PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info: Gibson F-5G Custom Derrington(?)

wolfcountry
Nov-22-2015, 2:50pm
I'm wondering if it is anything special or just a run-of-the-mill F-5G? It looks to be signed by Charles Derrington and from what I have read on the internet that means something sometimes, but not always? Any info would be appreciated.

I believe it's value is around $3000 unless the Derrington adds value. Does that seem right?

J Mangio
Nov-22-2015, 3:17pm
Interesting Truss Rod cover; Winterhawk was a festival in NY back in the day,
I believe the 98 indicates the year of the festival, I don't think it originally came with the mando
because according to the SN the mando was built 99...It's a beauty.

wolfcountry
Nov-22-2015, 3:22pm
The label may be hard to read, but it is dated July 13, 1998. It was a raffle prize at that festival.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-22-2015, 3:23pm
F5G's don't have a bound back. I'd grab that one.

The value of an F5G is around 3000.00. That case is also an upgrade. If it was me the truss rod cover would be in the case pocket. The tailpiece is also the cover used on the more expensive Gibson models. The more I look at that the better it looks.

almeriastrings
Nov-22-2015, 4:55pm
The back, neck and sides on that are also unusually well figured. A very nice example indeed, and AFAIK Mr Derrington signed very, very few F-5G models. It is certainly not "run of the mill", in fact a very desirable mandolin on several fronts.

wolfcountry
Nov-22-2015, 5:13pm
This is getting very interesting. Thanks for the info so far. It seems like I came to the right place to post this.

DataNick
Nov-22-2015, 5:31pm
The label may be hard to read, but it is dated July 13, 1998. It was a raffle prize at that festival.

According to your production label

The production date is July 10, 1999 the 3rd mandolin in production completed that day.

CD's signature is July 13 which makes sense, but he signed it 1998...one of them is wrong, and I'm betting it was 1999 for this reason: if it was a 1998 F5G Custom it would most likely be a Montana "transition" model that was completed in Nashville; and I don't know that he would put his signature on a mortise-tenon neck joint mandolin, as per Big Joe, Mr. Derrington was very particular about what he signed. Now a 1999 date in July would have had a dovetail neck joint (as does my July 26 1999 Flatiron Performer).

wolfcountry
Nov-22-2015, 5:59pm
Somehow the serial number must be wrong then(?) because the owner won it at the 1998 Winterhawk Bluegrass Festival which was July 16-19, 1998.

DataNick
Nov-22-2015, 6:15pm
Somehow the serial number must be wrong then(?) because the owner won it at the 1998 Winterhawk Bluegrass Festival which was July 16-19, 1998.

Gotcha!...I was thinking maybe the festival was in 1999..so here's how you can tell if the neck joint is mortise-tenon.

Remove the endpin and shine a pen-light through it and if there is a small screw where the neck block attaches, volia m-t; otherwise it's a dovetail. The difference potentially could affect resale value, but probably not seeing that Charlie D signed it...

J Mangio
Nov-22-2015, 6:27pm
Interesting that CD's sig is dated July 13, 1998, and the build date on the SN is July 10, 1999.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-22-2015, 9:03pm
Did you ever write down the wrong year? I have. :)

wolfcountry
Nov-22-2015, 9:16pm
The mandolin is getting a checkup and having new strings put on by a local luthier. I will check to see if it is dovetail or m/t neck joint in a couple days and post my findings.

It seems like this may be the the world's first time traveling mandolin!

Willie Poole
Nov-24-2015, 11:52am
Is it possible that the contest was at the 1998 festival but the mandolin wasn`t built at that time but built later on, If anyone was st that festival maybe they could say whether the mandolin was on display at that time...This is very interesting and I hope someone will have a 100% truthful answer...I do believe if the wrong date was printed on the label they would have noticed that and installed one with the correct date, but I guess someone other than Charlie installed the label, so who knows went on at that time?

Willie

AlanN
Nov-24-2015, 12:29pm
Or maybe CD got the boot after signing some labels but before he could glue them in - oh, wait - wrong Gibson guy/era/story - my bad... :))

wolfcountry
Nov-24-2015, 12:39pm
If anyone was st that festival maybe they could say whether the mandolin was on display at that time...

The owner won it at the festival in 98, but was not present when the winner was drawn. It was shipped to her and she received it a couple days later (still in July 1998 though).

Bob Bass
Nov-24-2015, 1:40pm
Noticed the top and back body binding on this one is white-black-white. Isn't that also a bit unusual for an F5G?

lenf12
Nov-24-2015, 7:04pm
Yes, F-5Gs are usually single bound top and unbound back. The back and side woods can be quite nicely figured but not quite like this mandolin. This is definitely a "custom" model a few notches above your run of the mill F-5G. Unbound peg head not withstanding, it's almost in F-5 territory. Mr. Derrington's signature could be a display of his confidence in its quality. It sure does look very nice.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Hendrik Ahrend
Nov-25-2015, 5:08pm
Body scroll, bridge, tail piece, head stock inlay, all that says "Nashville". I'd be surprised, if it wasn't a dovetail joint neck. Seems like a fine mandolin.

