PDA

View Full Version : Oakland, Maine

Baron Collins-Hill
Apr-30-2005, 1:24pm
does anyone know anything about mando related stuff going on near oakland maine? its right near augusta (the capital). any well mando-endowed stores around (bresideds buckdancers choice)?. any luthiers about (i already know about the phoenix shop) ?

thanks for any help

Steven
Apr-30-2005, 4:34pm
I know the guys down at Frost Gully Violin in Freeport work on mandos,pretty nice place except it is real obvious they are more into fiddles than anything else,nothing wrong with that I suppose but I think they are missing the boat not carrying more mandos.I live just south of Augusta,its a mando wasteland for stores,cant wait for the pickin season to get going!

Baron Collins-Hill
Apr-30-2005, 10:57pm
do you ever go to the blistered fingers festival in sidney?

Steven
May-01-2005, 5:27pm
No not yet,I have a hard time getting away and cant make as many as I would like.Thomas Point for sure and Whites Beach,I'm gonna try my best to do more this year.

Mandobar
May-02-2005, 9:36pm
there is a shop in freeport, maine that has some gilchrist's and is selling eastmans. it is actually a violin repair shop. not sure of the name but i will look.

Michael Gowell
May-03-2005, 4:34pm
Hi Guys - I'm in Kittery Point and haven't gone to a festival yet - if I could make only one, what do you suggest?

Michael Gowell

Steven
May-03-2005, 5:10pm
Absolutly ,positivly and without a doubt go to Thomas Point Beach(Brunswick,ME) Labor day weekend.I have friends in southern New England that say its the best in the New England states,and though I dont get to many these days I sure like this one,great location,facilities,camping spots,and some big name talent as well as the best field picking going.It is kind of pricey.Check out they're web site:Thomas Point Beach.

Baron Collins-Hill
May-04-2005, 2:40pm
if anyone can come up with the name of the shop in freeport, it would be much appreciated, im down there once in a while

Mandobar
May-04-2005, 3:28pm
here is the shop in freeport

http://www.frostgullyviolins.com/

the gilchrist mandolins are now gone from the website.

Stephanie Reiser
May-10-2005, 4:44am
There is an organization called the Maine Bluegrass Association. We have monthly jams during the winter months up near Newport where I live. We take the summer off, but will resume again next fall. It's pretty cool - about 50 musicians divide loosely into maybe 4 groups. You can just walk in and start playing chords, or whatever. I started to participate when I had my first mando only 3 weeks and only knew 3 chords. If any one is interested I can provide more info. And dont forget Blisstered Fingers this summer.
Stephanie

Baron Collins-Hill
May-11-2005, 9:34pm
ill be there for the early one at least, we should get a group together. ive got a cafe sticker on my case.