PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Macleod, George Duff & John Martin -2016 Celtic Connections

kmmando
Nov-05-2015, 10:16am
http://www.celticconnections.com/events/Pages/event.aspx?ev=d5249e62-e4d8-4f14-a262-a53301424d97

We have a gig at the 2016 Celtic Connections festival, in the lovely art nouveau Glasgow Arts Club. A good few songs and plenty mandolin and bouzouki action!
maybe see you there?

Cheers

Kevin Macleod

see the new cd "Highland Strands" at my website for a taste of the music!

kmmando
Jan-11-2016, 7:11am
http://www.celticconnections.com/events/Pages/event.aspx?ev=d5249e62-e4d8-4f14-a262-a53301424d97

Anyone coming along? Come and say hello! Plenty mandolin and bouzouki action!

https://vimeo.com/96949364

"Opening the show are the sterling Scottish trio of singer, guitarist and Burns aficionado George Duff, Kevin Macleod of The Occasionals, on mandolin, bouzouki and tenor guitar, and Tannahill Weavers’ fiddler John Martin, performing a mix of powerful songs and stringed instrumentals."

cheers

Kevin Macleod

Jess L.
Jan-11-2016, 11:55pm

Anyone coming along? Come and say hello! Plenty mandolin and bouzouki action!

https://vimeo.com/96949364

Great music! :mandosmiley: That website isn't the easiest to navigate though, does it have a calendar for future months too? All I found was the current month's calendar. Then again, nowadays I'm easily confused so maybe I just missed it? :confused:

kmmando
Jan-13-2016, 7:09am
No, its not great that website, and the festival runs for 3 weeks only ..... glad you liked the music though! Cheers!

neil argonaut
Jan-16-2016, 10:34am
Somehow missed this when looking through the brochure a while back, but will try and make it.

kmmando
Jan-17-2016, 9:56am
Hi Neil, hope you can make it! We are buried deep down in the listings, as obscure Scottish mandolin players tend to be! But we are there, and look forward to a good set of tunes and songs. We are on in the first half, 730 for 45 minutes or so, then the other act.

regards

Kevin Macleod

Mike Anderson
Jan-17-2016, 12:22pm
Hi Neil, hope you can make it! We are buried deep down in the listings, as obscure Scottish mandolin players tend to be! But we are there, and look forward to a good set of tunes and songs. We are on in the first half, 730 for 45 minutes or so, then the other act.

regards

Kevin Macleod

IMO there's something weird about a world where a Scottish trad mandolin player like yourself is obscure and buried deep in the listings of a Scottish festival calling itself Celtic Connections!

John Kelly
Jan-17-2016, 1:56pm
Celtic Connections has grown from the event you'd imagine from the title, Mike, to cover a very wide and eclectic choice of music nowadays. Donald Shaw, one of the founders of the great Scottish band Capercaillie, is the director of the event and he has managed to attract performers from all over the globe to develop CC into a huge and very wide compass of musical offerings.

Players like Kevin, and Dagger Gordon, can be overlooked or get "buried deep down in the listings. I have managed to hear Dagger and his son play two or three years back and caught Kevin along with his regular accordion-playing partner Freeland Barbour of the Occasionals at a ceilidh dance in Govan (an area of Glasgow) a couple of years back. The venues vary from small halls to Glasgow's big halls and there is just so much going on if you know where to look.

But I agree with you that it is odd that some of our finest players can seemingly be overlooked or pushed down the listings.

Mike Anderson
Jan-18-2016, 10:57am
Celtic Connections has grown from the event you'd imagine from the title, Mike, to cover a very wide and eclectic choice of music nowadays. Donald Shaw, one of the founders of the great Scottish band Capercaillie, is the director of the event and he has managed to attract performers from all over the globe to develop CC into a huge and very wide compass of musical offerings.

Players like Kevin, and Dagger Gordon, can be overlooked or get "buried deep down in the listings. I have managed to hear Dagger and his son play two or three years back and caught Kevin along with his regular accordion-playing partner Freeland Barbour of the Occasionals at a ceilidh dance in Govan (an area of Glasgow) a couple of years back. The venues vary from small halls to Glasgow's big halls and there is just so much going on if you know where to look.

