PDA

View Full Version : Cooder/Lindley Live CD

Dagger Gordon
Apr-29-2005, 4:52pm
There's a live Cooder/Lindley Family Live CD available from David's site.Two 73 min CDs for $55. Anyone heard this stuff? Worth buying?

mandolooter
Apr-30-2005, 7:49am
If it Lindley I'd say yes for sure. Last time I talked with him he said he's recording and selling all his stuff to maintain total control over every aspect of it. His Twango Bango series are just awesome with lots of mando-related instruments throughout. Cooder's no slouch either!
To answer the original question, no, I haven't heard it...yet! A trip to his website will solve that! Another of my "musical heroes" per say. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dagger Gordon
Apr-30-2005, 11:45am
Actually it doesn't seem to be on his site yet; I responded to an advert he has in this month's Acoustic Guitar, where it says ask about Cooder Lindley Family CD. I got an e-mail back from Joan Lindley, saying they are selling it as a bootleg until they get the release forms! They're pressing more copies next week.
I'm not sure I completely understand, but there we are.

mandolooter
Apr-30-2005, 11:00pm
I seen that ad but just skimmed over it as i was eating lunch the other day...so they are bootlegging there own stuff, what a concept! Very very greasy Im sure...

Spruce
May-01-2005, 10:19am
What show did they release?
There one from Vienna in '95 that sounds like it should have been a legit release, so I hope they did...

Dig for it if you can, but try to get ahold of the recording of Ry and David in Osaka, Japan on 11/6/79....

Stunning stuff...

Mando content: #Ry wails on an F4 for about 3-4 tunes...
But the kicker is Lindley's lap steel work. #A Ricky through a Tweed Deluxe, and the tones and playing are very very sweet....

One of my desert island discs...
(2 actually)...

Lefty&French
May-01-2005, 3:55pm
Thanks, David and Bruce...
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dagger Gordon
May-02-2005, 1:22am
It is Vienna Opera House 1995

plunkett5
May-30-2005, 8:31pm
There's a fellow who pops up on E-bay now and then with a 5 CD set of live Cooder with 2 Cooder/Lindley concerts. Not That I'd admit to buying boots, but...they are great! The solo shows have some great mando stuff and as mentioned above, the Cooder/Lindley duets are monsters. Be honest, can you ever have enough Ry? I have two solo boots from a month apart IIRC, that are as different as can be. Great Stuff!

Spruce
May-31-2005, 12:51pm
There's a really cool video that's kicking around of Ry playing in Santa Cruz in the early 80's that I think did not get released because Ry didn't think it was up to snuff...
But it's out there...
I think Les Blank filmed it...?

Anyway, the band is huge and very cool...
The late Steve Douglas on sax, Jim Keltner on drums, Jorge Calderon on bass, Flaco on accordion, and Van Dyke Parks on piano...

It's a very fun show to watch if you happen to run into it...

Paul Hostetter
May-31-2005, 10:51pm
Santa Cruz? You sure? I witnessed every move those guys made here then, plus I was very close to Les Blank at the same time, and I sure don't remember Les filming anything of the sort. Or that lineup performing here. I'm pretty certain Ry's last appearance in SC was with the Chicken Skin folks, and that was a terrific concert. Taped by KUSP, but not filmed.

Spruce
Jun-01-2005, 12:13pm
"Santa Cruz? You sure?"

I wasn't when I previously posted, but I am now after having a look....
March 25, 1987 at the Catalyst...

" I witnessed every move those guys made here then, plus I was very close to Les Blank at the same time, and I sure don't remember Les filming anything of the sort."

I just went and had a look, and it's directed (and I assume filmed) by Les Blank...

"I'm pretty certain Ry's last appearance in SC was with the Chicken Skin folks, and that was a terrific concert. Taped by KUSP, but not filmed."

I got a copy of those tapes from you many years ago...
Great stuff and thanks!

Any chance of getting ahold of Les and finding out what the skinny is on this film? #
A Google search comes up with nada....
It's called "Ry Cooder and the Moula Band Rhythm Aces"...

It ain't no bootleg...
Many cameras, and it's well recorded....

I got a copy back in '88 in Japan (my copy has Japanese subtitles), and the story I heard was that the film was broadcast there once, and that was it...

My copy is not all that great, and would love to see the whole thing come out in good quality...
Yeah, Ry's Mandocaster is out of tune in a couple spots, but generally speaking it's one of the more entertaining shows of his that I've seen...
Very sweaty...

Why Ry didn't want it out there is a mystery...

And Van Dyke is too cool...

Dagger Gordon
Jun-02-2005, 3:25am
Listened to 'Into the purple valley' last night, old record, first time in ages.

Every now and again I spin these old vinyls. In many ways, my fave from these is 'Showtime'. Those versions of 'Jesus on the mainline', 'Dark end of street' and 'How can a poor man' are my favourite Cooder tracks of all, I think. Fabulous. Live, 1976. Perhaps it's the live feel that makes it, with a great band and singers and an audience which is audibly 'into it'.

I haven't heard any Cooder bootlegs at all, nor the Vienna release, but are they as good as this, or even better?

DAG

Spruce
Jun-02-2005, 11:01am
"Perhaps it's the live feel that makes it, with a great band and singers and an audience which is audibly 'into it'."

Also the fact that it was recorded at the Great American Music Hall in SF--just a great venue for live recording...

"I haven't heard any Cooder bootlegs at all, nor the Vienna release, but are they as good as this, or even better?"

Every Ry recording has gem or two, and in some cases the whole show is magical...

The aforementioned Vienna is a great listen because of the recording quality--just top notch...

Osaka '79 is an audience tape, but is one of those magical recordings...
Lindley's lap steel playing is just incredible, and this tape has been my lap steel lesson tape for years....