PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic-Electric Mandolins

MDMachiavelli
Nov-07-2015, 11:41pm
Over the years I have owned several mandolins and each one having been lower end entry level ones like the Fender FM-100 and similar. That being said, I've decided to spend a little money on one and I'm kind of set on getting a acoustic-electric. Several were brought up, Loar, Michael Kelly, and a few others. So when I went to Nashville a couple of weeks ago, I played as many mandolins as I could.

Were I live in Mississippi I just don't see a lot for sale, therefore most of what I see is on the internet. Before I went to Nashville the one that really caught my attention was the Michael Kelly Legacy Dragonfly. I thought it looked beautiful and I heard some good things about it.

But when I played them the one that really stuck out, to me anyway, was the Morgan Monroe MMS-9FE, it sounded better, played better, and when I plugged it into the a Fishman Loudbox Mini it sounded beautiful.

I guess I'm just wondering if it was a fluke, I really haven't heard a lot about the Morgan Monroe and I'm just curious about anyone's experience.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sevelos
Nov-08-2015, 10:35am
I don't know the Morgan Monroe. I'll just comment that people on the Cafe usually recommend the Godin A8 or the Ovation MM68 (not the 68AX model) for people looking for Electro-Acoustic mandolins. This Ovation model is not produced anymore. I have the Godin A8 and it sounds great amplified, but is very weak unplugged.

MDMachiavelli
Nov-08-2015, 11:30am
I should have clarified that I was looking for a traditional f style also. Thanks for the reply.

By the way, Tel Aviv is one of the best places I have ever been in my life. The citizens of Tel aviv and Israelis in general are some of the best people in this world.

Sevelos
Nov-08-2015, 11:51am
Wow, thanks MDMachiavelli!

MDMachiavelli
Nov-08-2015, 11:53am
Wow, thanks MDMachiavelli!

There reason I was there may have had something to do with it.

MDMachiavelli
Nov-08-2015, 5:36pm
Man I thought I would get more responses.

How about the Michael Kelly Legacy Dragonfly, how does it compare?

Jess L.
Nov-09-2015, 12:45am
Man I thought I would get more responses.

It's the weekend, people out of town or taking a break from computers 'n' stuff, also maybe see if there's anyone who could help over at the electric MandolinCafe (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?53-Four-Five-and-Eight-String-Electrics) forum? That's all I got... sorry... I like electric stuff too but my only playable mandolin right now is a $50 plywood Rogue :disbelief: with a cheap $29 stick-on transducer pickup going into a Roland Micro Cube amplifier, not very good sound quality but man I love that reverb :grin: and it's fun to plink around on... anyway I hope someone can give you a proper answer eventually. :)

Rob Beck
Nov-09-2015, 12:58am
I don't know about the particular model you are speaking about, but I was in a position to try two examples of the same model of a Kentucky KM505 side by side a while ago, and they sounded very different. So although maybe not a fluke, unless you go for the one you tried you may find the sound is not what you were expecting. Good luck in your search.

choctaw61
Nov-09-2015, 1:18am
I don't think u will get many good comments on the morgan monroe or Washburn around here.I heard a M3Ek washburn that sounded really nice at a music store.If U pick one up and it speaks to U buy it. I personally dont think u got to empy ur bank account to get something U enjoy.Good luck on whatever U decide on to buy

Tom Wright
Nov-09-2015, 1:41am
The MMS-9FE is perhaps a convenient solution, and although the Fishman bridge pickup is not as easily natural-sounding as some other systems it has the advantage of being capable of pretty high sound levels without feedback. If you liked the sound in a Loudbox I would go with it. The pickup system will sound the same in any copy of the mando so you don't have to consider variation. And playing feel can be addressed with setup work if it needs improving. You will need to have amplification that is happy with a piezo signal, and plenty of EQ to dial in what you want. (Basically all pickups are un-natural and need significant tone shaping.)