But I agree with you that it is odd that some of our finest players can seemingly be overlooked or pushed down the listings.

It always ends up being about attracting the widest possible demographic with folk festivals, even to the point where the original idea is lost. Our local one has had plenty of rock, hip-hop and reggae acts and such such on the bill. Whatever the kiddies like I guess.

I have had the pleasure of corresponding with Kevin and he is very modest, once referring to himself as a journeyman musician. He must have something going on though, with people like Alec Finn, Luke Plumb etc collaborating. :grin:

neil argonaut
Jan-21-2016, 6:47am
Sorry, looks like I might not make it now, but all the best for the gig, hope it goes well.

It always ends up being about attracting the widest possible demographic with folk festivals, even to the point where the original idea is lost. Our local one has had plenty of rock, hip-hop and reggae acts and such such on the bill. Whatever the kiddies like I guess.

To be fair, with Celtic Connections I don't think this is the case, as they always make it clear that the whole idea of the festival is not only to present Scottish and Irish music, but to explore the connections between it and music from further afield. As opposed to Rock and Hip-hop, it tends more to be music from africa and india, sometimes in collaboration with scottish musicians, and certainly not stuff that draws kids in. Also, lots of lineups normally exploring the connections between music from here and older american musical traditions or music from brittany, galicia etc.
If anything, the stuff that seems to sell out and pack the crowds in tends to be the acts from scotland and ireland, so I think their inclusion of music from around the world is less about attracting a wider demographic and more about exposing the demographic that does go to a wider perspective.

I'm sure this isn't the case for all "folk" festivals though, and I've heard it's an increasing problem for Jazz festivals, which often have a large percentage of acts which aren't jazz.

Mike Anderson
Jan-21-2016, 12:31pm
To be fair, with Celtic Connections I don't think this is the case, as they always make it clear that the whole idea of the festival is not only to present Scottish and Irish music, but to explore the connections between it and music from further afield. As opposed to Rock and Hip-hop, it tends more to be music from africa and india, sometimes in collaboration with scottish musicians, and certainly not stuff that draws kids in. Also, lots of lineups normally exploring the connections between music from here and older american musical traditions or music from brittany, galicia etc.
If anything, the stuff that seems to sell out and pack the crowds in tends to be the acts from scotland and ireland, so I think their inclusion of music from around the world is less about attracting a wider demographic and more about exposing the demographic that does go to a wider perspective.

I'm sure this isn't the case for all "folk" festivals though, and I've heard it's an increasing problem for Jazz festivals, which often have a large percentage of acts which aren't jazz.

Pleased to hear it! :)

Nigel Gatherer
Jan-21-2016, 6:17pm
Alas, I was working in Edinburgh tonight, or I would have loved to come to the gig. I'm sure you ripped it up!

Teejay
Jan-22-2016, 2:17pm
Great to see Kevin, George and John last night - some fine instrumental sets derived largely from the Highland Strands CD and songs from George very ably accompanied by the other two.
Put this excellence in the Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed interior of the Glasgow Art Club and it was a memorable evening - thanks guys.

It was also very enjoyable to see Tim Dalling with Ian Carr and Neil Harland + Tim's daughter Rhona perform a set full of humour and no little poignancy.

kmmando
Jan-23-2016, 8:49pm
Thanks Tim!

Here's the opener!

https://vimeo.com/152754361

John Kelly
Jan-25-2016, 1:28pm
Great lift to the tunes, and what a venue, Kevin. Sorry i missed this one but it was great to meet up again at Freeland's concert and catch up with Tim as well.

Teejay
Jan-26-2016, 2:55pm
Good to see you too John - and to hear you're busy with your mandolin building.

It was an impressive venue - Kevin's 1920's National tricone tenor looked very much at home - I wonder if it made it home?

Tim

kmmando
Jan-26-2016, 6:31pm
This old dazzler?

https://vimeo.com/153013212