PDA

View Full Version : 1929 stadium mando

Justtheblues54
Nov-25-2015, 2:31pm
Just curious just inherited this mandolin from my grandfather trying to find out the history model maybe what it's worth wouldn't sell it just curious. Flat tops and electrics I know bluegrass style instrument I'm ignorant on any info would be great and info on how to load pictures would be nice141186 141187 141188141189

Justtheblues54
Nov-25-2015, 4:54pm
pictures are uploaded any info?

allenhopkins
Nov-25-2015, 5:06pm
Looks Kay-ish. (https://reverb.com/item/411153-kay-model-k64-mandolin-pro-setup-easy-play-kluson-single-line-tuners-1959-sunburst)

Justtheblues54
Nov-25-2015, 5:18pm
not sure what that means man I know nothing on mandolins? from the research Ive done most were made by strad o lin I have no idea?

MikeEdgerton
Nov-25-2015, 8:47pm
I believe your mandolin was made by Regal in Chicago, circa 1929-30. That brand name was used on different builder's products.

Kay was another builder in Chicago.

Justtheblues54
Nov-26-2015, 7:44am
Thanks was curious seems like a neat piece it's still playable it seems need a little tune up and some clean up and will make a fine one for me to learn on

Justtheblues54
Nov-27-2015, 9:11am
So what was "stadium" and why does it have New York not prying just would like to know the most history

Justtheblues54
Nov-27-2015, 9:13am
And from what I can tell looks like maybe a mahogany sides and maple or ash fretboard ? It's starting to wear and it's a light color wood not sure about top and back ? Like I say I don't know much on mandolins

MikeEdgerton
Nov-27-2015, 9:22am
Stadium was a brand name owned by a distributor that was obviously in New York. There were many distributors of musical instruments based in NYC over the years. Most if not all of them had instruments built with their brand names on them by other companies. Chicago was the center of this universe of builders with Harmony, Kay, Regal and Lyon & Healy located there. There were other builders at times building in other places in the country. Oscar Schmidt in Jersey City, NJ was another. These builders not only built instruments with their own brand names on them, they also built instruments "for the trade". Some of these had brand names like your Stadium, some had no brand name. That way a retailer or teacher could label them and sell them as their own. Most simply left them unlabeled. In the case of the Stadium brand name I am unaware of the distributor that owned that name but I do know they were built by more than one builder over the years. You can find every thread with the word Stadium in it on the Cafe here (https://www.google.com/search?q=stadium+brand+name+mandolin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=stadium+site:mandolincafe.com).

What I see through the f hole doesn't look like mahogany to me.

allenhopkins
Nov-27-2015, 12:59pm
Stadium was a brand name owned by a distributor that was obviously in New York...I am unaware of the distributor that owned that name but I do know they were built by more than one builder over the years....

Info on the current owner of the "Stadium" nameplate, from guitarsite.com (2009) :

The Stadium Guitar brand was/is put out by Lou Capece Music. Lou started his own music distribution company in his garage in Long Island, NY and now has a huge company in Long Island. He produces guitars under the Stadium brand as well as other musical instruments. For exact info, you could probably reach Lou himself and ask, although he's very busy. 800.321.5584 is the phone number, and his extension is 1. Hope this helped!

Obviously this does not cover the mandolin under discussion, which predates Mr. Capece's era. A Google search reveals a large number of electric and acoustic guitars labeled "Stadium," and a possible relationship with another line of Asian imports labeled "New York Pro."

The older Stadium instruments -- mandolins, guitars and banjos -- that I located on-line, bear close resemblance to instruments produced by, and labeled by, Kay and Regal, large Chicago builders of entry-level instruments. Mike E above has explained clearly the relationship between distributors, who often owned trademarks like "Stadium" and applied them to instruments from various manufacturers, and the large American firms producing acoustic instruments in the early-to-mid-20th century.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-27-2015, 1:26pm
Stadium "might" have been a brand name of Sorkin in New York. I can find nothing about them in the usual places. :cool:

Justtheblues54
Nov-27-2015, 7:31pm
I appreciate all the help I know very little when it comes to acoustic blues grass style instruments! All this info is helpful nice to put somewhat a history on this lost piece my grandfather has had for years

DavidKOS
Nov-27-2015, 8:42pm
The Stadium Guitar brand was/is put out by Lou Capece Music. Lou started his own music distribution company in his garage in Long Island, NY and now has a huge company in Long Island. He produces guitars under the Stadium brand as well as other musical instruments. For exact info, you could probably reach Lou himself and ask, although he's very busy. 800.321.5584 is the phone number, and his extension is 1. Hope this helped!..... A Google search reveals a large number of electric and acoustic guitars labeled "Stadium," and a possible relationship with another line of Asian imports labeled "New York Pro."

I do business with Lou, he's quite nice and has some good deals. "Stadium" and "New York Pro" are indeed his current brand names along with "Danville".