If the goal is being audible with amplification you'll do fine with that model. If you want to compete in acoustic jams that's another challenge. I started with a cheap Fender semi-acoustic, the one with a Tele pickup cut into the top. It served me well until I wanted something else.

lenf12
Nov-09-2015, 8:14am
A friend of mine who owns some very nice Gibson and Flatiron mandolins has recently bought 3 of these Epiphone MM-50E mandolins and swears by them both acoustically AND plugged in. He plans to keep the best of the 3 and probably sell the other 2. They're good looking and at ~$600 new just might meet your requirements.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/MM-50E-Professional-Electric-Mandolin.gc#productDetail

PS - it will most likely need a good setup if purchased new. The one I tried needed a setup with new American strings and intonation set a lot closer to correct.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Steve Ostrander
Nov-09-2015, 10:17am
I own a Godin A8, but I had a K&K pickup installed in my Breedlove American FF this year. The K&K sounds better. The Godin doesn't sound like an emando and it doesn't sound like an acoustic. It's somewhere in between.

lenf12
Nov-09-2015, 11:23am
I own a Godin A8, but I had a K&K pickup installed in my Breedlove American FF this year. The K&K sounds better. The Godin doesn't sound like an emando and it doesn't sound like an acoustic. It's somewhere in between.

I have not yet played a Godin A8 but I think the most critical factor is whether or not it's an 8 string vs. a 4/5 single string mandolin that defines the sound. I can get some reasonably convincing acoustic mandolin sounds from a solid body Tele shaped 8 string. You just have to dial back on the effects and get a "clean" signal with a splash of reverb/delay. It sounds very genuine to me and fits in well with the folk/rock/Americana material we do when we plug in. I love playing that loud and having so many choices for my sound at that time. It sounds very mandolinish which I think is more important to the presentation/performance than emando vs acoustic mandolin sounds.

A 4 or 5 string single course mandolin doesn't really sound like a mandolin imho. It sounds like a little (capo 12) 5ths tuned guitar so lavish yourself with the sound of all your favorite pedals. Much fun but a different animal.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

colorado_al
Nov-09-2015, 5:49pm
The problem with Morgan Monroe & Michael Kelly and the like is consistency. Some can be good and others not. So, if you buy the exact same model as the one you saw in Nashville, it may be good, and may not. I hate to say it, you should have bought the one you thought sounded the best at the time. You might want to contact the dealer where you played it and see if it is still available.

MDMachiavelli
Nov-09-2015, 8:20pm
The problem with Morgan Monroe & Michael Kelly and the like is consistency. Some can be good and others not. So, if you buy the exact same model as the one you saw in Nashville, it may be good, and may not. I hate to say it, you should have bought the one you thought sounded the best at the time. You might want to contact the dealer where you played it and see if it is still available.

Thats what I was afraid of, I may just have to do that.

mandroid
Nov-10-2015, 11:57am
Yea there is a difference between an Acoustic, with a Sound board pickup, sensing the Physical vibrations of the strings ..

and a Magnetic Pickuo sensing the motion of the string moving in the magnetic field created by the permanent Magnets.

The Magnetic pickup type will be less effected by a Heavy thick Top which is
less resonant .

lflngpicker
Nov-10-2015, 3:40pm
Howard Morris builds a nice F style. He is very willing to install a pickup while building. I have a Morris A with an oval hole in which Howard put a K and K mini twin with a strap pin. It works and sounds wonderful. Very natural. You can have a luthier do the same application in any mandolin you find to fit your playability and sound needs. I do have the Eastman MD605, which includes a pickup. They have a 615, which is an F style and includes a pickup built in. These can be very nice and affordable. My 605 was used and I got a price that was very affordable. Good luck!

MDMachiavelli
Nov-10-2015, 7:00pm
Howard Morris builds a nice F style. He is very willing to install a pickup while building. I have a Morris A with an oval hole in which Howard put a K and K mini twin with a strap pin. It works and sounds wonderful. Very natural. You can have a luthier do the same application in any mandolin you find to fit your playability and sound needs. I do have the Eastman MD605, which includes a pickup. They have a 615, which is an F style and includes a pickup built in. These can be very nice and affordable. My 605 was used and I got a price that was very affordable. Good luck!

I definitely check those out, thanks for the suggestion.