PDA

View Full Version : Who's played the newer Kentucky KM-252 (honey amber)????

bbaker2050
Nov-18-2015, 10:43am
I can't find many reviews from people who have played the newer version of the KM-252 with the honey amber finish. Anybody have any experience with these? I currently have the Loar LM-400, but the KM-252 is intriguing.........

Bruiser
Nov-27-2015, 1:48am
I just got a KM-252, and I really like it. The fit and finish is very good-- the frets are the best I've seen on an Asian instrument, the lacquer finish is very pretty, and the set-up was very good. I bought it from an acoustic instrument shop in Pasadena, CA, which employs a full-time luthier, and I suspect he had gone over the mandolin before they hung it on the wall.

My only minor complaint was that one of the E-string slots in the nut was cut a bit too deep. I didn't even notice it until I tried to lower the action a bit, then the string started ringing on the 1st fret. That was repaired at no charge.

I really like the honey amber color. it seems like a lot of instruments in that price range come with a sunburst finish, which I have never cared for. maybe the honey amber is a bit darker than I expected from pictures on-line, more of a tan or light brown, but it really appealed to me.

The tone is a lot brighter than what I have been playing-- a flat-top "Campfire" model built from Stew-Mac kit. Tomorrow will be the first time I play with people, and I am looking forward to it.