PDA

View Full Version : A Flatiron Question

Mike Arakelian
Nov-27-2015, 5:50pm
While visiting my son for Thanksgiving, we took a ride over to The House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park. I wound up walking out with a near mint 1991 Flatiron Performer A that was made in Bozeman. According to HMT, it was owned by a collector rather than a player and has only some light pick swirls and very light fret wear. It plays and sounds fantastic. Serial number is 91081290. I paid what I thought was a very fair price. My question is regarding the truss rod...it has no truss rod cover and I'm wondering if there is a rod, and if so, how is it accessed? Were any Flatirons made without a truss rod?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks...Mike

DataNick
Nov-27-2015, 8:40pm
Mike,

I have to admit that I'm stumped on that one...apparently some Flatirons made in Bozeman did not have truss rods.
You might want to examine the heelblock with a mirror and a light, as it is possible to do trussrods adjustments in f-hole instruments via the endpin hole. You might want to search thru these threads as well No Truss Rod Flatiron Performer A (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Truss+Rod+Flatiron+Performer+A+site:mandolinca fe.com)

Mike Arakelian
Nov-27-2015, 8:55pm
Thanks Nick...I'll check that out in better light. It doesn't appear to need any adjustment. But I'm curious about it. I Googled some images of Flatiron mandolins...most have truss rod covers, but some did not. The label clearly says Flatiron Performer, so I'm sure it's not some other model.

fatt-dad
Nov-27-2015, 9:38pm
My '84 did not have an adjustable truss nod. They do have neck reinforcement though! Just not adjustable.

Congratulations! Sweet mandolin. Quirky shop too. Where I grew up. . .

f-d

Mike Arakelian
Nov-27-2015, 9:43pm
Thanks f-d. I love to visit HMT. I'm especially glad I went today!

vince f
Nov-28-2015, 10:34pm
Was that the one with a handful of signatures on the side. I recommended that one to a friend of mine. seems real nice, and a nice price.

On your question, some Flatiron catalogs show the performer series without a truss rod. All Flatirons with truss rod would have a cover on the headstock. Older (pre gibson) had no truss rod. I have an '85 A5-2, no truss rod.

Mike Arakelian
Nov-29-2015, 2:33am
That's the one. The previous owner was a collector rather than a player and it was signed by Adam Steffey, Doyle Lawson, Wayne Benson, Rhonda Vincent, and Ricky Skaggs. All of the signatures are on the top side of the mandolin in the dark stained curly maple, and are not visible from either the front or the back. The mandolin is in excellent + condition with just light pick swirls on the top and light fret wear on the first 3 or 4 frets. It looks great, plays extremely well and sounds fantastic. As you pointed out, it was listed for a very fair price, so it went home with me. I contacted Bruce Weber, and he confirmed that it was built with a carbon reinforced truss rod that was non-adjustable. The notes all ring crystal clear up and down the neck and across the strings...I'm a very happy man!

ccravens
Dec-07-2015, 8:28pm
Love my '84 Flatiron A-Jr. (Carlson signed)!

It has no truss rod but is a great mando that I can't ever see parting with.

Congrats on your find!

Atlanta Mando Mike
Dec-08-2015, 2:23pm
The need for an adjustable truss rod in mandolins is a highly debated topic to say the least... Sounds like a cool mandolin and I wouldn't let the lack of one worry you if you love the mandolin and the neck seems straight with no dead spots. Just my 2 cents.

M