PDA

View Full Version : Vittorio Monti: Melodies For Two Mandolins

Martin Jonas
Nov-10-2015, 7:47pm
Vittorio Monti (1868-1922): Mélodies pour Mandoline avec accompt. d'une 2me Mandoline

1. Je pense à toi! (Petite valse) - 0:00
2. O ma belle Provence! - 2:29
3. Par un soir d'été - 3:33

These are the first three out of six duets for two mandolins which form part of Monti's mandolin method book. They are fairly basic and clearly intended for students, but they are charming. Very different from the composer's most famous work, the Czardas.

The first of these is a simple (even simplistic) waltz with a double-stopped rhythm accompaniment, the second a short and sweet andantino in 6/8 time for two tremolo voices and the third an andante tremolo melody with arpeggio accompaniment.

Available from Michael Reichenbach's site:

http://www.mandoisland.de/eng_index.html

Also from IMSLP (same scan as Michael's):

http://imslp.org/wiki/Petite_Methode_for_Mandolin,_Op.245_(Monti,_Vittor io)

Recorded on two vintage Italian bowlback mandolins.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin

2KlPlntqdCo

Martin

Bill Clements
Nov-14-2015, 1:19am
"Charming" indeed.
Thanks, Martin. Nicely done.

Martin Jonas
Nov-21-2015, 5:38pm
I have now got around to recording the remaining three duets in this collections, Nos. 4 to 6:

4. Un papillon! (Petite polka) - 0:00
5. Dans les roses! - 2:29
6. Pour la bien aimée! - 3:57

Same instrumentation as the first three duets in my original post above.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin

The final three duets are a simple polka, an andante in Bb major and an adagio in D major. All six duets are fairly simple, but they also manage to capture that elusive feeling of 1890s French romanticism. Their very simplicity saves them from the dated feeling of many other Golden Age mandolin compositions -- there is a timeless appeal (to me anyway) to these pieces.

6YLBNJcxSCE

Martin