PDA

View Full Version : Article: Looking Forward with Sarah Jarosz

Scott Tichenor
Nov-15-2015, 6:30pm
You can view the page at http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content.php?172-Looking-Forward-with-Sarah-Jarosz

Jonathan James
Nov-15-2015, 9:43pm
Nice, comprehensive interview Brad. She's one of my favorites...and beyond her immense talent, her wonderful sense of humility and respect for the music is equally impressive.

Ron McMillan
Nov-15-2015, 10:37pm
Nice, comprehensive interview Brad. She's one of my favorites...and beyond her immense talent, her wonderful sense of humility and respect for the music is equally impressive.

Jonathan just said everything I was thinking. Great interview.

Darren Bailey
Nov-16-2015, 3:11am
Thanks for this. Met Sarah over here in the UK after a show and she couldn't have been a more humble, sweet presence. It's great to live in a world where people create such beautiful music.

JEStanek
Nov-16-2015, 10:33am
Wonderful.

Jamie

Flattpicker
Nov-16-2015, 12:03pm
She's such a treat. I saw her live when she was about 13, playing a set for the Austin Friends of Traditional Music with Erik Hokkanen. They were amazing together and I've enjoyed seeing/hearing her progress since then.

Randi Gormley
Nov-16-2015, 1:51pm
She was on the roster the first year I went to Grey Fox and was one of the highlights of that fantastic experience. A great musician. Thanks for this!

Mark Wilson
Nov-16-2015, 2:19pm
Just listened to some "I'm with her" videos. I am a fan

Interesting article - thx!

BradKlein
Nov-16-2015, 2:29pm
Thanks folks. Here is an I'm With Her out-take that I took at Sarah's 'Celebrate Brooklyn' concert. I like this one, even though nobody was looking my way! The encore was accompanied by a hand-clap rhythm section.

Any other Cafe regulars make the show? Sadly, thunder and lightning swept in just as the Punch Brothers began their set. (outdoors and no roof over the seats) Argh.

AND I notice that the gals JUST uploaded this U Utah song. Sweet.

http://www.facebook.com/Imwithherband/videos/1094175540592447/

darylcrisp
Nov-17-2015, 5:46am
the wife and I have saw her in concert twice-once a few years ago at Bristol Rhythm & Roots, she was on stage by herself-this was our first introduction of her music-it was great. She played mandolin, some banjo, and I think she had a J200 Gibson guitar she used for a few songs-she killed it.

A year or so later, we saw her in a small venue in North Carolina, can't remember the name now, something of an older small auditorium.

She is an amazing artist, so versatile.

Great story btw!
d

GRW3
Nov-19-2015, 12:07am
Wimberley was her home base but her mama took her around to other jams too. She was unfailingly polite and never, never precocious (in the negative sense which word is often used). Everybody knew she was way better than the rest of us and we encouraged her to let loose.

Jim Hudson
Nov-21-2015, 8:03am
As a frequent participant in those early Wimberley jams when Sarah and I were both learning to play mandolin (and Mike Bond was encouraging us both), and knowing Sarah's parents, I can say without reservation that she is one of those rare talents with a truly sweet and pure heart, and it comes out in her music in such a delightful and refreshing way. I look forward to watching what she will accomplish with her music and what her music can accomplish in this troubled world. Love what you're doing Sarah, Louise and I send all our love.

willysunday
Nov-30-2015, 11:10am

I can wholeheartedly agree with this statement. My first view of Sarah was on Transatlantic V sessions. She looks so much younger than her young years : ) But what talent and reverence for the music.

bill

BradKlein
Dec-13-2015, 11:33pm
I'm so happy to see that Sarah's new project, I'm With Her, got a rave from the NYTimes's Jon Pareles the other day.

Review: I’m With Her, Three Americana Virtuosos (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/arts/music/review-im-with-her-three-americana-virtuosos.html?_r=0)

I ran into Sarah tonight and asked her how the new/old Nugget mandolin was coming along. She's having it regretted and a strap button installed this week. Now THAT's the kind of detail you won't find in the Times.

BradKlein
Jul-12-2017, 2:52pm
Reviving this thread, for breaking news. It's great to see the hopes and plans that Sarah expressed in our interview two Summers ago, coming to fruition. Here's a video from I'm With Her, now the 'real band' that she promised us - with their first release of an original song by the group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zITEAK1i0k

ollaimh
Jul-16-2017, 10:19pm
her group with grisman and hargreaves is great. i bet the new one will be as well. there is a your tube video of her singing and playing ireland's green shore on banjo at the bluebird cafe. solo. a great rendition that i think she learned from tim o'brien. i play celtic traditional music but the blue grassy take is very entertaining to see, and her singing is fantastic. her song solo on banjo as well, of :"tell me true" is one of the best songs i have heard.

guidoStow
Jul-17-2017, 7:16am
I'm going to see I'm With Her with the Punch Brothers and Julian Lage next weekend. Can't wait!

BradKlein
Mar-28-2018, 1:53pm
NPR Music releases the I'm With Her Tiny Desk concert today. I don't know if I can imbed the video until they release it on youtube, but you can find it HERE (https://www.npr.org/event/music/597249653/im-with-her-tiny-desk-concert). The usual fine audio and video productions from the folks in DC.

JH Murray
Apr-04-2018, 1:25pm
https://youtu.be/7WNmrsbu-hc

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2018, 9:10am
Anniversary of this fine interview put together for us by Bradley Klein!

BradKlein
Nov-15-2018, 10:39am
Here is the I'm With Her 'Tiny Desk Concert' from a few months back. Now embeddable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WNmrsbu-hc

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2019, 10:14am
Noting the anniversary of this Bradley Klein interview published this date 2015.

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2020, 10:02am
Noting the anniversary of this fine interview put together by Bradley Klein.

BradKlein
Nov-15-2020, 12:05pm
Wow. Can't believe it's been five years since I sat down for a coffee with Sarah on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for the lovely chat that became this story. The pandemic's been so hard on some of our favorite musicians. Don't forget to support them with a music or march purchase if you have the $$$.

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2021, 8:09am
Noting the anniversary of this feature interview.

BradKlein
Nov-15-2021, 11:24am
Noting the anniversary of this feature interview.

I had the good fortune to catch Sarah in Bethlehem, PA a few weeks ago, with band. Great show, and my first indoor live show since the pandemic!

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2022, 8:38am
Noting the anniversary of this feature.

BradKlein
Nov-15-2022, 2:59pm
I had forgotten this line. “ So much of the beauty of the musicians we looked up to was the mystery. I mean, Bob Dylan wasn't posting "here's my breakfast." That's part of the mystique. You want to preserve some element of mystery — you don't want to give it all away. You don't want to say exactly what the song is about. ”

And here we are 7 years later, and with bob’s new book, I’m more inside his head Han I ever really expected. ��
T’sall good though!

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2023, 8:04am
Noting the anniversary of this feature.