mike or Jim?) needs to write the definitive book on the MidAtlanticCoastalRim instrument builders as has been done for Washburn and Regal. Would be a killer book.

In any event, this one seems in great shape. The problem I've often seen is a top crack on the bass side along the edge of the fretboard. I think Jake helped confirm that the neck blocks on these were pretty big and these cracks might have been due to variability in shrinkage between the top and neck block. It shows up on many of the mandolutes I've seen.

To have a modest model mandolute without a crack, with a good neck, a pretty figured back and a nice headstock is a real score. Fair play to you. The ones I have played were very sweet in tone, didn't have the tonal clarity / precision and projection of a Martin, but they were very nice mandolins. Nice neck profile for my big hands, too. I'd be pleased to be able to play yours on regular basis….

You think it sounds "fuller and deeper" than your new Eastman? No surprise there. Let's just keep that a secret, okay ;)

Mick

Jeff Mando
Nov-30-2015, 8:26pm
Congrats! This is a really nice, clean one. They show up on eBay on a regular basis, I think there are 3 or 4 right now, with prices from $350-700 and they seem to linger at those prices. A couple have sold recently in the $100-200 range at actual auction.

allenhopkins
Nov-30-2015, 10:30pm
I owned a very basic Mandolute for a decade -- no "fiddle edges," little binding, and a repaired top crack -- and it was a sweet little instrument. (Went in trade on an Eastman mandola.) Had the same type tuners with metal buttons, and a "cloud" tailpiece. Think I paid $95 for it back in the day; I have an oil painting over my fireplace, that someone did from a slide, of my friend Jim Kimball and me playing at a restoration near here, he on button accordion, I on the Mandolute.

brunello97
Nov-30-2015, 11:40pm
I owned a very basic Mandolute for a decade -- no "fiddle edges," little binding, and a repaired top crack -- and it was a sweet little instrument. (Went in trade on an Eastman mandola.) Had the same type tuners with metal buttons, and a "cloud" tailpiece. Think I paid $95 for it back in the day; I have an oil painting over my fireplace, that someone did from a slide, of my friend Jim Kimball and me playing at a restoration near here, he on button accordion, I on the Mandolute.

Nice! Any chance for a glimpse of said painting, Allen?

Mick

Mandolin Mule
Dec-01-2015, 8:13am
Thanks for all the good comments and information. There are a lot of mandolins out there, I see looking for the first time in about 10 years. Most have stayed in their same low prices, or gone up 10% or so over time. And I see the Gibsons and just a few others have continued to go up in price by leaps and bounds. I collect a lot of antiques, and I've learned that with most categories it is this way. One or two types become cult items, and are chased by 99% of the people in that hobby. Often, they are the most common maker, with thousands made.

I've always done the opposite, enjoyed the sleepers. My belief is that in our transition from the Craftsman to the Industrial age, about 1880 to 1930 was a "sweet spot." Everything manufactured in America then was high, repeatable quality. From pocketwatches to early electric fans, these items were made to last, and I still use many items around the house that are 80 to 120 years old. So while there may have been some very cheap, unknown, bowlback mandolins from 1910, I'd say MOST were actually pretty good. Once you get into the known makers, like Vega, Lyon & Healy, and yes - perhaps Weymann, you are buying something that is 85% as good as a Gibson. Or more. But a lot of these still sell for $500 or less. Does a Gibson F2 or F4 really sound 10 times better? Because they seem to be selling for $5,000 now. I leave that to better players to decide. But again, I've always liked buying items that are "almost" as good as the cult items, for a fraction of the price....my house is full of that kind of early 20th century American quality!

Keep playing!

Dobe
Dec-09-2015, 5:25pm
I had one to rebuild not long ago. He had me inlay some extra eye candy. Pretty nice sounding little box.

Capt. E
Dec-10-2015, 12:11pm
I still wear my grandfather's 1927 Hamilton pocket watch. That's what that little right front pocket on Levis is for. My primary mandolin is a 1920 Gibson A2. I even have a couple of vintage hats from the 20's/30's that I wear occasionally. Wouldn't mind finding another Weymann in good playable condition. Just as with Gibson A's and higher end bowl backs, they can be a bargin.