J.Albert
Nov-25-2015, 5:56pm
That's a beautiful instrument.

The wood and finish look more "Fern-like" than what one would expect to see on an F-5g.

Definitely "a cut above".

Are you buying or selling?

wolfcountry
Nov-25-2015, 6:18pm
Are you buying or selling?

I am doing neither. It belongs to a friend of mine and has been hanging on the wall in her house for the past 5 or 6 years unplayed. After she won it she tried to learn to play it but didn't stick with it. It was played for a while by her then husband, though I'm not sure how much.

I am trying to convince her to either start playing it again or sell it to someone who will use it. The value of it will probably determine which way she goes.

DataNick
Nov-25-2015, 8:22pm
...I am trying to convince her to either start playing it again or sell it to someone who will use it. The value of it will probably determine which way she goes.

wolfcountry you MAS enabler you...LOL!

almeriastrings
Nov-26-2015, 5:16am
That's a heck of a "wallhanger"....

T.D.Nydn
Nov-26-2015, 8:33am
She won it..but not in a mandolin contest I'm figuring,,so ,just curious,how did she win it?...

wolfcountry
Nov-26-2015, 9:11am
She won it..but not in a mandolin contest I'm figuring,,so ,just curious,how did she win it?...

She won it with a $5 raffle ticket. Not bad!

DataNick
Nov-26-2015, 11:14am

Now I'm really jealous...LOL!

darrylicshon
Nov-26-2015, 11:26am
I've got a better wall hanger i would love to trade

Bernie Daniel
Nov-26-2015, 3:43pm
Video from Winterhawk 1998.... Did Winterhawk become Grey Fox after 2001?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quEt4e7PJdo

wolfcountry
Nov-26-2015, 4:39pm
Yes. One of the promoters of Winterhawk left and took the name with him so it became Grey Fox.

Timbofood
Nov-26-2015, 10:17pm

I had the winning ticket but, gave it away!:))

RichieK
Nov-26-2015, 10:48pm
Error in typing.

RichieK
Nov-26-2015, 10:55pm
I believe that Hot Rize video was actually from 1989. We were at that show after the place crash and my wife was pregnant with our son, who is now 25.

FLATROCK HILL
Nov-27-2015, 6:03pm
I believe that Hot Rize video was actually from 1989. We were at that show after the place crash and my wife was pregnant with our son, who is now 25.

You are right RichieK. Flight 232 crash was in '89...as well as the haircuts the guys are sporting.

BrianWilliam
Nov-28-2015, 12:07am
I am trying to convince her to either start playing it again or sell it to someone who will use it. The value of it will probably determine which way she goes.

I'll use it. Sell it to me :)

wolfcountry
Dec-01-2015, 1:19pm
Remove the endpin and shine a pen-light through it and if there is a small screw where the neck block attaches

It does have 2 screws (possible allen head?) that are in the neck block.

DataNick
Dec-01-2015, 1:56pm
It does have 2 screws (possible allen head?) that are in the neck block.

Ding, ding!

Judges say: Bozeman made, Nashville finished F5G.

Now it will be interesting to see if it's X-braced or parallel braced. Someone can chime in on how to maneuver your hand thru the F-holes to find out...The greater revelation btw is that the carving graduations, neck profile, yadayadayada are according to specs that Jim Triggs inserviced the Flatiron luthiers on, and they used Charlie Derrington's Loar as a prototype. From there Steve Carlson said some minor modifications were made. This is a completely different mandolin spec than what Charlie D. was in the process of re-tool/implementing round about 1998.

Are they good mandolins? They can be excellent, good, so-so, just depends. My 94' F5L is killa!

lenf12
Dec-01-2015, 6:57pm
Ding, ding!

Judges say: Bozeman made, Nashville finished F5G...From there Steve Carlson said some minor modifications were made. This is a completely different mandolin spec than what Charlie D. was in the process of re-tool/implementing round about 1998.

Are they good mandolins? They can be excellent, good, so-so, just depends. My 94' F5L is killa!

I had a stunning '94 Carlson signed F-5L. Enjoy the pics below and the wipe drool off your chin :-)

141372 141374

Len B.
Clearwater

wolfcountry
Dec-02-2015, 9:03am
Thanks to all the feedback. This seems to be a special instrument in a number of ways and she has decided she will not sell it and she is going to start taking lessons. A very happy ending for this nice mandolin!

DataNick
Dec-03-2015, 12:08am
Sounds like a wise woman!