PDA

View Full Version : Heiden #69

64lusso
Mar-03-2004, 2:59pm
So how many of you would order a new, expensive custom built mando from a guy you have never met in person just on the strength of the fact that your favorite player knows the guy?
Well a little less than three years ago I did just that and what follows are photos of the results. I am not to happy with the photos and have only owned the camera (my first digital) for about two weeks. So what I am really looking for here is advice on how to take nice shots of musical instruments.
Quick story. My order instructions to Michael were very simple, I wanted it to look like a Loar and play and sound like something John Reischman would be happy with. Tone and playability were to take pecedence over fancy looking wood. Michael finished it up last fall and had another in the works right behind it. JR paid Michael a visit just after the second one was done and after playing them both said #69 was his pick of the two so I can say I have a John Reischman approved mando. It's also neat that by coincidence the serial number is the year I graduated from high school.

64lusso
Mar-03-2004, 3:02pm
another shot

64lusso
Mar-03-2004, 3:03pm
In this shot you can see the angle of the bridge which is something that may be unique to Heiden. The bridge foot is cut so that the bridge is 90 degrees to the top which makes the angle of the strings over the bridge equal both toward the peghead and toward the tailpiece. The result is the bridge leans slightly towards the rear.

64lusso
Mar-03-2004, 3:09pm
one more

64lusso
Mar-03-2004, 3:11pm
last for now

samuel
Mar-03-2004, 3:38pm
great looking mando... really nice! so how does it sounds?

Peakbagr
Mar-03-2004, 7:07pm
Great looking mando...Any reason the Gibson boys aren't complaining about the flowerpot, though?

neal
Mar-03-2004, 7:39pm
" a little less than 3 years ago" probably explains it...

Scotti Adams
Mar-03-2004, 7:41pm
..that flowerpot isnt the standard Gibson flowerpot so it may pass the 20 foot rule...its close...but isnt a direct hit..

mando doc
Mar-03-2004, 7:50pm
I believe, Michael calls that inlay a torch inlay. Nice mando! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Scotti Adams
Mar-03-2004, 7:54pm
,,now that I have went back and looked again....its not even close to a Gibson flowerpot....more of a torch as you said Doc....none the less....a very,very fine speciman...gorgeous...

Mar-03-2004, 8:16pm
Nice mando !

Mar-03-2004, 8:16pm
Nice mando !

64lusso
Mar-04-2004, 11:16am
OK guys enough about the flowerpot <G> I need some photographic advice what could I have done (other than get the peghead in focus) to make these better pictures?
As far as sound short story is I am extremely happy and my motivation level has been kicked up several notches for a bit longer thought look on the post about Heidens under in the Looking for information section.

Tom C
Mar-04-2004, 11:22am
Try using a darker or more neutral background as the mando shows little dark because not enough light was let into the lens. But the pics look fine to me.

mandopete
Mar-04-2004, 11:52am
Absolutely stunning! But then again, do we ever see anything less from Heiden?

Now this is #69, does that imply he has only built 69 mandolins ?

craigmurray
Mar-04-2004, 3:50pm
64lusso
Very nice. One of the first Heiden's I have seen in the photo section. #I have a Heiden on order and was wondering what he told you about the wood he used on the back. #I love the figure on yours. #Michael suggested I use either quartered maple or 30 degree off quarter maple that he has in his stash. #I know that is a very vague description but I was wondering if yours might be made of the same wood. #I guess I don't really know what wood 30 degrees off quarter would even look, but if it looks like yours that is what I want. #I too am going for a mando that sounds like JR's (who isn't). #Enjoy
Craig

jasona
Mar-04-2004, 8:44pm
That back looks to be the same cut as Andrew's if I remember correctly Craig.

RichL
Mar-05-2004, 1:56am
Howdy,

Here is Heiden #60 with 30 degree off quarter maple. This cut makes the wood look as if it has real depth. Very striking. The mando’s real color is more brown and not so red or yellow. I'm not sure how the jpeg is going to turn out or how big it will be. My first time posting a pix. If anyone has the bandwidth and wants higher resolution jpgs let me know and I’ll email them to you. Michael is making very beautiful and fine sounding mandolins.

Cheers,
Rich
ralevine@pobox.com

RichL
Mar-05-2004, 2:11am
A closer view.

craigmurray
Mar-05-2004, 9:22am
Rich
Thanks so much for posting those picture in response to my question to 64lusso. #That is some stunning wood on the back of that mando. These posts have been very informative to me, and will definately help me make some decisions regarding my future mandolin.

Jason
The back of Andrew's Heiden is one piece slab cut. #If you check out the photos here (http://www.users.uniserve.com/~mheiden/photos.html) Andrew's mando is the one on the left. #And after closer inspection of 64lusso's mando you might be right, it is very similar to Andrew's.

64lusso
Mar-05-2004, 10:15am
Craig,
The back of mine is slab cut, I think that's the only way to get a one piece back, which I didn't specify by the way, that was Michaels choice. The back on mine looks a good bit fancier in the pics than it does in person but I like it a lot. The edges under the darker stain look more like the fiddleback type of flame while the middle looks like it is heading in the quilt direction. If viewed from the tailpeice end the figure in the middle doesn't catch the light very much and the back looks almost plain. I told Michael I didn't care what the back looked like as you only see the sides when playing anyway. As far as the number made re my serial number I would assume it means that it's the 69'th F mandolin he's made but that's just a WAG on my part, never asked about his numbering system and I did not request that number.

64lusso
Mar-05-2004, 10:19am
By the way Craig, my name is Jay Jessup if you want to ask Michael what cut of wood he used in my Mando. Hopefully the view from the tailpiece end will be attached to this note.
Jay