PDA

View Full Version : Hi-New to things Mandolin

Mr5150
Nov-11-2015, 10:37pm
Me: A musician of 44 years. I play the Flute and Alto Sax. I love Blue Grass and Country, but honestly my instruments really don't work that well with those styles of music. Now that I am facing retirement, I decided to take up the Mandolin.

Ordered a The Loar 520 from Folkmusician. Both based on internet research. The outfit on what everyone said. The instrument on reviews and opinions, knowing full well that what person A prefers, person B may not care for. I know what I would recommend to a novice Flute player, but it would based on what I liked. So the 520 seemed like a safe bet. Folkmusician reminds me of a certain ski shop in Truckee that does every thing right before they ship their skis to you.

OK enough background stuff. I have lined up a guy to give me personal lessons. Comes with a case, ordered a Lakota Strap, spare strings, picks, have my wife's tuner.

Advice, tips? And thanks in advance

Denny Gies
Nov-11-2015, 10:53pm
Welcome to our wild, wacky world. Be prepared for a lot of fun, frustration. sore fingers, MAS (you'll learn what this is), and hours and hours of joy. Good luck.

Eric F.
Nov-11-2015, 10:54pm
My advice: Whup it like a rented mule and have fun.

Mr5150
Nov-11-2015, 11:07pm
Thanks.

colorado_al
Nov-11-2015, 11:10pm
Welcome!
Start listening to the David Grisman Quintet and you'll get to hear some amazing mandolin, and amazing flute. Soon enough I'm sure you'll be playing both along with them!
http://www.acousticdisc.com/music_swfs/chili_dawg.swf

zedmando
Nov-11-2015, 11:13pm
Welcome--I've been here less than a year--and learned some good stuff.

BrianWilliam
Nov-11-2015, 11:24pm
Welcome Mr5150!

Check out the Song of the Week Social Group (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?discussionid=413&do=discuss) for tons of material to learn.

choctaw61
Nov-11-2015, 11:26pm
Welcome to the Cafe! Congrats on Ur new mandolin.Get ready! It's solid entertainment around here!!!

Mark Gunter
Nov-12-2015, 12:18am
A hearty welcome! Kick off your shoes, sit a spell, and enjoy the tidbits and tomfoolery while you await the arrival of your new friend.

Mark Wilson
Nov-12-2015, 8:57am
There is a wealth of info archived in past threads here on the Cafe. In researching past threads I've found useful tips and advice that I had not known from monitoring current discussion. More helpful than tips/advice sometimes are the internet links folks post in threads that lead to information or resources that you never knew existed.

So take time to research and peruse old threads here. Like mining for gold - you never know when you'll find a nugget.

Happy picking. I just played a coworkers new theloar 500 and found it to play just fine. Learning on a mandolin that is not setup to it's potential can stunt your learning curve imo.

Beardog
Nov-12-2015, 9:01am
Welcome! Stay out of the classifieds, or they will soon consume you!!

9lbShellhamer
Nov-12-2015, 9:55am
Welcome!

Enjoy the ride!

journeybear
Nov-12-2015, 10:26am
Welcome to the Cafe! :mandosmiley:

Advice and tips abound here - never a shortage. Although you are far from a newbie, and are clearly one only in relation to the mandolin, you might try skimming through some newbie-oriented threads. This recent one (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?119589) contains yet another version of the incredibly fascinating story of how I got started. :grin: There are similar reminiscences from other members, and some useful information may well be gleaned there. Sometimes the basics get overlooked; they should get as much attention as advanced concepts.

LadysSolo
Nov-12-2015, 1:43pm
I am not new to musical instruments (similar to you.) I find the "playing tips and techniques" section of the Café particularly helpful in learning the mandolin. There are also free lessons on the Café. Enjoy! :mandosmiley:

K_Tech51
Nov-12-2015, 7:55pm
Hi, I'm also a flute player turned Mando player. Must say, I never felt as passionate about flute as I do about mando! Enjoy your new Loar, I'm sure you'll love it. And, good you got a teacher -- no better way to start out right.

Stacey Morris
Nov-12-2015, 9:18pm
Welcome Mr5150!

Mr5150
Nov-13-2015, 12:06pm
Hi, I'm also a flute player turned Mando player. Must say, I never felt as passionate about flute as I do about mando! Enjoy your new Loar, I'm sure you'll love it. And, good you got a teacher -- no better way to start out right.Encouraging to hear. This is my first attempt to play something with strings. My mando arrives Monday. I plan to have my first lesson Tuesday.